Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Cut and Turn front axle to fix caster

Old 01-14-2010, 11:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For all the work, why not cut, rotate, weld, sleeve?
Old 01-17-2010, 11:48 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AMMoyer
Why not some offset ball joints? Set your pinion where you want it, measure your caster and install appropriate offset ball joint to get the caster you want. The ones I know of come in 1/2degree increments up to 2 degrees max and have a grease fitting. Seems like a far easier job to me and should get you the best of both worlds.

I've heard of them being used on XJs to adjust Caster but combined with adjustable CAs it might work.

Interesting idea ...
Old 01-21-2010, 06:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spinlock
I've heard of them being used on XJs to adjust Caster but combined with adjustable CAs it might work.

Interesting idea ...
I did just that with mine. its a d 30 though but same idea. I have a total of 7 degrees of wheel caster but its the same as 5.5 degrees without them. You can do them yourself in your driveway in about 3-4 hours with a press from the parts store. Rides great now.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:39 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

For some people, 2° with an adjustable ball joint isn't nearly enough to have good caster AND good pinion angle.
Old 01-24-2010, 07:46 AM
JK Newbie

I had to do what you are talking about on my CJ8. I put a pipe clamp around the axle tube (to get a straight cut) used my portable bandsaw and cut through the tube. after having the tubes cut I ground the ends to a bit of a point for penetration reasons being careful to leave a slight lip on the inside. when it came time to go back together I clamped angle iron to help align the tube back up and only tacked till i was 100% sure all was straight. I used a wire called "dual shield" it is supposed to be stronger than 7018 rod. When all was done I did not sleeve the tube or strengthen the axle in any way and it is holding up good.

I was able to point the pinion at the transfer case and used a dual cardon CV joint. the drive shaft has a 12 long slip joint and that has never giving me problems pushing 40" tires.

good luck!
Old 01-24-2010, 12:27 PM
JK Newbie

why not, press out the tubes and replace them with a heaver tube while your at it,,,,, building a jig should be easy enough so if you do decide to do it,,,, i would just replace everything..... get what you need, weld it up solid and brace it while it's out.....
Old 02-10-2010, 01:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Not a JK, but here is how it was done on an early bronco.
http://www.broncofix.com/viewtopic.p...ghlight=caster
Tom
Old 02-10-2010, 01:39 PM
JK Newbie

I've just done this on a D30 as an experiment - the axle had already been sleeved, so I was not sure how well it would cut.

We ground out the welds between the axle tubes and the diff housing, and rotated the housing by 5 degrees relative to the axle before welding it back in place.

The whole axle assembly was clamped down on the bed of a big lathe whilst we did the work in order to keep everything else in it's place. It did take a fair amount of force to rotate the housing.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:19 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The track bar bracket alignment might be a concern depending on how much you try to rotate the C.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:54 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Dynatrac
The track bar bracket alignment might be a concern depending on how much you try to rotate the C.
I was hoping to minimise that by rotating the center - the C's have not moved relative to the control arm brackets - I have a full set of adjustable control arms to set caster at the C, but now I can also have minimal pinion angle for the drive shaft.

Quick Reply: Cut and Turn front axle to fix caster