Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Custom Tube Fender Idea

Old 11-19-2009, 11:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom Tube Fender Idea

Okay so many people have voice their concern of how big of a hit the aftermarket steel tube fenders can take. Since they are not bolted to the frame, many argue that the body will take damage if the tube fender takes any decent sized hit.

So here is my idea. . .

With a tube bender, I plan to make a set of tube fenders that will weave through to the frame rail. At the end of each tube will be a piece of 3/16 steel plating welded to cap it off so it can be bolted and welded perfectly flat to the frame rail. Then once the tubing is assembled, with 1/8 steel plating I will make the flat top of the fender follow the tubing and then weld it on flush.

If anyone sees any flaws or has any recommendations please feel free to chime in.

I also plan to fabricate a tire carrier similar to the one on Mel's rig from Evo that will connect to the hinges from the Or-Fab Tire carrier since that is the one I am currently running, comments on this are also welcome
Old 11-19-2009, 11:09 AM
JK Newbie

One thing to consider is vibration. The body is isolated from the frame via rubber doughnuts in the body mounts to keep the inside of the cab quiet and more livable. If you tie the fenders to the frame and the body it's likely you'll be transmitting unwanted vibration into the body.

I'm sure you can rig up rubber isolators into your setup, but better to think about it now in the planning stages.

-Randy
Old 11-19-2009, 11:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by N30EX
One thing to consider is vibration. The body is isolated from the frame via rubber doughnuts in the body mounts to keep the inside of the cab quiet and more livable. If you tie the fenders to the frame and the body it's likely you'll be transmitting unwanted vibration into the body.

I'm sure you can rig up rubber isolators into your setup, but better to think about it now in the planning stages.

-Randy
Touche my friend, never really thought of that. Perhaps I can find a way to make a small rubber seal along the inner edge of the 1/8 steel plate and the body, kind of like a barrier between the two.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:35 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by So_Cal_Tay_12
Okay so many people have voice their concern of how big of a hit the aftermarket steel tube fenders can take. Since they are not bolted to the frame, many argue that the body will take damage if the tube fender takes any decent sized hit.

So here is my idea. . .

With a tube bender, I plan to make a set of tube fenders that will weave through to the frame rail. At the end of each tube will be a piece of 3/16 steel plating welded to cap it off so it can be bolted and welded perfectly flat to the frame rail. Then once the tubing is assembled, with 1/8 steel plating I will make the flat top of the fender follow the tubing and then weld it on flush.

If anyone sees any flaws or has any recommendations please feel free to chime in.

I also plan to fabricate a tire carrier similar to the one on Mel's rig from Evo that will connect to the hinges from the Or-Fab Tire carrier since that is the one I am currently running, comments on this are also welcome
We were just talking about this in another fender thread but a guy is custom making and fitting tube fenders to my JK next week. He is going to do the same thing you are speaking of and guarantees it will work well and doing all 4 for around $600; at least that's the plan. I'm glad I saw the rubber isolator idea though....gonna bring that one up during the build. He is going to document and take plenty of pics and so will I. I will post all of it up when finished. Good luck with your build!
Old 11-19-2009, 11:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by TesticleTrailer
We were just talking about this in another fender thread but a guy is custom making and fitting tube fenders to my JK next week. He is going to do the same thing you are speaking of and guarantees it will work well and doing all 4 for around $600; at least that's the plan. I'm glad I saw the rubber isolator idea though....gonna bring that one up during the build. He is going to document and take plenty of pics and so will I. I will post all of it up when finished. Good luck with your build!
Good to know Im not the only one thinking of this idea Probably wont start for about a month still but I just wanted to get the idea out there for some constructive criticism. Definitely take a step by step on your build, it will help quite a bit
Old 11-19-2009, 01:43 PM
JK Junkie

A friend of mine had the idea of making the tubes out of galvanized to they crush instead of the body.....not to mention welding with galvanized is so much better for your brain cells
Old 11-19-2009, 01:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dyolfknip
A friend of mine had the idea of making the tubes out of galvanized to they crush instead of the body.....not to mention welding with galvanized is so much better for your brain cells
seems like a good idea but how much force would it take to crush it though, wouldn't want to replace a fender everytime i hit something. Just curious
Old 11-19-2009, 01:50 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Optus
seems like a good idea but how much force would it take to crush it though, wouldn't want to replace a fender everytime i hit something. Just curious
Not much I don't imagine. I am sure it could take a rub ( we worry about trees here, not rocks)
but then again in 3 years of wheeling mine pretty hard I have only punched in my rear fender once. And that was at Rausch creek this past Oct.
Old 11-19-2009, 03:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are a few of us with similar fender fabbing ideas, unfort I'm still in the thinking, not doing stage with this front Exo style tubing. Great if it gives you ideas, or if you have better ideas I'd love to hear 'em :

Run a tube brace along the width of the grill and on each side then fork with a 'Y' split to two tubes 6" inches apart above the wheelwell to form a base for fenders. Bolt 8"x24" sheet metal onto tubes to form the fender.

The front brace along grill would be slightly higher than hood acting as a rollhoop, and also tie into the front bumber, therefore keep both fenders solid and prevent body damage.

The double fender tubes would then 'Y' into a single tube and tie in to side rock rails and chassis rails.

Exo style, the tubes and fenders wouldn't need to touch the body at all.
Old 11-19-2009, 03:05 PM
JK Junkie

ive been tossing this tube fender concept around...anyone want to hear the crazier ideas?

Quick Reply: Custom Tube Fender Idea