Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Custom tow trailer?

Old 01-10-2012, 06:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom tow trailer?

So i'm planning out a hemi jku build, and i've got a challenge. The build concept is for a tow and trail recovery jku. I'm concerned about how well the jku will handle towing a jk on a trailer, and a suggestion was made that the trailer needs to be lightweight, with a low tongue weight.
Does anyone have experience with trailer design? I need to know if its possible to design a trailer that will meet my specific needs.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Aluminum is your friend...... Are you talking about building an off-road capable drive on car trailer? The trailer won't be the hard part. The hard part will be modifying the jeep enough to safely tow another jeep and the trailer...

Last edited by OverlandJKU; 01-10-2012 at 07:28 AM.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:35 AM
JK Super Freak

That's my concern... And I've been talking to aev to cover the jeep side. They are telling me the trailer design is important
Old 01-10-2012, 05:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Buy a rollback tow truck that you can load and tow the recovery jeep out to the beginning of the trail. Rescue the other jeep, and if it needs to be towed you can double down with both jeeps.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by minime
Buy a rollback tow truck that you can load and tow the recovery jeep out to the beginning of the trail. Rescue the other jeep, and if it needs to be towed you can double down with both jeeps.
I think you completely missed the point
Old 01-11-2012, 08:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nwapache

I think you completely missed the point
How did I miss it
Old 01-11-2012, 10:35 AM
JK Newbie

google up youtube BSF recovery vids.

Many trails I have wheeled are almost outside of a full sized pick up possibility without some serious trail blazing. Add a trailer capable of recovery of a vehicle, not really possible.

Short of broken steering, a tow strap is a better and safer option getting a broke rig out of the woods.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

I worked for a tow co. In bend Oregon we used a lifted and locked f250 diesel with a sling hoist. Yes it was big and hard to get through some places, but it always got the job done. I don't think a jeep is a good base for a recovery vehicle. I would trade the jiu in for a power wagon, and you don't have to worry about putting a hemi in it or locking it. Just some kind of hoist and your off to the races.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:26 PM
JK Super Freak

I'm looking for an excuse to build a hemi jku. I like the idea of taking two jeeps out to the trail. Because the jku isn't rated for that much weight, I need to build a trailer that will help to compensate, thus the purpose of this thread.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:29 AM
JK Newbie

Well, with the right drivetrain and set up you can certainly do it. I was referencing trying to turn it on tight trails etc.

It is kind of funky and you are going to spend a lot of time engineering it, the key will be getting it balanced, and high enough.

Quick Reply: Custom tow trailer?