Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Custom Tire Carrier, Your Opinion Please

Old 08-21-2009, 10:52 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jkJason
Ya I know but still....If I'm going to spend the time an effort I'd want it as strong as possible, but thats my opinion. I talked to orfab a while back and i believe the weight limit was set because of how the carrier mounts to the body and not the carriers ability to handle the weight. After a few years with a heavy tire it might start damaging the body.
The weight is not on the body. It's on the bracket which happens to be on the body.

Don't think that the other method (spindle-type hinges) is fail proof. Here's a link to a thread about broken spindle-type hinges. http://www.*********.com/forum/showt...t=tire+carrier
Old 08-22-2009, 10:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Why not move your tire to the driver side for better rear view and put the gas cans next to the tire for less over hang .
Old 08-25-2009, 12:58 PM
JK Super Freak

oh come on...i know you guys love my drawing, aint it reminiscent of kindergarden? Seriously though anybody have any thoughts?
You did it all wrong......thats supposed to be on a cocktail napkin....

corey d
Old 08-25-2009, 05:46 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by STUPIDFACE
You did it all wrong......thats supposed to be on a cocktail napkin....

corey d
lord...seriously everytime someone posts on this im like aww crap..again..really lol. Bahh. I'm working on a drop in tool box and decided not to post my 'sweet' drawings of it haha. I'll post it up once its done though.
Old 08-28-2009, 01:36 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Default Tire Can/Carrier

I'm in the process of designing a carrier cause nothing on the market meets my requirements. The objective: Carrier up to a 40 inch tire plus 2 cans, either gerry or water cans. I'm not fond of how LOD and Shrockwrks mount their cans on the side..too exposed for me and looks sloppy. I'm trying to design something akin to the off road fab carrier but mount it to a bumper for maximum strength. I'm thinking of getting a LOD bumper w/o the carrier and installing a double hinge on it for the carrier. Primary hinge will mount in the bumper, the second hinge I'll weld onto a support column. Has anyone done/seen anything like this? Also anyone with experience building carriers I'd love to hear from you. I just sketched these up...they're rudimentary at best and my scanner keeps cutting the top off, but hopefully you get the idea of what I'm trying to accomplish. Thanks everyone

Rear View:

Top View:

Side View:

JKJason,

Here are some photos of our OR-FAB JK Tire Can/Carrier with KM2 37" tires with two 5 gallon Jerry cans full of fuel at the Rubicon Trail. The most recent
trips where to the Rubicon Trail which we did twice in three week time period this month.

We have not experienced any problems with any fatiguing in the material or rattling.

I'm not sure how much your tire and rim weighs but our max load is 175-200 lbs. I would be more than happy to talk to you and see if we can help.
The other nice feature about our OR-FAB Tire/can carrier is you can run any rear bumper you want. Check out some of OR-FAB products.

I hope this has been some help.

Happy Trails,

Steve
Old 09-03-2009, 07:48 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ibrocun
The weight is not on the body. It's on the bracket which happens to be on the body.
Take a couple minutes and read the install thread https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/fab-tire-carrier-install-53792/ I did on the OR-Fab carrier. In NO way is it "Body Mounted"
Old 09-03-2009, 11:34 PM
JK Freak

Thanks for all the input I really appreciate it, but again I'm still scrappin the idea. Decided to take another route. You guys will all be the first to see it as I'm sure I'll make a post for it as I'm building it. Thanks again for the support
Old 09-11-2009, 01:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Im sporting the or-fab swing away posted above and love
Old 09-23-2009, 10:28 AM
JK Newbie

It looks good just remember that the more stress you put on the hinges the more likely it is to vibrate going down the highway. Make sure the latch has a good securing system; I had some issues with my latch rattling open when I first got my bumper.
cheers
Old 09-24-2009, 12:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

It is nice but I want to be able to do this to my tailgate:
Thats sweet wish i new how to do that

Quick Reply: Custom Tire Carrier, Your Opinion Please