Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Custom Tire Carrier, Your Opinion Please

Old 07-30-2009, 10:02 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

just two things, did this carrier ever got made? and why is this in the extreme section...............
Old 07-31-2009, 07:48 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have built a bumper like you are drawing on my old CJ8 and it didnt work out for a couple of reasons.

1. the hinge. I tried to make my own with a bolt and some brass washers as a bearing. the carrier came open on a bumpy trail and the 1' bolt bent, and I think it was a grade 8 bolt. get the trailer spindle that guys are using now and that might help.
also you did not go into detail on the 2 hinge idea you had (or I just dont understand) if you were, to say, swing the tire out from the pasenger side and then swing the fuel cans out from the driver side, having split the weight onto two different hinges might help.

2. I know it was a Scrambler and my departure angle sucks any way but that tire out there almost scrapped on my driveway leaving home. the higher you move it the further away from your hinge point you are.

my 2 cents
Burt the Rocket Surgeon
Old 07-31-2009, 10:11 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by robin
just two things, did this carrier ever got made? and why is this in the extreme section...............
Naw I scrapped it after doin more research. If you read the discussion board description on the home page you'll see this is the section for custom metal work and welding.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:14 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Heng'n out
I have built a bumper like you are drawing on my old CJ8 and it didnt work out for a couple of reasons.

1. the hinge. I tried to make my own with a bolt and some brass washers as a bearing. the carrier came open on a bumpy trail and the 1' bolt bent, and I think it was a grade 8 bolt. get the trailer spindle that guys are using now and that might help.
also you did not go into detail on the 2 hinge idea you had (or I just dont understand) if you were, to say, swing the tire out from the pasenger side and then swing the fuel cans out from the driver side, having split the weight onto two different hinges might help.

2. I know it was a Scrambler and my departure angle sucks any way but that tire out there almost scrapped on my driveway leaving home. the higher you move it the further away from your hinge point you are.

my 2 cents
Burt the Rocket Surgeon
Not a bad idea about using two hinges, one of each side. Still gonna scrap it and do a rear stinger tho. In all reality I would probably only use the jerry cans about once a year so...ya. Thanks for everyones input though I appreciate it.
Old 08-10-2009, 03:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jkJason
Not a bad idea about using two hinges, one of each side. Still gonna scrap it and do a rear stinger tho. In all reality I would probably only use the jerry cans about once a year so...ya. Thanks for everyones input though I appreciate it.
Once a year? Wow, Ive used mine probably 15-20 times since ive gotten them, anything from extended trips to helping friends who run out of gas on the side of the road. But most of all, the piece of mind know youve got a spare ten gallons on the back, eases the mind and everyone else on the trail run a little bit too
Old 08-14-2009, 05:19 PM
JK Freak

The or fab can only hold up to a 35 though, it's cause its body mounted. I'm lookin to build something a little stronger. The lod bumper unfinished w/o carrier is the base platform I'm gonna start with though.
NOT True....here is mine with a 37 inch Krawler. Judging by the way it mounts I dont see any reason you couldn't stick a 40 on an OR-Fab carrier.

Old 08-15-2009, 06:29 AM
JK Newbie

Looks good.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:58 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by brent_f70
NOT True....here is mine with a 37 inch Krawler. Judging by the way it mounts I dont see any reason you couldn't stick a 40 on an OR-Fab carrier.

I respectfully disagree lol..

I'm workn on a new design but I'm gonna wait tell I can get the google cad thing down so I don't have to post anymore 'napoleon dynamite' style notebook sketches haha.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:18 AM
JK Freak

I respectfully disagree lol..

I'm workn on a new design but I'm gonna wait tell I can get the google cad thing down so I don't have to post anymore 'napoleon dynamite' style notebook sketches haha.
Read the entire thread that you got that pic from....that one did not have the tire SNUG up against the carrier. The leverage of that moving weight caused the failure. My carrier was on long before he bought that one...and has a lot more weight on it without so much as a squeek!
Buy what you want but throwing them all in the same bucket based on one pic isn't a good idea. I can find lots of broken pics of just about anything you want but it is not always the products fault. Hell look at all the leaking hard tops on JK's....yet most of us still have them and the majority of them don't leak!!
Old 08-17-2009, 11:38 AM
JK Freak

Ya I know but still....If I'm going to spend the time an effort I'd want it as strong as possible, but thats my opinion. I talked to orfab a while back and i believe the weight limit was set because of how the carrier mounts to the body and not the carriers ability to handle the weight. After a few years with a heavy tire it might start damaging the body.

Quick Reply: Custom Tire Carrier, Your Opinion Please