Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Custom Tire Carrier, Your Opinion Please

Old 06-04-2009, 06:45 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom Tire Carrier, Your Opinion Please

I'm in the process of designing a carrier cause nothing on the market meets my requirements. The objective: Carrier up to a 40 inch tire plus 2 cans, either gerry or water cans. I'm not fond of how LOD and Shrockwrks mount their cans on the side..too exposed for me and looks sloppy. I'm trying to design something akin to the off road fab carrier but mount it to a bumper for maximum strength. I'm thinking of getting a LOD bumper w/o the carrier and installing a double hinge on it for the carrier. Primary hinge will mount in the bumper, the second hinge I'll weld onto a support column. Has anyone done/seen anything like this? Also anyone with experience building carriers I'd love to hear from you. I just sketched these up...they're rudimentary at best and my scanner keeps cutting the top off, but hopefully you get the idea of what I'm trying to accomplish. Thanks everyone

Rear View:

Top View:

Side View:
Old 06-05-2009, 12:03 AM
JK Freak

oh come on...i know you guys love my drawing, aint it reminiscent of kindergarden? Seriously though anybody have any thoughts?
Old 06-05-2009, 01:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Looks kinda like a bumper-mounted OR-FAB carrier. If you like the design and can build it, who cares what anybody else thinks. Get fabbin'
Old 06-05-2009, 03:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Looks good
Old 06-05-2009, 04:00 AM
JK Freak

I like it. I want to see what it looks like when it's done. You could make one for me too
Old 06-05-2009, 04:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just something to think about.....

Would it be smarter to have the tire (since it is heavier) closer to the body and the cans on the outside? Build a lightweight protective cage on the outside of the tire to protect the cans.

The more stress you put on the hinges and the attachment point to the bumper, the sooner you will get metal fatigue, bearing wear etc.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Your spare is gonna stick WAAAAAY aout there.
Thats alot of weight at a long distance away from the mounting point.
take a bucket of water (spare) and hold it in your hand.
brace your elbow 9mounting point) against your hip.
kinda heavy...
now move the handle in closer to your elbow, it gets a little easier to hold...
I'm just say'n
Old 06-05-2009, 04:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

dang-it preacher, you beat me...
Old 06-05-2009, 08:14 AM
JK Freak

My suggestion would be to add another pilar to the drivers side to help with the protruding weight of the spare tire. Adding latches to top and bottom would be nice.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:48 AM
JK Freak

If you want the cans inbound of the spare, what about mounting the spare at an angle so that the top is closer to the Jeep? I figure this would move the weight back towards the hinge/latch, and would still give plenty of room to access the cans.

Quick Reply: Custom Tire Carrier, Your Opinion Please