Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Custom modular JK hardtop

Old 12-31-2014 | 03:35 PM
JK Newbie

Thumbs up Awesome

Awesome work. I've been thinking of making one practically exactly like these for my JKU, myself, but I am lazy and would rather just buy one. Heh.

Put me in the same camp wishing you would produce these instead of licensing. Lol.
Old 12-31-2014 | 06:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by wrex
Awesome work. I've been thinking of making one practically exactly like these for my JKU, myself, but I am lazy and would rather just buy one. Heh.
Thank you. And good decision, doing a project like this from scratch is definitely not for the lazy .

Originally Posted by wrex
Put me in the same camp wishing you would produce these instead of licensing. Lol.
I really have no interest in being in business to sell anything. I do these projects because I enjoy the design process and I enjoy bringing the design to life by building the first prototype. After that, I'd much rather move on to my next creative project than build more of the same to sell. In fact, only once have I even tried to find a company to license any of my designs, usually I just move on to the next creative project if no company takes the initiative to contact me. Probably this one will go the same way - I'll build the first prototype and if nobody contacts me to express interest I'll move on to my next project (which I'm already doing some design work on BTW ).

But I always keep the molds for every project so I can make more in the future if I find a reason to.
Old 12-31-2014 | 06:38 PM
JK Newbie

This is awesome; excellent work! I wish I had the talent and time to build something like it. I hope someone decides to produce it; this is an aftermarket top that I would purchase.
Old 12-31-2014 | 07:11 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jscherb
Thank you. And good decision, doing a project like this from scratch is definitely not for the lazy .

I really have no interest in being in business to sell anything. ...
I feel exactly the same way, which is why I got out of the gun business, myself. I used to be part of an FFL w/ SOT and design/manufacture suppressors (and other things).
Love the design aspect and build part, not the dealing with people/customer parts. lol.

Originally Posted by jscherb
But I always keep the molds for every project so I can make more in the future if I find a reason to.
Um....I'll pay you to make me one. Reason enough? rofl!!!!! I know, I know. Highly doubtful. :-P

I still may do it myself. I have quite a bit of CF laying around from past projects that I should do something with. Just finding the time to get it done and seeing it to completion is a challenge.
Old 12-31-2014 | 07:33 PM
JK Jedi

Excellent thread... you certainly have captured the attention of our members in the best possible way!!
Old 12-31-2014 | 08:17 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by scooby snacks
Excellent thread... you certainly have captured the attention of our members in the best possible way!!
Honestly, it's the reason I signed up, finally. I've been lurking for a while and hadn't had a reason to post anything, until now! lol.
Old 01-01-2015 | 02:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jred71
I would luv this for my JK8!! always wish it had some kind of cab cover . great work!!
I don't think I've ever posted any of my JK-8 concept drawings here, so here are some...

This one's just got the roof installed, plus the roll-up soft sides:

And this one has hard sides, configured to swing up:

The modularity of the Safari Cab design makes it possible to configure the entire side panels to swing up. I did some experimenting with the concept on the LJ Safari Cab a while back - I never did a complete implementation on the LJ, but it's definitely practical.

Old 01-01-2015 | 02:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Here are some JKU concepts similar to the JK8 ideas in the previous post... the first one shows a JKU with half doors and roll-up side curtains that extend from just behind the front doors. First a body-color Safari Cab roof panel:

Or a black roof panel:

And rather than do the full JK8 conversion, what about replacing the rear doors with filler panels? You'd remove the rear seats as well, or at least fold them down, which I didn't do in this photo-edit. Also this one has fiberglass upper half doors with sliders in the front, which is another project I'm thinking of doing:

Old 01-01-2015 | 02:25 AM
JK Super Freak

OK, enough of the JK8 and JK8-like concepts, here's a JKU with full doors and roll-up side panels:

And this one's towing a "TrailDog" camper - it's made of parts I call TrailTop, which was the project I did just prior to starting the JK Safari Cab project - it's a modular set of fiberglass camper/trailer topper building blocks that enable the construction of many different styles of camper. The TrailDog was one of the more popular concepts from that project.

Old 01-01-2015 | 06:13 AM
JK Newbie

I can't stand it. I want one! Are you related to the car designer Tucker?

Quick Reply: Custom modular JK hardtop