Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Custom modular JK hardtop

Old 06-11-2016 | 07:38 AM
JK Super Freak

The next step in the paint process was shooting high-build primer, that's the last step I needed to do before the color goes on. High build goes on very thick, has high solids content and sands beautifully, so it fills any tiny imperfections remaining in the surface and provides a good medium for block-sanding, which ensures no low or high spots on the surface. Maybe all of this is overkill for a Jeep hardtop, but this is how I was taught to do a quality finish so this is what I do.

All the parts shot in high build primer...

If you find this tedious and boring, think of how I feel . Painting isn't my favorite pastime.
Old 06-13-2016 | 12:34 PM
JK Super Freak

A couple of people have told me they're following the paint process, so here's where it stands at the end of today - the block sanding of the high build primer is done, the parts are masked and ready for the color to go on. Here are three of the main pieces on the workbench, the barn door and upper door jambs are out of the frame but also ready for color.

I've got another commitment tomorrow, so I'll shoot the paint on Wednesday. It'll be a 3-step process. First, the inside of the barn door will be shot in white base coat. This is so it matches the white bedliner I shot on the inside of the side and end panels the other day. That's the can on the left below, it's PPG Omni base coat which is their lower-end paint. Doesn't matter much for white so I went with that. I used this same base coat to tint the Raptor bed liner the other day, so the match should be perfect.

After the white is shot and dried on the inside of the barn door, I'll mask that off and paint the outside of the barn door and the rest of the parts in Spice. The Spice base color is the middle can, it's PPG Deltron which is their high-end paint. Unfortunately PPG only has a mix formula for the Jeep factory Spice color in Deltron, it isn't available in Omni. Deltron is about $130 a quart!

And when the Spice is dry, the clear coat goes on, the cans on the right are Eastwood's 2-part urethane matte clear finish, which will topcoat everything.

I'll post photos of the painted parts end of day Wednesday.

Last edited by jscherb; 06-13-2016 at 12:48 PM.
Old 06-14-2016 | 04:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Today I picked up a late model 2-dr hardtop shell. I'll use it for prototyping the slider window retrofit kit, but first I'll probably cut it up to convert it into a modular top with removable side panels. I don't really have room to store it in one piece, and it'll be easier to work on the slider window prototype with just a side panel on the workbench.

Old 06-14-2016 | 04:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Looking forward to this.
Old 06-15-2016 | 05:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Verifying the fit of the hatch this morning, it's just propped in place on some boards to raise it to the correct height. It's slightly large, but for prototype purposes it can be trimmed the slight bit necessary. Also I'll replace the center panel when I install it, as I said last week this one was for an RV generator compartment so it's vented, but I grabbed it because it's pretty much the correct size and will do fine for prototyping.

Old 06-15-2016 | 09:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jscherb
Verifying the fit of the hatch this morning, it's just propped in place on some boards to raise it to the correct height. It's slightly large, but for prototype purposes it can be trimmed the slight bit necessary. Also I'll replace the center panel when I install it, as I said last week this one was for an RV generator compartment so it's vented, but I grabbed it because it's pretty much the correct size and will do fine for prototyping.

nice!
Old 06-15-2016 | 10:32 AM
JK Super Freak

The painting process for all of the Safari Cab parts except for the roof is complete. The Eastwood matte clear gave me exactly the level of matte I was looking for. These photos are about 15 minutes after shooting (about how long it takes me to clean the spray gun) and the matte level is alreay just about perfect. As it cures all the way it'll flatten ever so slightly more.

In the photo above you can see the inside of the barn door, it's painted white to match the white-tinted bedliner on the inside of the side and rear panels. Also on the workbench in white is the cover for the wiper cavity. Below is the other side, it's Spice.

Side panels:

End panel:

Upper jambs:

Up until now I've had temporary acrylic windows in place, the next step is to replace them with safety glass. I talked to the glass place today and they're waiting for me to bring them templates for them to cut to. I'll do that next week.
Old 06-16-2016 | 05:56 AM
JK Super Freak

A few photos of the painted parts. The level of gloss is exactly what I was looking to achieve.

Old 06-16-2016 | 06:00 AM
JK Super Freak

I did these Spice color concepts back when I was deciding what color to paint the hardtop. Now that's it's painted I'll drag them out again to visualize what everything's going to look like when it's installed.

Old 06-16-2016 | 06:03 AM
JK Super Freak

Every time a see a new post on this thread, I'm reminded how sad it is that this is for a JKU. The 2-doors need you, man. They NEED you!!!

Quick Reply: Custom modular JK hardtop