Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Custom modular JK hardtop

Old 05-12-2016 | 08:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by furbishv
How about incorporating the soft roof panel as a headliner for the hard roof?
"Just" leave the soft roof on, lower the hard roof on top of it.
I can only imagine the design change challenges such an idea will entail.
Kill a few birds with one stone, make the whole thing that much more versatile.
Since you wouldn't be taking the hard roof off while out on the road or the trail, having the soft roof underneath the hard roof probably wouldn't add much versatility, would it? The hard roof will have it's own insulated headliner as well, so the soft roof isn't needed for that purpose.
Old 05-13-2016 | 02:34 AM
JK Super Freak

I'm in the process of verifying the precise fit of all the Safari Cab components before I start the finishing/paint work. One detail that I had worked out a while ago but hadn't tested yet is the fit of the weatherstripping for the barn door. The factory weatherstrip has a pocket at the bottom of each side, and the factory hatch has two rubber bulges that go into the pockets when the hatch closes.

If the barn door doesn't have the bulges on it, it won't seal properly to the factory hardtop weatherstrip and will almost certainly leak.

One way I could seal the barn door would be to buy the factory weatherstrip that goes on the bottom of the liftgate and install the bulges from that weatherstrip on the barn door, but I've got a simpler weatherstrip solution.

The Safari Cab rear panel is designed to accept the press-on factory hatch weatherstrip, so what I'm doing is using the later model weatherstrip designed for the wide hatch opening. Since the Safari Cab barn door opening matches the early model narrow hatch opening, the later model weatherstrip is too long, but it works out that's it's just long enough that if you cut the pockets off, you end up with straight weatherstrip around the entire opening.

Here are a few photos of the later model weatherstrip trimmed to fit:

Old 05-16-2016 | 05:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Working on some final prototype JKU hardtop window retrofit kits today in preparation for meetings with the window company and the hardware manufacturer.

Old 05-17-2016 | 03:58 AM
JK Super Freak

I'm off to a meeting today with one of the big Jeep catalog companies. The Jeep is outfitted with a bunch of things to show them, including the cargo area ammo can trays...

I've also got a preproduction StoreGate tailgate storage compartment/trail table installed, plus a few other goodies to show them.

Old 05-17-2016 | 04:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Wonderfully innovative, thank you for sharing these ; serves the "Buy it" crowd, and the DIY people who will craft their own from these examples.
Old 05-17-2016 | 06:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Four Low
Wonderfully innovative, thank you for sharing these ; serves the "Buy it" crowd, and the DIY people who will craft their own from these examples.
Everything in this thread was DIY-built in my home garage, workshop or sewing room. If my work inspire someone else to diy-build the perfect accessory for their Jeep, I'll regard that as a great accomplishment.

Last edited by jscherb; 05-17-2016 at 06:16 AM.
Old 05-17-2016 | 11:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Consider it accomplished; I was "inspired" by your products to build my own Jerry Can Carriers, driver and passenger side. It's a hybrid of your TJ, with the vertical support, and the JK, using existing (windshield) hinge locations for the horizontal loads. 8000 miles, no issues. Removable in 15 minutes (10 to find tools) no holes in body, running board holes plugged w/plastic snap in plugs. I used standard issue Jerry can, Ammo box, Jerry can carrier. I like the rounded carrier.Click image for larger version

Name:	scaled_image-23.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	647385Click image for larger version

Name:	scaled_image-30.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	647386Click image for larger version

Name:	scaled_image-15.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	647387
Old 05-17-2016 | 11:41 AM
JK Super Freak

I'll do a Safari Hardtop, drop down sides for the Summer, when I find a 2 dr hardtop, any condition, no glass or Freedom Panels needed.
The hardtop side window that opens will be next, as you've shown "how to" . Thank you for the "inspiration"
For those that wonder, "why not just buy ", I truly enjoy making my own "stuff" when cost- effective, and just because its FUN.
Old 05-17-2016 | 03:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Four Low
I'll do a Safari Hardtop, drop down sides for the Summer, when I find a 2 dr hardtop, any condition, no glass or Freedom Panels needed.
The hardtop side window that opens will be next, as you've shown "how to" . Thank you for the "inspiration"
For those that wonder, "why not just buy ", I truly enjoy making my own "stuff" when cost- effective, and just because its FUN.
I build things mostly because it's fun as well, but a second important reason is I can end up with things that improve the capabilities/usefulness of my Jeep that you can't find on the market, so buying what I build isn't an option (until some company signs up for it and brings it to market anyway ).

Nice work on the jerry can carrier, and good luck on your hardtop project.
Old 05-18-2016 | 12:23 PM
JK Super Freak

I picked up a new spice bikini top on eBay for $30, I bought it for the fabric, and today I received some tinted window material I ordered from a fabric supplier, enough for 4 barn doors. I've already got plenty of black soft top material and black zippers, and the other day I found some zippers that will go pretty well with spice, so I've got everything I need to sew some final barn door skins in both colors, all I have to do is find the time to sit down at the sewing machine and get them done.

Quick Reply: Custom modular JK hardtop