Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Custom modular JK hardtop

Old 12-30-2014 | 04:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Cutman
I would even buy some of those cardboard cutouts.
OK, here are a few more cardstock concepts...

A more-or-less stock JK":

The stock one compared to an early concept of the Safari Cab I'm actually building (although I've changed the roof slope a bit in the final design from what's shown here):

Old 12-31-2014 | 08:24 AM
JK Newbie

Default Why No Kick Out Window in Production

Originally Posted by jscherb
If you've owned old Toyota FJ40's then maybe you've noticed... for the prototype side panels the kick-out vent windows I've installed came from a 70's FJ40 hardtop...

If the JK Safari Cab ever makes it to production, it wouldn't have FJ40 kick-out windows, but I thought for the prototype they'd be a cool feature .
Why would the kick-out window not be in a production build? Is it a safety issue or something else? I really like the idea of that type of window. Either way, I think your design is awesome and I will buy a 4 door Jeep if this thing comes into production. It's that cool.
Old 12-31-2014 | 08:50 AM
JK Newbie

I would luv this for my JK8!! always wish it had some kind of cab cover . great work!!
Old 12-31-2014 | 09:54 AM
JK Super Freak

I'd love the barn door in the back. Opening my hard top glass with hilift and fuel is a pain. The gate has to be completely open in order to lfit the glass which is not always possible when the terrain doesn't allow.
Old 12-31-2014 | 12:10 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jscherb
Early in the design process I was considering that, and I built a few cardstock concept models of various ways that might look. My current plans aren't to build any of those variants, but since it's a modular hardtop, only the roof mold has to be different to support that so it could be done in a second phase...

This one probably isn't compatible with the freedom panels because the raised section comes forward in a "v":

Oh you tease! Someone has to get something like that into production.

Either that or I just have to pay you to teach me how to mold fiberglass and I'll just make my own!
Old 12-31-2014 | 12:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by RH777
Why would the kick-out window not be in a production build? Is it a safety issue or something else? I really like the idea of that type of window. Either way, I think your design is awesome and I will buy a 4 door Jeep if this thing comes into production. It's that cool.
If some company decides to license the Safari Cab for production, it's up to them as to the style of window they install. My guess would be that they would install RV-style windows, so either sliders, or tilt-up windows, or maybe slider/tilt-up combo windows. But if they wanted to install kick-out vent windows they could certainly do that.

Last edited by jscherb; 01-04-2015 at 03:47 AM.
Old 12-31-2014 | 12:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jred71
I would luv this for my JK8!! always wish it had some kind of cab cover . great work!!
Yes, it would be a great addition to a JK-8. I run my LJ Safari Cab with just the roof and the roll-up side curtains all summer, it's especially nice on the trail in that configuration, and the JK Safari Cab would be great that way on a JK8 too.

Old 12-31-2014 | 12:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Sherifftruman
Oh you tease! Someone has to get something like that into production.

Either that or I just have to pay you to teach me how to mold fiberglass and I'll just make my own!
Molding the fiberglass is the easy part - the hard parts are the styling, the engineering design and the mold design. Do the hard work to get those correct and molding the parts is simple .
Old 12-31-2014 | 12:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Vladimer
I'd love the barn door in the back. Opening my hard top glass with hilift and fuel is a pain. The gate has to be completely open in order to lfit the glass which is not always possible when the terrain doesn't allow.
I've had the barn door on my LJ Safari Cab for about 4 years now, and I could never go back to the inconvenience of a lift glass.

I mount my HiLift and fuel on the barn door, so everything opens with one motion, no hassle.

Old 12-31-2014 | 12:32 PM
JK Newbie

So impressed I had to register to follow, amazing work! I am highly interested in that replacement for the rear swing up glass!

Last edited by Blackwind; 12-31-2014 at 12:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Custom modular JK hardtop