Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Custom modular JK hardtop

Old 11-19-2015 | 02:46 AM
JK Super Freak

What the barn door looks like when it's open. I'm holding it in this photo because I haven't bolted it to the tailgate yet.

Also in the photo above you might have noticed the opening rear vent windows.

The wiper motor is in the bottom of the barn door, so unlike the factory hatch, the motor isn't obstructing the view out the back. Also the stalk-mounted third brake light can go away because there's a brake light on the hardtop, which will further improve rear visibility.

Here's an "over the shoulder" view out the back:

The barn door also works with the factory hardtop; in this photo I threw on my very dusty early model hardtop to check the fit.

Old 11-19-2015 | 12:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Hey ! TJ Brute ! Nice, who did that ?
Old 11-19-2015 | 01:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Four Low
Hey ! TJ Brute ! Nice, who did that ?
You've seen my black LJ Safari, and you've seen Heather's JKU, now you've seen the third Jeep in our fleet. It's not a Brute, I call it the "Retro Wrangler" because I designed it to be a modern version of the classic Willys pickups. I built it about 6 years ago, it was my very first custom vehicle project. The black LJ Safari and Retro Wrangler are my two daily drivers. It's very handy having a pickup, it definitely earns its keep .

Old 11-19-2015 | 02:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Soooo Nice ! Did you use a 416 trailer box for the bed ?
Old 11-19-2015 | 02:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Soooo Nice ! Did you use a 416 trailer box for the bed ?
No, the M416 trailer tubs are too small to make a good looking pickup. This bed is the same size as the original Willys bed - 4' wide inside and about 6 1/2' long. Might be a little hard to tell in this photo, but the M416 tub is only 42" inside at the bottom and 6' long.

BTW that isn't a real M416 in the photo above, it's another one of my fiberglass projects, but it is the correct size for an M416 .
Old 11-20-2015 | 01:19 AM
JK Super Freak

What a great kit the "Retro Wrangler" would make. A 416 , due to its "bolt together" construction, would lend itself to being lengthened and widened that extra 6" in length and widtth.
A thread on this project would be great , six years old or not !
Old 11-20-2015 | 03:11 AM
JK Super Freak

What a great kit the "Retro Wrangler" would make. A 416 , due to its "bolt together" construction, would lend itself to being lengthened and widened that extra 6" in length and widtth.
A thread on this project would be great , six years old or not !
The Retro Wrangler thread: OT: Retro Wrangler/Willys Pickup (long), the first post is 11/30/2007 .

I also built a CJ-based pickup, that one is here: "Gaucho" CJ stepside pickup build - JeepForum.com

And speaking of a kit, a year or so ago I did a proof of concept pickup project, for a tub it used the fiberglass Jeep-tub trailer kit I designed; also uses one of the trailer tub panels to close out the back of the cab: Wrangler/Dinoot pickup proof-of-concept build - a "Dinoot Brute?" - JeepForum.com

Since I did that proof-of-concept, I'm aware of at least 3 pickup projects underway or planned by people using the fiberglass trailer tub as a bed, here's one that's nearing completion:

Ok, even though Jeep pickups are a favorite project of mine, enough about them for now, back to the JK Safari Cab .
Old 11-20-2015 | 03:12 AM
JK Super Freak

I've posted this concept drawing before... one of the ideas I have to make use of the modularity of the Safari Cab is that the roof panel could be swapped for a soft roof:

The tonneau cover from one of my trailers is pretty close to the right size, so I tried it on. It's a little wide and a little short, but gives the general idea of how the soft roof would look.

With the soft roof removed:

Old 11-20-2015 | 08:28 AM
JK Newbie

Cool

Originally Posted by Flea
I can't wait to see this thing finished up and painted with more pictures from a bunch of different angles. Very nice job!
Originally Posted by akpostal
That looks sexy. Would love to see one for a 2 door done up so I could buy it.
Great work I love this and I too want one for a two door. I really hope a company buys this design from you and brings it to production.
Old 11-20-2015 | 08:44 AM
JK Newbie

Default 2 Door Proto Type Volunteer...LOL

Originally Posted by jscherb
I don't have plans to build a 2-door version, mostly because I don't have a 2dr JK here to work with. I've done the design work and drawn concept drawings to show what it would look like if it were built, but no reason for me to actually build one without a Jeep to put it on .

I will bring my 2 door over to your garage for you to work your magic on. I would like the top in black please, with Alpine windows and a roof rack...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0482.JPG
Views:	1095
Size:	966.3 KB
ID:	630649   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0481.JPG
Views:	1157
Size:	940.3 KB
ID:	630650   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0480.JPG
Views:	1151
Size:	776.6 KB