Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Custom modular JK hardtop

Old 11-16-2015 | 02:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by akpostal
Hopefully it comes out as good or better. You do awesome work.
Thank you. I don't see why the 2dr wouldn't be as good - the concept drawing of the 2dr version is fairly accurate, here it is compared to the JKU parts. The 2dr side panels of course are slightly longer, but the shapes and details are pretty close in the drawing...

Old 11-16-2015 | 02:10 AM
JK Super Freak

A few more photos.

Old 11-16-2015 | 02:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jr007
This looks awesome!
Thank you very much!
Old 11-17-2015 | 02:51 AM
JK Super Freak

A view from above.

Old 11-17-2015 | 09:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Very cool! And can't wait to see the 2 door version as well.

Question. The barn door does not look flushed with the safari top. Is there a gap there? And any issues with water leaking?
Old 11-17-2015 | 10:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by sitting duk
Very cool! And can't wait to see the 2 door version as well.

Question. The barn door does not look flushed with the safari top. Is there a gap there? And any issues with water leaking?
The barn door isn't flush right now, when I first posted these photos the other day I wrote that the barn door wasn't bolted to the tailgate yet, it was just resting on the spare carrier for now. When it's bolted up it will seal just fine and there won't be a gap.

I don't have plans to build a 2-door version, mostly because I don't have a 2dr JK here to work with. I've done the design work and drawn concept drawings to show what it would look like if it were built, but no reason for me to actually build one without a Jeep to put it on .
Old 11-17-2015 | 10:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jscherb
The barn door isn't flush right now, when I first posted these photos the other day I wrote that the barn door wasn't bolted to the tailgate yet, it was just resting on the spare carrier for now. When it's bolted up it will seal just fine and there won't be a gap.

I don't have plans to build a 2-door version, mostly because I don't have a 2dr JK here to work with. I've done the design work and drawn concept drawings to show what it would look like if it were built, but no reason for me to actually build one without a Jeep to put it on .
Ah, got it! sorry, i don't read sometimes and go straight to the pics.
Too bad you're so far away!
Old 11-17-2015 | 02:55 PM
JK Super Freak

And speaking of things fitting flush...

I spent a lot of time in the design phase working on the details of the integration with the overall styling of the JK, and the way all the parts would fit with each other, and with the Jeep. For example, check out these 4 photos. Top left is the Jeep Africa concept, I took this photo at Easter Jeep Safari this year because I was working on the details of the roof header design then. The roof integrates beautifully with the top of the windshield. It's a non-removable roof, so they were able to make it fit with a perfect body line, no weatherstrip showing.

The other three photos are aftermarket hardtops, I took these at SEMA a few weeks ago. Not as nice as the Africa.

Even before I had seen the Africa, I planned to do a smooth integration of the hardtop into the windshield (I started the design work on this project about two years ago). Here's how my roof fits, I took this photo today. Fits just like the Africa, except that since it's removable, there is a small bit of the weatherstrip showing, just like it would with the factory top. I haven't trimmed the top or front of the drip rail yet, so ignore that detail for the moment...

Old 11-17-2015 | 05:48 PM
JK Freak

I'll keep waiting patiently to buy your 4dr top
Old 11-18-2015 | 01:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Threw my rack basket on the rack today to see how it fits.

There will be tie-in brackets between the rack and the roll bars so all of the weight in the rack is supported by the roll bars; I haven't made up those brackets yet though.

The drip rails are also designed to support racks that mount that way.

Last edited by jscherb; 11-18-2015 at 01:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Custom modular JK hardtop