Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Custom modular JK hardtop

Old 12-24-2014 | 02:11 PM
JK-Forum Editor

Default This JK Safari Cab Would Be a Huge Hit

This JK Safari Cab Would Be a Huge Hit

This custom modular top for the JK, which is called the “Safari Cab,” is the handiwork of forum member Jeff Scherb and provides more interior room than traditional flat tops for the JK while giving the Jeep a pretty unique look.

Read the rest on the JK-Forum.com homepage. >>
Old 12-24-2014 | 02:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

I thought I was done with my jeep. If this top is put into production I definitely would want one. Great design and work on all your projects.
Old 12-24-2014 | 04:33 PM
JK Freak

I agree this is a hit. Owned a few land rovers and old fjs and love the styling. Bring it to the jeep...I just hope I could afford it!!
Old 12-24-2014 | 04:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JLsJK
I agree this is a hit. Owned a few land rovers and old fjs and love the styling. Bring it to the jeep...I just hope I could afford it!!
If you've owned old Toyota FJ40's then maybe you've noticed... for the prototype side panels the kick-out vent windows I've installed came from a 70's FJ40 hardtop...

If the JK Safari Cab ever makes it to production, it wouldn't have FJ40 kick-out windows, but I thought for the prototype they'd be a cool feature .
Old 12-24-2014 | 04:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 4wdave
I thought I was done with my jeep. If this top is put into production I definitely would want one. Great design and work on all your projects.
Thank you very much, glad you like it!
Old 12-24-2014 | 05:15 PM
JK Newbie

What is the safari top I am seeing in the "General Tire" adds with a hot gal standing on the rock sliders? Is this one of your creations? What do you do for a living, this is impressive stuff!

Thanks,

King Con
Old 12-24-2014 | 05:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by King Con
What is the safari top I am seeing in the "General Tire" adds with a hot gal standing on the rock sliders? Is this one of your creations? What do you do for a living, this is impressive stuff!

Thanks,

King Con
Thank you. I don't do these designs and build the prototypes for a living, for me it's a hobby. But a number of my designs have been licensed by companies and become commercial products, like the LJ/TJ Safari Cab, the fiberglass Jeep-tub trailer kit and the fiberglass military replica trailer kit that I've posted photos of earlier in this thread, among others.

The Jeep in the General Tire ad is an Ursa Minor JK tilt-up camper top, it's not my design. The barn door I've designed as part of this project is compatible with the Ursa Minor (and compatible with the JK factory hardtop), here's a concept drawing showing what an Ursa Minor would look like with my barn door... (the standard Ursa Minor uses the factory lift glass, not a barn door like mine)

If you look a few posts back I also posted a concept view of a tilt-up camper based on the Safari Cab parts.
Old 12-24-2014 | 06:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

This would be a great product for JK owners and I believe that a lot of us would buy it. Thanks to the OP for his talents and sharing them with us. I just wish someone would build a set of sliders for the back side windows on the 2 doors, so the back seat passengers could open up and enjoy the great outdoors.
Old 12-25-2014 | 03:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Kevin123
This would be a great product for JK owners and I believe that a lot of us would buy it. Thanks to the OP for his talents and sharing them with us. I just wish someone would build a set of sliders for the back side windows on the 2 doors, so the back seat passengers could open up and enjoy the great outdoors.
The complication with putting a slider window in a factory hardtop is that the window mounting surface is curved in both directions. Standard RV-style slider windows require a flat mounting surface; if you install a standard RV window on a curved surface if it works at all it will bind and be very hard to slide.

I made the window mounting surfaces in the Safari Cab side panels flat so any style window could be installed, I'm thinking two good options would be a slider or a swing-up, or possibly a swing-up/slider combo.

Besides making the Safari Cab window mounting surfaces flat, I've also made them the same size as the factory hardtop, so that any windows that do get produced for the Safari Cab can also be installed in a factory hardtop, although an adapter kit would be required to deal with the curved surface on the factory hardtop. I've worked out a design for an adapter kit, but probably won't do a prototype until after I finish the base Safari Cab. My idea is that if a company signs up to bring the Safari Cab to market they can also offer a slider or swing-up retrofit for the factory hardtop because they'll already be producing windows for the Safari Cab that will fit the factory hardtop.
Old 12-26-2014 | 02:10 PM
JK Freak

I did notice the toyota windows. Those vehicles are what made me want a jeep. Got sick of working on OLD fjs. This top would be awesome! If I couldn't afford the top, I would love the barn door feature. You do a great job.

Quick Reply: Custom modular JK hardtop