Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Custom modular JK hardtop

Old 07-30-2015 | 11:10 AM
JK Super Freak

The fiberglass layup process is complete, so I'll let it cure overnight and tomorrow I can pop the finished roof panel out of the mold.

Old 07-31-2015 | 05:01 AM
JK Super Freak

This morning I popped the roof panel out of the mold. Here I am getting the first peek at what it looks like:

Trimming the edges; cutting fiberglass is always best done with abrasives, I'm using a cutoff wheel in my angle grinder. The roof is slightly green because the mold release hasn't been washed off yet.

Washing off the mold release:

Old 07-31-2015 | 12:00 PM
JK Super Freak

A JKU Safari Cab "kit" :

This is all the fiberglass parts necessary to assemble a JKU Safari Cab, except the windshield header. I've designed the header, but since the dimensions are fairly critical I decided I'd make that after I've installed the top on the Jeep so I can take precise measurements.

Tomorrow I'll do a mock-up assembly so we can see approximately what the finished Safari Cab will look like.
Old 07-31-2015 | 12:02 PM
JK Super Freak

The "kit" with some options - Alpine windows and a roof rack.

Old 08-01-2015 | 04:16 AM
JK Super Freak

Gorgeous. Hey, where's the Dust Mask when cutting that fiberglass ?
Old 08-01-2015 | 06:54 AM
JK Super Freak

This morning I did a mockup assembly of the Safari Cab parts. The roof panel needs final trimming, so it's sitting about 1" higher above the drip rail than it will be when the parts are finalized, and I haven't put the upper door jams/front drip rails in this mockup, but I think this gives a pretty good idea of what the final Safari Cab will look like.

With Alpine windows:

and a roof rack... the rails are bowed up a bit because the rack came from the curved roof of a ZJ Cherokee, but they'll be flat when bolted down:

A rear view:

Last edited by jscherb; 08-01-2015 at 07:33 AM.
Old 08-01-2015 | 06:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Some months ago I posted a photo/drawing concept showing what the 2dr version of the JK Safari Cab would look like. The first prototype is a JKU version, but here's a comparison of the original concept and the actual parts. Making allowances for the differences in proportion between the 2dr and 4dr JKs, I think the actual parts ended up being pretty true to the concept...

Old 08-01-2015 | 04:44 PM
JK Super Freak

A comparison photo - the Safari Cab and the factory top...

Old 08-02-2015 | 04:29 AM
JK Super Freak

The fact that this top is modular, can be shipped broken down, should be a huge plus for cost savings to the customer. Also for storage, ease of handling. For me, the Freedom Panels would be sorely missed , but that's only a minor Carp.
Old 08-02-2015 | 07:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Four Low
The fact that this top is modular, can be shipped broken down, should be a huge plus for cost savings to the customer. Also for storage, ease of handling. For me, the Freedom Panels would be sorely missed , but that's only a minor Carp.
Removing the roof in pieces means it can be a one-man job. And except for the roof, all of the parts can be stored easily - under beds for example. The roof doesn't take up too much room either, it can stand up against a garage wall although in the over four years I've had the Safari Cab on my LJ the roof has never come off - I like having the roof as shelter from the sun, and the half doors and roll-up side panels give me plenty of open air experience.

Sorry, Freedom Panels are not in my plans.

Quick Reply: Custom modular JK hardtop