Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Custom modular JK hardtop

Old 06-26-2015 | 04:01 PM
JK Super Freak

I met with the window company on Thursday to review the progress of the JK half door sliders. There are just a few details to finalize, but the windows are looking and fitting great. Here's one of the front sliders in a factory upper:

Old 06-27-2015 | 07:37 PM
JK Newbie

Looks great!! Excellent work so far! May have to get order half doors for my next JK I buy.
Old 06-28-2015 | 03:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Since the JK Safari Cab is modular, one of the features I'm planning for it is the ability to swap out the hard side panels for roll-up soft sides. They were a part of the original design for my LJ Safari Cab, and I love running them in the summer, especially with half doors - I get an open air feeling but have the protection from the sun that the hard roof provides, as well as the ability to use the roof rack for cargo. A couple of trail shots:

The original version of the LJ soft sides has three roll-up panels - two sides and the back. The back panel replaces the fiberglass barn door and adds to the openness. Here are a couple of JK 2dr concept drawings of the three-piece style roll-up sides:

For the JK I've also drawn concepts that show a two-piece roll-up side set, which retains the rear panel and the fiberglass barn door. I figured this version would provide much of the open air feeling, but make it much easier for access to the inside through the back. With the three-piece set, for full access to the back you need to roll up the back panel. Here's the two-piece concept:

I decided that I wanted to test the idea of the two-piece roll-up set on my LJ this summer, so I took a little break from working on the JK Safari roof mold master to sew a two-piece set for the LJ. Here's what it looks like:

I just finished the sewing yesterday so I haven't had much time to run with it yet, but already I like keeping the barn for for easy access to the cargo area. It's slightly less open air than the three-piece version, but it's still a really nice driving experience.

I haven't decided which style soft sides I'll implement for the JK Safari Cab. I like both styles - I like the greater openness of the three-piece style but I also like the easy cargo access of the 2-piece style. Any opinions on which style you'd prefer to run with? Or would you rather just run the hard sides year round?
Old 06-28-2015 | 04:20 AM
JK Super Freak

I really Really like the Three Piece RollUp design ; I use my hardtop year round for the same reasons, so the 3pc setup is perfect blend of open air and cargo/security .
Old 06-28-2015 | 06:27 PM
JK Newbie

Signed up just to reply and keep myself up to date on these. Been looking/wishing for the hard windows for half doors since day one of my JKU ownership. Excellent work on all parts featured in this thread.
Old 06-29-2015 | 08:30 AM
JK Super Freak

I'm not sure if this idea is a smart one or a dumb one, but another idea I had for the fiberglass half door uppers I've been working on is to turn the bottom section into a storage compartment. Here's a mockup with a compartment cover I molded yesterday. The hole for the compartment hasn't been cut out of the main body of the upper yet, so I drew a compartment on the photo to show what it might look like. The cover would also have a latch, which could be a locking one. Before I decide to cut it I wanted to see what people think of the idea.

Another way to this new fiberglass piece could be used is to cover it with foam and vinyl and install it on the upper as a padded armrest.

Last edited by jscherb; 06-29-2015 at 08:33 AM.
Old 06-29-2015 | 09:39 AM
JK Super Freak

A compartment could be put in the front uppers too, the same compartment cover fits. It's shown here on a factory upper because I haven't molded the fiberglass front uppers yet.

Old 06-29-2015 | 12:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Can't have too much storage in a JK ! Clever use of every space, please go through the entire interior , designing and implementing storage nooks ..
Old 06-29-2015 | 01:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Four Low
Can't have too much storage in a JK ! Clever use of every space, please go through the entire interior , designing and implementing storage nooks ..
If storage is what you're after, you might be interested in something I designed and call "Molle Bars". They're Molle-compatible sleeves that wrap around the roll bars, and enable you to hang Molle pouches and other accessories. I've got a bunch in my LJ, they're really handy:

And here are a few photos of Molle Bars in a JK:

A company picked up the Molle Bar design a few months ago and they've got a range of different sizes on the market now.
Old 06-29-2015 | 02:27 PM
JK Super Freak

How do I find them ? Perhaps that Vendor would see the financial Wisdom of being a Sponsoring Vendor on this website.

Quick Reply: Custom modular JK hardtop