Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Custom modular JK hardtop

Old 12-14-2014 | 05:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by RenegadeUL13
Could you integrate mounting points into the roof for say a shovel or hi-lift?
I do plan integrated mounting points for a roof rack, but hadn't thought about integrated mounting point for a shovel or Hi-Lift. Where would you want them that didn't interfere with a roof rack being mounted?

Another project I'm working on are mounts for a Hi-Lift, shovel and other accessories, here's a prototype.

A closer view. There's a mounting grid that mounts to heavy-duty tailgate hinges; it's designed to accept a range of different mounting brackets for accessories.

As part of that project I've designed heavy-duty replacement tailgate hinges. This photo shows one of the HD hinges next to a factory hinge. You can see it's much beefier, but what doesn't show in the photo is that the hinge pin runs in greaseable bronze bushings (there's a zerk fitting), and the hinges are also rebuildable in the unlikely event they ever wear (the factory hinges wear and sag over time, these aren't likely to). A company has already committed to bringing the hinges to market, they were also introduced at SEMA last month, so you should be able to buy them soon.

The hinges also accept the accessory mounting brackets without the grid, although with the grid you can mount more things.

Here's a drawing showing a Hi-Lift and multiple Rotopax containers mounted on the grid:

The company that's signed up to bring the hinges to market may also sign to bring the accessory mounting system to market.
Old 12-14-2014 | 05:33 AM
JK Junkie

Very nice work I would love to have a hardtop like that.
Old 12-14-2014 | 06:47 AM
JK Freak

Hmm, I guess it would have to fit above the side windows and below the small top corner windows. If it was structurally sound enough to do so. Just thinking out loud. I suppose an integrated rack would probably be more beneficial in the long run. Great work.
Old 12-17-2014 | 05:51 AM
JK Super Freak

I've been working on a mold for the JK Safari Cab roof, and yesterday I molded a roof panel. Here it is just out of the mold - I haven't trimmed it or washed the mold release off yet.

If something doesn't look quite right to you about the roof panel in the photo above, you're right... it's a 1/10 scale model .

For most of my large design projects I build scale models to help visualize the design in 3d and to help me work through design and construction details. For example, when I was in the design phase of my fiberglass military trailer kit project, I made a 1/4 scale model so I could test exactly the details of bolting the tub parts together into the complete tub.

Here are a few photos of that model project:

Compared to the final full-size version:

I worked in 1/4 scale for the military trailer project model because I needed to actually bolt the parts together just like the full scale would bolt together.

For the JK Safari Cab roof, I'm working in 1/10 scale because there's a 1/10 scale JKU model on the market - it's made by Axial, and has a vacuum-formed body that looks like it's very accurately scaled. Since I've designed the Safari Cab side panels to be compatible with the factory hardtop size and shape, the roof panel I molded will fit correctly on an Axial hardtop.

Some photos of the Axial hardtop and an Axial JKU:

I'll get the new roof trimmed and fit to the Axial hardtop shortly, then we can see what the full scale JKU Safari Cab will look like.
Old 12-17-2014 | 07:26 AM
JK Super Freak

A few shots of the 1/10 scale model roof. I haven't finished the trimming yet, so it's not fitting perfectly in these photos. There are a few flaws in this roof due to a resin issue, so rather than spend any more time trimming and fitting it, I'll mold another roof today and I'll spend the time fitting that one.

Mockups of the Alpine windows have been glued on to one side...

Old 12-18-2014 | 08:35 PM
JK Newbie

This is the most original Jeep product I have seen in awhile. There would be such a huge market with this available for the JK. I agree that an optional integrated roof rack is the way to go; the rack itself could just have horizontal mounting points for hi-lift, shovel, etc..
Old 12-19-2014 | 01:45 AM
JK Super Freak

I made a second model roof and did some quick trimming and tried some windows and sunroofs on. Next I'll paint the roof and the hardtop dark gray and put some window trim in so they model looks a bit more realistic.

Old 12-19-2014 | 01:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by idRatherBeOutside
This is the most original Jeep product I have seen in awhile. There would be such a huge market with this available for the JK. I agree that an optional integrated roof rack is the way to go; the rack itself could just have horizontal mounting points for hi-lift, shovel, etc..
Thank you.

I figure there's a lot of different ideas people might have about roof racks and what to store up there, so while I'm planning on using an XJ rack on the first prototype Safari Cab I'm building, the way I've designed the rack mounting points they'll be compatible with many different racks, for example aftermarket racks like some of the ones from Perrycraft: Perrycraft - Racks, Rails, & Load Bars. Companies like that also offer lots of accessories for their racks and other OEM racks, so I wasn't thinking I should design anything specific for the rack like hi-lift mounting points, since there's so much aftermarket support for stuff like that already. Some examples: Perrycraft - Sports Equipment Carriers
Old 12-19-2014 | 05:05 PM
JK Newbie

This top is fantastic. I would definitely buy one, when it gets to market.
Old 12-20-2014 | 04:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by dmwil
If someone puts that JKU Safari Cab into production, it is paintable, and the price is reasonable, I'm in, for sure. Tagged!

Keep pics coming! Your creativity and work is amazing!
Originally Posted by Jsek29
This top is fantastic. I would definitely buy one, when it gets to market.
Thank you, glad you like it .

I have no idea if it will ever get to market... I'm just building one prototype for myself right now, and perhaps I'll build a second one for someone, but after that if any more get made some company/person is going to have to sign up to bring it to market - I have no plans to market it myself, but I'd be willing to license it to someone for production like I've done with some of my other designs that are now on the market.

As for paintability, I plan to paint my first prototype, and since the factory hardtops now are available color matched, I would expect that a company that might bring it to market would offer it in either a "hardtop black" color or at least primed/paintable it not offering a full color match. My LJ/TJ Safari Cab design has been on the market for a while now, and the company that does that one in color match - here are a few production ones in color... silver, red, whilte...

Last edited by jscherb; 12-20-2014 at 04:04 AM.

Quick Reply: Custom modular JK hardtop