Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Custom modular JK hardtop

Old 06-19-2015 | 04:26 PM
JK Super Freak

I would love a small SunRoof for thr the 2dr hardtop, rear section. It would give ventilation for the dogs, add light.
I've installed those 14"square RV Crank-Up roof vents in truck caps, van roofs in the "old days" . The raised lip gave good water splash protection, great air flow, but it would be too clunky looking for this Centuries vehicles.
Your Sunroofs are fixed, light only, or will they open too ?
Old 06-19-2015 | 05:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Four Low
I would love a small SunRoof for thr the 2dr hardtop, rear section. It would give ventilation for the dogs, add light.
I've installed those 14"square RV Crank-Up roof vents in truck caps, van roofs in the "old days" . The raised lip gave good water splash protection, great air flow, but it would be too clunky looking for this Centuries vehicles.
Your Sunroofs are fixed, light only, or will they open too ?
I'm thinking the best type might be a multifunction sunroof that both opens to vent air in, and the glass would be removable for full open air driving. These, for example, are combo pop-up and removable, and are very affordable: Pop-Up Sunroof Kits From The Sunroof Doctor.

The way I'm laying out the roof structure, there are three locations a sunroof could be installed - over the front row of seats, over the second row of seats, and over the cargo area (for the dogs?). I'm not sure anyone would want 3 installed (I don't want any), but I'm making sure it will be possible to install sunroofs in all three locations.
Old 06-19-2015 | 05:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Those uppers are a dream come true. Your my hero!
Old 06-20-2015 | 03:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by SaFFFari
Those uppers are a dream come true. Your my hero!
We'll have to see if they ever become more than a dream, here's an update on that project...

So far the prototype sliders I've been working with haven't had any glass installed but that's about to change. I spoke with the people at the RV window company the other day and they told me the glass has now been made and they're in the process of assembling 2 complete sets of slider windows for testing (1 set = 2 front and 2 rear windows). I'm scheduled to meet with them this coming Thursday to review the completed windows and assuming all is good with the design and detail I'll sign off on them being ready for production.

There is a Jeep accessories company that's been interested bringing the sliders to market, so assuming they're still interested once I sign off on the windows they could begin their work to make the soft retrofit kit available.

The soft retrofit kit would be a DIY kit to enable someone to install slider windows in factory, Bestop or Rugged Ridge soft uppers. The kit would contain two (or 4) slider windows plus the necessary materials for installation.

I don't know if there would be enough market demand to make it worthwhile for the fiberglass uppers to go into production.
Old 06-20-2015 | 04:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Holy Geez Batman! That's amazing craftsmanship jscherb
Old 06-20-2015 | 10:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by budtest
Holy Geez Batman! That's amazing craftsmanship jscherb
Thank you very much .
Old 06-20-2015 | 11:51 AM
JK Super Freak

I looked at the Pop Up Sunroof link, the smallest listed is 18"x 28" ; that is a big opening , structurally speaking, for a 2 dr hard top . Since its more venting, rather than light ,that I'm looking for, maybe something in the marine industry would work. Low profile, compact shape. Those " clunky" RV crank-ups are starting to look better !
Old 06-20-2015 | 12:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Four Low
I looked at the Pop Up Sunroof link, the smallest listed is 18"x 28" ; that is a big opening , structurally speaking, for a 2 dr hard top . Since its more venting, rather than light ,that I'm looking for, maybe something in the marine industry would work. Low profile, compact shape. Those " clunky" RV crank-ups are starting to look better !
Don't worry about the structure, I'm designing the structure of the hardtop to handle larger sunroofs, so the size isn't a problem. Smaller ones like you want wouldn't be a problem either though.
Old 06-21-2015 | 02:45 PM
JK Newbie

Beautiful design work on these . This is how I found the forum in the first place.

Please, please ensure these make it to production..... I would buy one in a heartbeat.
Old 06-21-2015 | 05:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ScorpionJK
Beautiful design work on these . This is how I found the forum in the first place.

Please, please ensure these make it to production..... I would buy one in a heartbeat.
Thank you very much.

I don't know at this point if the JK Safari Cab will make it to production - since I'm not in business and I don't sell anything, if it's going to get to production some company/person is going to have to sign up to bring it to market.

Quick Reply: Custom modular JK hardtop