Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Custom modular JK hardtop

Old 04-15-2015 | 11:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jscherb
Thanks. I was really pleased with the enthusiasm of the RV window company for this project. They really seem to want to do something very cool here, maybe because this is something different from the ordinary RV windows they do every day. They're really taking a lot of care to make the fit and details perfect.

Next they'll be making up a complete prototype set of all four windows, which they'll ship to me as soon as they're done - hopefully within 2-3 weeks. I'll check the engineering details, and if all is ok, then the company I'm doing this for will place a small initial production order. The initial production windows will go to "early adopters" who will provide test feedback.

Definitely consider me as an early adopter. I have kids that'll test them very well too
Old 04-15-2015 | 12:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by robertgreen79
Definitely consider me as an early adopter. I have kids that'll test them very well too
When the company that's going to market the JK half door slider windows is ready to find early adopters I'll let people know via a post in this thread.
Old 04-15-2015 | 07:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

The profile of the parts without the drip rails/roof installed matches the profile of the factory roof. I did that so that the roof panel would be compatible with the factory hardtop - that way the roof could be installed on a factory top as a tilt-up camper, for example, or one of the other factory hardtop mods I've shown over the course of this thread.

Would this design possibly work with a flip style camper like the HABITAT but for a JK 2 door?
Old 04-16-2015 | 03:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by akpostal
Would this design possibly work with a flip style camper like the HABITAT but for a JK 2 door?
I've designed all of the JK Safari Cab components with the idea that they could be used to build a flip-top camper, so it should be possible to build something like the Habitat for a 2 door starting with Safari Cab parts.
Old 04-16-2015 | 03:28 AM
JK Super Freak

I drew the roof panel on one of yesterday's photos...

With an Alpine window:

Old 04-16-2015 | 02:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Photos of a quick size check of the Safari Cab Alpine windows - they're just setting on top of the factory hardtop in these photos.

Old 04-16-2015 | 04:14 PM
JK Jedi

Photos of a quick size check of the Safari Cab Alpine windows - they're just setting on top of the factory hardtop in these photos.
Moving right along! Looking good! Can't wait for the finished product!
Old 04-20-2015 | 04:32 AM
JK Super Freak

The other day as I was working with the new fiberglass upper door jamb pieces I molded I started thinking of another use for them, this time with the factory hardtop. They could be installed as upper jambs to replace the freedom panels of a factory top. They'd provide sealing surfaces for the top of the doors, and also provide a place to secure a canvas roll-up freedom panel replacement. It sure would be a lot more convenient on the road than trying to store the factory freedom panels somewhere when you wanted to open up the roof a bit.

I haven't done enough design work on this idea yet to know if it would be best for the canvas to roll up as pictured, or just to be completely removable. Or to decide whether the fiberglass windshield header I'll be making for the hardtop would be used in this configuration, or perhaps one of the aftermarket bikini headers would work in this application.

I don't know it I'll build a prototype of this idea or not, I'm just always thinking about new ways the fiberglass parts I'm molding could be used.
Old 04-20-2015 | 10:26 AM
JK Newbie

Really love the idea of a soft freedom panel. Looking at your last hard top picture, any possibility of doing a longer soft panel on the unlimited top? I like Rugged Ridge's new exotop with that allows the soft top to be slid open on tracks. If all or at least 3/4 of the unlimited hardtop was fabric, it could be slid open on two channels and wouldn't require the external bars that the exotop has.
Old 04-20-2015 | 03:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by TDDO
Really love the idea of a soft freedom panel. Looking at your last hard top picture, any possibility of doing a longer soft panel on the unlimited top? I like Rugged Ridge's new exotop with that allows the soft top to be slid open on tracks. If all or at least 3/4 of the unlimited hardtop was fabric, it could be slid open on two channels and wouldn't require the external bars that the exotop has.
Back when I first popped the side and end panels out of the molds and assembled a mockup for the first time, I threw the tonneau cover from one of my trailers on the mockup. The tonneau isn't the right size for the top, but I was curious to see how the tonneau rails would conform to the curves across the top. The rails conformed pretty easily, so it wouldn't be hard to configure a JKU Safari Cab with a full soft panel like this based on a pickup truck tonneau; there are a bunch on the market that are designed to slide to provide a partially open truck bed when needed, it might be cool to use one of those so the top could be open just the amount you wanted.

Or, there's at least one super-large sunroof/sliding canvas product on the market, I don't now what sizes those come in, but one of these might be used on the Safari Cab as well..

The configuration of the modular Safari Cab parts can make lots of interesting configurations possible.

Quick Reply: Custom modular JK hardtop