Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Custom modular JK hardtop

Old 03-05-2015 | 01:54 PM
JK Super Freak

What companies carry your stuff ? I'll bookmark them for future reference . Thanks.
Old 03-05-2015 | 03:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Four Low
What companies carry your stuff ? I'll bookmark them for future reference . Thanks.
This is a current list of things I've designed that are on the market (or very soon to be) and who's selling them, if anyone would like info about any of these just let me know.

- Fiberglass Jeep-tub trailer kit
- Fiberglass military replica trailer kit
Available at: Jeep Trailers,Tent Trailers, 4x4 Trailers by Dinoot Jeep Trailers

- Safari Cab hardtop for LJ and TJ
- Exogate spare tire carrier/tailgate reinforcement for LJ and TJ
- Secure trunk box for the LJ/JK/CJ-8
Available at: GR8TOPS | Jeep half hardtops expert

- Heavy-duty JK tailgate hinges
- JK tailgate hinge-mounted Hi-Lift carrier
- JK tailgate hinge-mounted CB antenna mount
- Spare mount jerry can carrier for all Jeeps
- Side-mount jerry can carrier for the LJ and TJ
- Spare mounted Excursion Cargo Rack for all Jeeps
Available at: Most of these have gone through manufacturing, and one of the Jeep catalogs has signed up for them, so they should be for sale in the catalog soon (about half of these items have already been shipped to the catalog company's warehouse). It's likely that other outlets will carry these items as well. Most of these will also be for sale by the manufacturer at the Easter Jeep Safari vendor Expo. I've also got several other designs in process with the company doing these, but they're not things I've posted or can talk about yet.

- "Molle Bars" roll-bar Molle sleeves
Available at: Availability soon. I'll let people know where as soon as they go on sale.

Of the designs in this thread, the most likely to get to production first would be the JK half-door upper slider windows, although that's not certain yet. Hopefully a decision will be made on that within the next week or so.
Old 03-06-2015 | 07:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Noted and Bookmarked. Will be watching for Catalogs ! Visions of Sugar Plums . .
Old 03-06-2015 | 09:42 AM
JK Super Freak

glass half door uppers?!??!?!?!?! Subscribed ... I hope you have more luck than SFZ as we all see how that project has come to a halt. I was really rooting for them, but ah-well.
Old 03-06-2015 | 02:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by SaFFFari
glass half door uppers?!??!?!?!?! Subscribed ... I hope you have more luck than SFZ as we all see how that project has come to a halt. I was really rooting for them, but ah-well.
My plans are much less challenging to implement than ones shown in the preliminary CAD drawings that Strike Force Zebra posted several years ago. There's no doubt that the design I'm working on can be successfully executed. I'm just waiting for a price quote on the slider window from a second RV window company, once I've got that a go-ahead decision can be made.
Old 03-07-2015 | 10:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jscherb

My plans are much less challenging to implement than ones shown in the preliminary CAD drawings that Strike Force Zebra posted several years ago. There's no doubt that the design I'm working on can be successfully executed. I'm just waiting for a price quote on the slider window from a second RV window company, once I've got that a go-ahead decision can be made.
Sweet. I've even considered modifying my bestop half doors by cutting out the plastic windows and using fiberglass resin to harden up the remainder. That way it would be solid enough to use some sort of universal RV window. Looking fwd to your design.
Old 03-07-2015 | 10:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by SaFFFari
Sweet. I've even considered modifying my bestop half doors by cutting out the plastic windows and using fiberglass resin to harden up the remainder. That way it would be solid enough to use some sort of universal RV window. Looking fwd to your design.
Are the Bestop windows that flexible? I've got a set of TJ soft uppers with sliders, they're plenty rigid enough, the fabric supports the slider frame just fine.

There really isn't a "universal" RV window that will fit in Jeep uppers, but the slider I'm planning could probably be retrofit into Bestop soft uppers, assuming they're as strong as the TJ ones I've got. Maybe when I get to that point you can measure your Bestop uppers so we can see if the sliders can be installed in them.

Last edited by jscherb; 03-07-2015 at 11:12 AM.
Old 03-10-2015 | 04:11 AM
JK Super Freak

A few more concept drawings...an Overland configuration of the JK Safari Cab - this one has side cargo hatches, and it's using the integrated roof rack support for a cargo basket and off-road lights.

With a roof top tent/awning.

The unedited original photo for comparison:

Last edited by jscherb; 03-10-2015 at 04:15 AM.
Old 03-10-2015 | 08:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Someone asked me if it would be possible to make a panel van version of the Safari Cab. It would be fairly easy to do with the Safari Cab parts - I'd mold new longer side panels that extended to fill the rear door window area, and I'd make filler panels for lower half of the rear door openings - they'd be fairly easy to make in fiberglass.

Here's another version, this one's got two cargo compartments in the side:

Or, the entire side panel could be made to swing up (this is drawn on a JK8, so there's no rear door fillers/door gap):

BTW here's what a panel van version of my LJ Safari Cab looks like. This isn't a concept drawing, it's an actual photo of a panel version:

Old 03-11-2015 | 11:58 AM
JK Super Freak

For the first prototype Safari Cab, I'll be installing a ZJ Cherokee roof rack. The Safari Cab is designed with tie-ins to the sport bars for the roof rack, so weight on the roof rack is borne by the sport bars, not by the fiberglass hardtop. I needed to check the dimensions for the tie-ins, so I picked up a ZJ rack at the U-Pull junkyard yesterday. Here's the rack setting on the JKU for a quick fit test:

The ZJ rack is just about the right width to clear the Alpine windows, which wrap over onto the roof. These next photos of the roof model show the Alpine windows. The rack will also span any sunroofs that might be installed. The ZJ rack channels are very easily cut to length; I won't decide until I fit the rack on the final Safari Cab roof if I'll leave it stock length or shorten it.

The ZJ rack isn't the only one that could be installed on the Safari Cab and I'm sure some people would want other racks, but I chose it for the prototype hardtop several reasons - it's a factory Jeep rack, so nobody's going to say "Hey isn't that an Explorer rack on your Jeep?". It's a good size for the Safari Cab as I've already described; it's got lots of aftermarket support, so pretty much anything you'd want to mount up there you can get a ready-to-use mounting accessory for it, and finally it's very plentiful and inexpensive since so many ZJ's are at the end of their lives.

With the proper mounting accessories, the ZJ rack is plenty strong enough for anything you'd want to carry up there. I mount my roof top tent on the LJ Safari Cab with no problems (it's got the XJ version of the rack):

On most off-road trips, I carry a rack basket up there with an extra spare, the Hi-Lift, and often extra luggage:

Quick Reply: Custom modular JK hardtop