Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Custom modular JK hardtop

Old 07-12-2018 | 01:44 PM
JK Super Freak

I've been working on a new design for a locking jerry can strap.

It works with Scepter, NATO and US Jerry cans, and with all 3 can lock the cap or not as desired.

All of the parts are either aluminum or stainless, and the wire rope is both coated in vinyl and galvanized, so it will be very resistant to the elements.

It also works with multiple height trays, I tested it with all three of these...

Next comes some serious testing in use on the road and the trail.
Old 07-13-2018 | 05:35 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by jscherb
Here's what the grille I just molded looks like with turn signals installed. The grille is next to the one with 2.5" LEDs; the LEDs are brighter (check the reflection on the floor in the first photo) and what I didn't expect is that they're also brighter from a side angle.

Might paint one of these and install it on my Jeep, but no hurry to do that since the first grille is still looking good too. And I haven't yet decided which variant I like best.
Since you have far too many of these sitting around now cluttering up your space, I will selflessly offer to do my part and relieve some of the burden by taking one off your hands!
Old 07-13-2018 | 05:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by icrashbikes
Since you have far too many of these sitting around now cluttering up your space, I will selflessly offer to do my part and relieve some of the burden by taking one off your hands!
Two weeks ago someone offered me $1000 for one. I turned him down. Told him that someone was trying to get them into production and that he should wait for that to happen.

Old 07-15-2018 | 05:45 AM
JK Super Freak

I molded the second and third grilles some weeks ago but have been too busy to test-fit them on the Jeep until this morning. Here are a bunch of comparison photos. The new grilles haven't been painted yet and need a final fine trimming for fit, but these photos do show what the various options look like.

First, the factory grille (with aftermarket slot inserts):

The first grille out of the mold, painted and with mesh in the slots:

The second grille; 2 1/2" LED turn signals recessed flush with the face of the grille:

The third grille, factory turn signals recessed:

I think I'll paint one of the new ones for use on my Jeep, as soon as I decide which one I like best.
Old 07-15-2018 | 06:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jscherb
The second grille; 2 1/2" LED turn signals recessed flush with the face of the grille:

It's a subtle difference but this one nails it for me.
Old 07-15-2018 | 07:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by akpostal
It's a subtle difference but this one nails it for me.
I'm also leaning towards the version with the smaller LEDs.
Old 07-15-2018 | 08:49 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

#2 as well, it's sharp and I think once it's painted you'll really see it shine.
Old 07-16-2018 | 06:15 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Agreed with everyone. The turn signal size is right and I like them placed inboard of the headlights.
Old 07-16-2018 | 07:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Over the past few days I've been working on molds to make the outer shells for fiberglass JK half door uppers with slider windows. These are the molds prepped and ready to make parts:

Yesterday I molded two front shells and one rear shell for fiberglass JK half door uppers. The rear shell can be used on either side I only made one mold which means I can only mold one of those at a time. Yesterday I molded two front shells and one rear shell for fiberglass JK half door uppers. They've only been preliminarily trimmed to remove the sharp edges of the fiberglass, they'll be trimmed to exact size during assembly.

I'm doing these as a "hard shell retrofit kit", which means that these fiberglass outer shells replace the fabric shell/vinyl window on the factory uppers. The modified upper retains what's good about the factory uppers - great fit and excellent weather resistance, while providing a paintable hard shell exterior with a slider window.

Last week I assembled one rear upper:

This photo shows it posed next to a spare hardtop in my backyard, since I don't currently have half doors this is the best I can do to photograph it with a top .

By the end of the week I should have the remaining complete uppers assembled and ready for testing on a Jeep with half doors.
Old 07-18-2018 | 02:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Today I finished basic assembly of a complete set of JK/JKU hard upper half doors, in this photo they're freshly painted "hardtop black". I'll do final assembly (installation of slider windows and reinstallation of the factory weatherstrip) tomorrow morning and then I'll call them done.

Quick Reply: Custom modular JK hardtop