Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Custom modular JK hardtop

Old 06-14-2018 | 04:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by karls10jk
The LED's you just sampled look like winners. It's nice that they're considerably brighter than the factory lights. The stock turn signal really disappoints when it comes to letting other people know that you're turning. Is that a drop in bulb?

https://youtu.be/Wl7YeOdN-so
The bulbs are from Auxbeam: https://www.auxbeam.com/70025871 and they're available on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Auxbeam-Front-Signal-Switchback-Reverse/dp/B07415V2H7/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1528194861&sr=8-17

They're equivalent to the factory 3157 incandescent bulbs, but they do require a load resistor to avoid fast flash. I made up a pair of plug-and-play LED adapters which have both male and female connectors compatible with the JK's factory turn signal plug, so all that had to happen was to unplug the factory turn signals, plug the adapters into the turn signals, and connect the factory wiring plugs to the other connector on these adapters. The load resistor fixes the LED fast flash problem and has long enough leads so it can be mounted behind the grille or anywhere else nearby that's convenient. This adapter will work with both LED bulbs in the factory turn signal housing, and aftermarket LED turn signals that don't have a provision for fixing fast flash.

The adapters:

You don't need adapters like these to solve the fast flash problem, this photo shows all that's necessary. Pull the turn signal plug and put suitcase connectors on the black wire and the white+gray wire. Insert wires to a load resistor into the other side of the suitcase connector and squeeze the connectors closed. Repeat on the other side. If you buy load resistors on eBay they'll probably come with suitcase connectors, but the resistor wires may not be long enough to make it possible to mount the resistor somewhere, if so you can lengthen the wires. If you're doing LEDs in the rear you'll need to do resistors back there too (I haven't checked the wire colors, they may be different).

There is a mod that can be made to increase the brightness difference between the marker and turn functions. If anyone's interested I can show how to do that.
Old 06-14-2018 | 04:55 PM
JK Super Freak

BTW since I last posted about the JL-style grille project I molded a second one, this time with molded-in recesses for 2 1/2" LED turn signals (the factory turn signals are 3 1/2").

In case anyone's interested, these are the LEDs: https://grandgeneral.com/auto-parts/...-marker-light/. They also come in clear lenses with amber LEDs. At 2 1/2", they're smaller than the 3 1/2" factory lights. They're dual function (high and low intensity), so they're easy to connect to the Jeep. They do need a load resistor on the turn signal side, but that's part of the plug-and-play wiring adapters I made.

In this next photo the passenger side light is at high intensity (turn signal).

I'm planning to mold a third grille, this time I'll mold in recesses for the factory turn signals (the LEDs above are 2 1/2" vs. the factory 3 1/2" lights). I'll put the turn signals in the "Safari Concept" position:, which is inboard from the factory JK position but not as far inboard as the grille above.

Old 06-15-2018 | 06:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Putting the buckets for the signals inboard looks better then the stock JL grill.
Old 06-17-2018 | 05:35 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

This keeps getting better
Old 06-29-2018 | 11:24 AM
JK Super Freak

I molded another JL-style grille for the JK yesterday; this one has recesses to accept factory turn signals:

Two weeks ago I molded one with recesses to accept smaller (2 1/2") LED turn signals, here's the new grille next to thae one:

Old 06-29-2018 | 05:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

That looks good.
Old 06-30-2018 | 05:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Awesome

This is great. I like the larger grill slots. I hope someone does put it in production. I think the looks and airflow of that recent mold will be big.
Fun to watch you mold stuff.

Originally Posted by jscherb
I molded another JL-style grille for the JK yesterday; this one has recesses to accept factory turn signals:

Two weeks ago I molded one with recesses to accept smaller (2 1/2") LED turn signals, here's the new grille next to thae one:

Old 07-02-2018 | 06:16 AM
JK Super Freak

Ever since I built the prototype Overhead/Swing-Down Molle panels they've been in use in both ky JKU and LJ in a somewhat unfinished state - when I first installed the unfinished prototypes I liked them so much I put them right to use and didn't remove them to finish up a few details - until now. Here's the unfinished prototype in use in the JKU, all of the parts are raw metal and not in final form:

And here's the finished version:

Also, a few weeks ago I sent the engineering details and specs off to a company that wants to manufacture/market it, so hopefully they'll be available in the not-too-distant future.
Old 07-02-2018 | 01:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Here's what the grille I just molded looks like with turn signals installed. The grille is next to the one with 2.5" LEDs; the LEDs are brighter (check the reflection on the floor in the first photo) and what I didn't expect is that they're also brighter from a side angle.

Might paint one of these and install it on my Jeep, but no hurry to do that since the first grille is still looking good too. And I haven't yet decided which variant I like best.
Old 07-02-2018 | 03:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jscherb

And here's the finished version:

Also, a few weeks ago I sent the engineering details and specs off to a company that wants to manufacture/market it, so hopefully they'll be available in the not-too-distant future.

Much Want!

Quick Reply: Custom modular JK hardtop