Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Custom modular JK hardtop

Old 04-30-2018 | 04:57 PM
JK Newbie

Man, that grill just looks perfect! Great work as usual and that fleet sure does look nice. I'd be curious to see a before and after comparison of your JKU before the modular safari hardtop, flat fenders and now JL style grill. Each mod makes it more and more unique. So that begs the question, what's next
Old 04-30-2018 | 05:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by LoboMike
Man, that grill just looks perfect! Great work as usual and that fleet sure does look nice. I'd be curious to see a before and after comparison of your JKU before the modular safari hardtop, flat fenders and now JL style grill. Each mod makes it more and more unique. So that begs the question, what's next
Thank you very much. Here's a pair of photos - "as bought" and "as is today".

Next I've got to get ready for a road trip to Overland West.
Old 05-01-2018 | 04:28 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by jscherb
Thank you very much. Here's a pair of photos - "as bought" and "as is today".

Next I've got to get ready for a road trip to Overland West.
It's funny, it's so easy to focus on the individual projects and upgrades that looking at the overall before and after is a pretty striking difference. Also, that grille looks better on the JK than the JK grille does.
Old 05-03-2018 | 02:00 PM
JK Super Freak

People that actually know Jeeps must pass you and wonder "what the hell is that guy driving?" It looks like a TJ and a JK with some JL and maybe a Rover in there!
Great work though. I wish I had some skills.

Last edited by Cutman; 05-06-2018 at 06:51 AM.
Old 05-03-2018 | 02:15 PM
JK Newbie

Please offer these for sale!
Old 05-03-2018 | 02:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JKcity
Please offer these for sale!
An entrepreneur has contacted me; he'd like to start a Jeep accessories company with this grille being his first product. He's posted some questions on another forum to do some market research on the grille, what options people would want (where the turn signals should be, for example), how much they think it should sell for, etc. It'll be interesting to see the responses he gets.

I've had several conversations with him and he seems to be a very smart and focused guy, I like him.
Old 05-03-2018 | 04:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

An entrepreneur has contacted me; he'd like to start a Jeep accessories company with this grille being his first product. He's posted some questions on another forum to do some market research on the grille, what options people would want (where the turn signals should be, for example), how much they think it should sell for, etc. It'll be interesting to see the responses he gets.

I've had several conversations with him and he seems to be a very smart and focused guy, I like him.
Rounded slats instead of squared.
Old 05-04-2018 | 03:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by akpostal
Rounded slats instead of squared.
His main questions are whether or not to do holes for the turn signals, if so where to put them, pricing and material (fiberglass or ABS). Changing the slots is not in question.
Old 05-04-2018 | 05:04 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Out of curiosity, if a mass production of these were to happen, how would that actually work out? I'm assuming you wouldn't make them all one at a time.. Do you just provide the mold and let the manufacturer manufacture?
Old 05-04-2018 | 05:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by icrashbikes
Out of curiosity, if a mass production of these were to happen, how would that actually work out? I'm assuming you wouldn't make them all one at a time.. Do you just provide the mold and let the manufacturer manufacture?
I would provide the company with my mold master, not my mold. They would use the master to either make a production mold if they're going to manufacture the grille in fiberglass, or they'd 3d scan the master to make a mold if they were going to produce them in plastic. If they wanted to do any modifications to the design, for example to add turn signal buckets, they'd do that to the mold master in the case of fiberglass and probably they'd do it in CAD after 3d scanning for plastic.

I would help them only in an advisory capacity as they were preparing for production. I would have no role in the manufacture or sales of the product. Other than me advising them during the set-up phase, I wouldn't be involved.

Quick Reply: Custom modular JK hardtop