Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Custom modular JK hardtop

Old 04-09-2018 | 01:40 PM
JK Junkie

Not sure your supposed to have to do this but i put the rubber grommet around the inner piece of the cap and it seemed to stop the water from dripping / however not thrilled about that scallop being there in the first place but as long as it dosent leak im ok . but maybe it requires to place the rubber grommet there regardless., just hope the rubber piece dosent fail another thought would be to lightly sand some of the scallop down a tad on the can to try and even out that surface ? but that idea is iffy . That whole surface is kinda not flat as seen in pic before this post . any suggestions rather than send it back . cuz i threw the box away ! lol & really dont feel like returning it if theres a fix
(not to be negative on it but thats quality control there by the manufacture . Should have been inspected for a smooth surface )

Last edited by jeepmojo; 04-09-2018 at 02:10 PM.
Old 04-09-2018 | 01:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jeepmojo

Not sure your supposed to have to do this but i put the rubber grommet around the inner piece of the cap and it seemed to stop the water from dripping / however not thrilled about that scallop being there in the first place but as long as it dosent leak im ok . but maybe it requires to place the rubber grommet there regardless., just hope the rubber piece dosent fail
I've never had a leak with a Rubican and I put the gasket in contact with the neck of the container like you have.
Old 04-09-2018 | 02:15 PM
JK Junkie

Ok So i did the right thing then, on the rubber grommet good.
Do you think i should do anything with the scallop or just leave it be As long as it dosent seam to leak after adding the rubber seal?
Is the surface of yours like mine ? maybe you can post a photo of the surface on yours . if yours is flat maybe thats why yours has never leaked .
im thinking maybe ill try and sand it at least smooth for a better seal on the rubber seal. The scallop almost looks like it will aim the water out there idk even with the gasket over time . Hope not. Idk if should just leave it be or smooth it somehow

Last edited by jeepmojo; 04-09-2018 at 02:48 PM.
Old 04-09-2018 | 02:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Ok So i did the right thing then, on the rubber grommet good.
Do you think i should do anything with the scallop or just leave it be As long as it dosent seam to leak after adding the rubber seal?
Is the surface of yours like mine ? maybe you can post a photo of the surface on yours . if yours is flat maybe thats why yours has never leaked .
im thinking maybe ill try and sand it at least smooth for a better seal on the rubber seal. The scallop almost looks like it will aim the water out there idk even with the gasket over time . Hope not. Idk if should just leave it be or smooth it somehow
The edge of the neck should be smooth, so you could try smoothing it.
The following users liked this post:
jeepmojo (04-09-2018)
Old 04-09-2018 | 04:07 PM
JK Junkie

Well after sanding it , it has high & low spots but seems to be not leaking so im leaving it
be. ill look for a better gasket when i look for spigot
Old 04-10-2018 | 12:37 PM
JK Junkie

Well thats done its on the tailgait. ! Pop the outside vent louver so u can get at the 2 nuts on mount . [presto - now have water , just got to get spigot and air vent
prob need a cup mount now

Last edited by jeepmojo; 04-10-2018 at 12:49 PM.
Old 04-10-2018 | 01:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Well thats done its on the tailgait. ! Pop the outside vent louver so u can get at the 2 nuts on mount . [presto - now have water , just got to get spigot and air vent
prob need a cup mount now
Nicely done!
The following users liked this post:
jeepmojo (04-10-2018)
Old 04-14-2018 | 09:00 AM
JK Super Freak

After a delay due to making a trip to Utah for Easter Jeep Safari and some other commitments, I'm back to work on the JL Grille for the JK project. I had one more detail to add to the master part before making the mold, so that's done and I'm now in the process of final finishing and perfecting the surface before making the mold.

The detail I added is inserts in the headlight buckets. I had already done the inserts in the grille slots, but since every JL I've seen so far also has inserts around the headlights, I wanted to add them too. I did them this morning so here are a few photos of the current state of progress with the headlight inserts.

The next step is high-build primer to perfect the surface, followed by a 2k clear coat.

I should be making the mold early in the week and if all goes well the first grilles will be coming out of the mold by the end of the week.
Old 04-16-2018 | 04:27 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

It just keeps getting better. I think the JK grille has indents at the back of the light buckets for access to the adjustment screws. I don't know how necessary they are but I figure it's worth mentioning. Looks fantastic!
Old 04-16-2018 | 04:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by icrashbikes
It just keeps getting better. I think the JK grille has indents at the back of the light buckets for access to the adjustment screws. I don't know how necessary they are but I figure it's worth mentioning. Looks fantastic!
Thank you. Check the photos closely, in some of them you'll see the indents for the adjusting screws. They don't show well in the photos, probably because of the lighting.

Quick Reply: Custom modular JK hardtop