Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Custom modular JK hardtop

Old 03-08-2018 | 04:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Finished molding the last two slots. Today I'll start assembling a complete JL-style grille. The outer two slots need to be modified so they intersect the headlights and I'll do that in the process of assembling the complete grille.

Last edited by jscherb; 03-08-2018 at 04:54 AM.
Old 03-08-2018 | 06:53 AM
Super Moderator
Vet Army

This is pretty cool!
Old 03-09-2018 | 12:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Here are some photos of the work in progress on the JL Grille for the JK. This first photo shows the new grille face; the slots I've been molding are clamped behind the face. The slots will be bonded to the back of the face and then the assembly will be smoothed/bodyworked. The outer slots will be modified to intersect the light buckets properly. The grille is curved the wrong way in these photos because the slots aren't fully trimmed yet and are overlapping in the back causing it to curve a bit when they're clamped to the face.

In this photo the new face, minus the slots, is clamped to a factory grille. The face and the grille will be bonded together after the slots are in place to make the complete grille assembly. I've got black cardboard hiding the old slots behind the new slots; the old slots will be cut out of the factory grille when the new face is installed.

So far everything is going according to the design and plan. Next I'll get the slots bonded to the face and the face installed on the factory grille.

The end result of this process will be a mold master grille that I'll make a mold from.
Old 03-10-2018 | 02:17 AM
JK Super Freak

The JL Grille for the JK is going together very nicely. I've got the slots bonded to the face and in these photos the face assembly is clamped onto a factory grille.

Compared to a factory grille. The backs of the slots of the new grille get cut out, they're solid in these photos for the moldmaking process.

These photos show the bend forward, which matches the bend forward of the JL grille. Also you can see I haven't finished the intersection between the outer slots and the headlight buckets yet.

Next I've got to finish the intersection of the outer slots and headlight buckets, and do some bodywork on the entire panel. Once I do that and put a nice finish on everything I'll be ready to make the mold.
Old 03-10-2018 | 03:57 AM
JK Freak
Veteran: Marine Corp

Wow! I must say you are extremely talented and have a great eye for design. I don't know that I'd go with the hard top, but only because that's not the direction I'm going with my Jeep. I certainly like the design.

I like how the grill is coming out a lot though, and can see me putting that on just to mix things up a bit. I like the new JL grill in pics. Haven't seen in person yet though. The JL grill design definitely beats the angry grill I see all over the place. To each their own, but I can't stand the angry grill look.
Old 03-10-2018 | 12:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by smittycm
Wow! I must say you are extremely talented and have a great eye for design. I don't know that I'd go with the hard top, but only because that's not the direction I'm going with my Jeep. I certainly like the design.

I like how the grill is coming out a lot though, and can see me putting that on just to mix things up a bit. I like the new JL grill in pics. Haven't seen in person yet though. The JL grill design definitely beats the angry grill I see all over the place. To each their own, but I can't stand the angry grill look.
Thank you very much. My design goal for the grille was to replicate the look of the factory JL grille as closely as possible so it the Jeep looks like could have come from the factory with this grille. I'm very happy with the results so far.
Old 03-11-2018 | 04:14 AM
JK Super Freak

You may have noticed that I'm not putting recesses for the turn signals in the grille, I'm doing that for two reasons.

First, the turn signals on the JL are on the fenders, so if this grille were to be installed it would be possible to do fender-mounted turn signals just like the JL.

Second, some people (including me) think the turn signals should be moved inboard a bit to be more like a CJ grille, but there are core support brackets in the way behind the grille that prevent the factory turn signals from being mounted more inboard. By using surface mount lights or lights that minimally protrude behind the grille those brackets can be avoided and the turn signals can be placed anywhere. Here are some examples of lights than could be used. These are just a few options, there are others.

The factory JK turn signals can be installed using a hole saw. There are lots of writeups on this, it's a fairly common mod for TJ's and it would work perfectly in this fiberglass grille. Some photos of JK signals in a TJ grille:

CJ-7 lights might be a bit too large:

CJ2/CJ3 turn signals could be used. In the left photo I've posed just the lens on the grille, on the right it's on a CJ3 grille and you can see it's got a chrome base:

These next examples snap into a hole in the grille, with minimal protrusion through the back side. In the right photos they're just sitting on the surface, when mounted they'd be in a hole and a bit closer to the surface.

A 2.5" light with a rounded chrome bezel:

A 2.5" light with an angled chrome bezel:

A 2" light with a rubber mounting grommet (the 2.5" lights above can be installed with just a grommet as well):

There are others, for example this 3" surface mount light: UNITED PACIFIC INDUSTRIES COMMERCIAL TRUCK DIVISION :

I haven't decided what I'll do on my Jeep yet, what do you guys like?
Old 03-12-2018 | 12:58 PM
JK Super Freak

The production JK HD Door Hinges that match the tailgate hinges are due to be available this week. I'll pick up my set next week when I stop by MORryde on my way to Moab.

Today I designed and built a prototype of another accessory for the hinges - a HiLift mount. It bolts to the hinges in the same way that the steps do - the hinges don't have to be unbolted from the door in order to install or remove the HiLift mount. A few photos of the new mount on my salt-encrusted JKU (just back from a trip to snowy Boston):

The parts are raw aluminum right now, I'll paint them black this evening.

The jack mount can go on any of the 4 doors. Also in the photo above a hinge step is installed on the rear door.
Old 03-12-2018 | 01:50 PM
JK Freak
Veteran: Marine Corp

Regarding light options, I'm a fan of the smaller lights with the black grommets myself. Less intrusive than the larger 3" lights, and I'm not a fan of chrome. Just my personal taste though. Very cool grill though. Consider me a likely customer if that grill ever makes it into production.
Old 03-12-2018 | 02:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by smittycm
Regarding light options, I'm a fan of the smaller lights with the black grommets myself. Less intrusive than the larger 3" lights, and I'm not a fan of chrome. Just my personal taste though. Very cool grill though. Consider me a likely customer if that grill ever makes it into production.
Thanks for the input.

Quick Reply: Custom modular JK hardtop