Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Custom modular JK hardtop

Old 08-12-2017 | 01:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Today I was working on the mounts for the Garvin Wilderness Rack I found last week on Craigslist and in the process was thinking about access to cargo in the rack. I probably won't do this because I can stand on the tire and reach everything I need to in the rack, but I did design the fenders to be strong enough to serve as steps. To avoid scratching the finish, a diamond plate step could be made and attached with double-sided automotive tape as per this drawing.

Old 08-12-2017 | 02:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jscherb
Today I was working on the mounts for the Garvin Wilderness Rack I found last week on Craigslist and in the process was thinking about access to cargo in the rack. I probably won't do this because I can stand on the tire and reach everything I need to in the rack, but I did design the fenders to be strong enough to serve as steps. To avoid scratching the finish, a diamond plate step could be made and attached with double-sided automotive tape as per this drawing.

Old 08-13-2017 | 04:59 AM
JK Super Freak

I got a question in a PM about mounting a Cherokee roof rack on the factory JK hardtop and supporting it to the roll bar like I did in the Safari Cab. I've posted photos of my Safari Cab roll bar brackets earlier in this thread, but they won't work with the factory hardtop because they're designed for the extra clearance of the higher Safari Cab roof. They're also designed to support the rack tracks on closer centers than the stock Cherokee rack centers because on the Safari Cab I narrowed the rack to install the tracks inboard of the Alpine windows. I recommended that he check out the instructions for the Teraflex Nebo roof rack, which includes roll bar brackets that work with the factory hardtop - those brackets will be closer to what is needed than my Safari Cab brackets. The Nebo instructions are available online, I found them at the Quadratec web site.

Old 08-13-2017 | 05:08 AM
JK Super Freak

I got this cell phone photo from the engineer at the RV window company today - it's a preproduction JK 2-door slider window. It's sitting in a retrofit kit to install it into a factory hardtop. This one is a passenger side, they were about to make up a driver's side and she said she'd ship both to me tomorrow. As soon as I get them I'll verify all of the details for correctness and assuming everything is good, I'll "bless" them for production.

They should be available very soon.
Got word yesterday that a pair of preproduction 2dr slider windows will be delivered to me on Tuesday. I'll install them in the modular hardtop side panels Tuesday afternoon; assuming everything checks out they'll be ready for production. Photos on Tuesday.
Old 08-13-2017 | 06:40 AM
JK Enthusiast
Vet Army

Looks great!
Old 08-13-2017 | 07:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Got word yesterday that a pair of preproduction 2dr slider windows will be delivered to me on Tuesday. I'll install them in the modular hardtop side panels Tuesday afternoon; assuming everything checks out they'll be ready for production. Photos on Tuesday.
Me AND my dog are going to love these! So AWESOME..Thx jscherb for creating these! Absolutely brilliant!
Old 08-15-2017 | 12:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Today a pair of preproduction 2dr slider windows were delivered for me to approve. I installed one in the modular test hardtop right away to verify that everything is correct. These are now ready for production. I expect the company will place the first production orders for the windows and the retrofit kit right away, so they should be available shortly.

Old 08-15-2017 | 12:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Today a pair of preproduction 2dr slider windows were delivered for me to approve. I installed one in the modular test hardtop right away to verify that everything is correct. These are now ready for production. I expect the company will place the first production orders for the windows and the retrofit kit right away, so they should be available shortly.

Ohhhhhh those are purdddy!!!!!! I've been hitn their site everyday to see if/when their taking orders..very excited!!!!!
Old 08-16-2017 | 06:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Here's a little project I thought up a few days ago... a DIY awning. When I have the RTT installed to open off the back, it provides shade from the sun for the kitchen area. I was thinking it might be nice to have some shade on the trail for the majority of the time when I'm not carrying the tent, so I made this. to provide shade for the rear kitchen area. It's self-retracting like a window shade (because that's what it is ). I've got about $45 invested in it. I still need to finish up some details like some paracord tie-downs with tent stakes to keep it from moving around too much in a breeze.

Last edited by jscherb; 08-16-2017 at 07:43 AM.
Old 08-16-2017 | 06:04 AM
JK Super Freak

A few more photos of the awning project.

The support rods stow in the zippered cover:

Quick Reply: Custom modular JK hardtop