Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Custom modular JK hardtop

Old 01-20-2015 | 05:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by saharaharry
Don't listen to other people who are IDIOTS! You have a WINNER!
Thank you. Glad you like it .

Originally Posted by Cutman
You won't get paid NOT do do it. And then I'll never get one.
It's not about getting paid, I do this as a hobby. For me the main reward is seeing my design turn into reality, which is already happening as I am building the first prototype.
Old 01-20-2015 | 06:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Gr8Tops, the company that manufactures and markets the TJ/LJ Safari Cab, posted some photos on their Facebook page of TJ Safari Cab in white they installed for a customer; being white, it made me want to compare it side-by-side with the white 2dr JK Safari Cab concept...

Old 01-20-2015 | 06:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Keep posting these updates so a vendor hopefully picks it up. I really want that barn door! Opening the glass on the hard top with a loaded tire carrier is impossible unless its fully open, which depending on the terrain can sometimes be impossible
Old 01-20-2015 | 07:04 AM
JK Newbie

so two things... I agree you have some serious talent... That being said my personal opinion, I don't care for this at all. I feel like if you want a Land Rover buy a land rover... Part of what makes a Jeep a Jeep is the removable top. This completely defeats that purpose... Regardless of my opinion, best of luck with your design.
Old 01-20-2015 | 07:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Vladimer
Keep posting these updates so a vendor hopefully picks it up. I really want that barn door! Opening the glass on the hard top with a loaded tire carrier is impossible unless its fully open, which depending on the terrain can sometimes be impossible
There is one company that's interested in marketing the barn door as an option for factory hardtops, and they want to get started asap, but I don't think it makes sense to make a commitment to a company on just the barn door before I finish up the molds for the rest of the Safari Cab. Wouldn't make sense to let a company do the barn door only to find out they decide later not to do the whole hardtop, then some other company that might want to do the hardtop might not want some other company to have "their" barn door.
Old 01-20-2015 | 07:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jscherb
There is one company that's interested in marketing the barn door as an option for factory hardtops, and they want to get started asap, but I don't think it makes sense to make a commitment to a company on just the barn door before I finish up the molds for the rest of the Safari Cab. Wouldn't make sense to let a company do the barn door only to find out they decide later not to do the whole hardtop, then some other company that might want to do the hardtop might not want some other company to have "their" barn door.
For sure, that does make perfect sense. Hope it all works out soon enough though
Old 01-20-2015 | 07:35 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by VicPerz
so two things... I agree you have some serious talent... That being said my personal opinion, I don't care for this at all. I feel like if you want a Land Rover buy a land rover... Part of what makes a Jeep a Jeep is the removable top. This completely defeats that purpose... Regardless of my opinion, best of luck with your design.
I think you must be misunderstanding the Safari Cab modular design - the Safari Cab is more removable than the Jeep factory hardtop. You can remove the entire hardtop in the same way that the factory hardtop comes off, or you can just remove the side panels, and I've shown a concept drawing where you can remove the roof panel to open up everything. And removing the entire top can be easier than removing the one-piece factory hardtop because you could remove it in more manageable pieces.

If you don't like the looks of the JK Safari Cab that's fine, but it's as removable as the factory hardtop, and unlike the factory hardtop, since it's modular you can remove just some parts of it to configure it the way you want.
Old 01-20-2015 | 07:43 AM
JK Newbie

I think this top is a great idea and fulfills a lot of wants I have. Really great looking and your talent in design and engineering is fantastic. Thanks for sharing this and taking us along as it progresses. And the models! Love the scale versions you have made (and the cardboard ones as well).

Can't wait to see where this leads. Would love to see it hit the market, but hope you are happy however it comes out.

Jim
F210
Old 01-20-2015 | 09:39 AM
JK Super Freak

A few weeks ago Rugged Ridge shared some concept drawings of the JK Safari Cab on their Facebook page, and there was a lot of criticism from people who thought it looked like a Land Rover. It made me think I shouldn't bother to let a company license the design and that I should just make one for myself and be done with it.
First, you're talking Facebook, bastion of the Spectator Sport, second, who gives a Tinkers Dam about what Facebook followers think..
This Forum represents Jeep People, not Dilettante Whiners. Go with the people who are knowledgeable about Jeeps , and what they want. Seems pretty solidly in your corner.
Old 01-20-2015 | 09:50 AM
JK Super Freak

It's unlikely that any existing minivan glass would fit the JK factory hardtop, I'm not aware of anything that's the same size/shape as the JK hardtop windows. But as I posted earlier this morning, I've worked out a retrofit kit that allows standard RV-style windows to be installed in the factory hardtop, the retrofit kit deals with the curved mounting surface of the hardtop and allows flt RV-style windows to be installed.

The retrofit kit may come to market, I've already had conversations with two companies that are interested in offering such a product.

RV windows that could be made in the correct size for the factory top include sliders, swing-ups, and combo slider/swing-ups, among others. Minimum manufacturing runs for windows like that are typically a dozen pairs of windows, and in those quantities the windows are surprisingly inexpensive, so any of those styles could be offered in an affordable retrofit kit for factory hardtops if a company wanted to do so.

I'm not talking MiniVan glass, I'm talking MiniVan Glass HARD WARE on JK hard top glass. Glass can be drilled, hardware bonded to JK Glass. Sorry for the diversion, but worth exploring ?

Quick Reply: Custom modular JK hardtop