Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Custom modular JK hardtop

Old 04-18-2017 | 04:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Not a fan of that look. To me, looks to heavy and unbalanced and awkward. I'm not a wordsmith, so I can't come up with the best way to explain what I see. It that's the best I can do: unbalanced.

Love the roof with rear supports.
Old 04-18-2017 | 05:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Fooddude
Not a fan of that look. To me, looks to heavy and unbalanced and awkward. I'm not a wordsmith, so I can't come up with the best way to explain what I see. It that's the best I can do: unbalanced.
I don't run it that way, but since he asked about it, it is possible and I had a photo of it in that configuration, I posted the photo.

Originally Posted by Fooddude
Love the roof with rear supports.
I ran it configured with the metal rear supports/all around roll up sides/rear for several summers, but these days my favorite summer configuration uses the hardtop rear corners, roll-up sides and the soft barn door upper. For me that's the best combination of closed operation (very easy access to the cargo area with the barn door) and open operation (the barn door upper removes quickly and stores inside above the roll bar), and the quickest change from open to closed operation in case of weather (roll the sides down and stick the barn door on the tailgate).

I'm referring to the LJ Safari Cab in case that's not clear, but all of the above combinations are possible with the JK Safari Cab as well (except that I haven't gotten around to sewing the soft sides for the JK version yet).
Old 04-18-2017 | 08:02 PM
JK Newbie

Very cool. Thanks for the responses.
Old 04-20-2017 | 03:22 AM
JK Super Freak

The "free sample" Dometic fridge in the back of the JKU; I'm about to begin working on design ideas for mounting it - slides/shelves, etc. I've got a swivel idea I want to try out too.

Old 04-20-2017 | 06:39 AM
JK Super Freak

A few weeks ago I showed how I installed a spigot in a Rubican water container. I wrote about needing a vent in the container to ensure smooth flow of water and posted a photo of a vent I ordered, but the vent hadn't arrived before I had to leave for Easter Jeep Safari. The vent has arrived, here are some photos of it installed and a video showing dispensing water...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xKzmh1GeT0
Old 04-20-2017 | 09:18 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jscherb
A few weeks ago I showed how I installed a spigot in a Rubican water container. I wrote about needing a vent in the container to ensure smooth flow of water and posted a photo of a vent I ordered, but the vent hadn't arrived before I had to leave for Easter Jeep Safari. The vent has arrived, here are some photos of it installed and a video showing dispensing water...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xKzmh1GeT0
Neat! From where did you source the spigot and vent? I am eyeballing my rotopax water can and hoping I can make this work.

On your big over the tire rack, wondering if it'd be do-able to make provisions for the rack to fit on the Teraflex hinge tire carrier?
While the Alta Rack looks great and all, the weight and the price of the thing seem excessive to me.
Old 04-20-2017 | 11:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by furbishv
Neat! From where did you source the spigot and vent? I am eyeballing my rotopax water can and hoping I can make this work.
Here's the post with that info: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-s...4/#post4286745

Originally Posted by furbishv
On your big over the tire rack, wondering if it'd be do-able to make provisions for the rack to fit on the Teraflex hinge tire carrier?
While the Alta Rack looks great and all, the weight and the price of the thing seem excessive to me.
I could modify the rack design to also work with the Teraflex hinge, but it would require a few changes - the Teraflex tailgate reinforcement stops at the passenger side of the spare carrier while my reinforcement design goes a bit beyond the driver's side of the spare carrier and reinforces more of the tailgate than the Teraflex reinforcement does. My rack takes advantage of the extra structure provided by my reinforcement, so adapting my rack to the Teraflex reinforcement would require somehow dealing with the lack of reinforcement on the driver's side of the tailgate.

Probably I won't complicate my rack design by making those mods for the Teraflex reinforcement, but I'll give it some thought.
Old 04-21-2017 | 03:25 AM
JK Super Freak

I'm researching fridge installation options. Dometic sells a slide (https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...-cfx-35-cfx-40), but according to specs I find it only extends the fridge 24", which is ok but a double extension slide might be more useful.

It turns out MORryde sells a double-extension slide that should be perfect for this fridge, it's their SP56-132 model: Freezer Sliding Trays - MORryde Products

I sent an email to MORryde them to send me one of those slides to test, when it arrives I'll get serious about the fridge project .

In other news, the company doing the Tactical Spare covers now has them on their web site: Tactical Spare Tire Covers | Retrofit Offroad
Old 04-22-2017 | 03:03 AM
JK Super Freak

A bunch of random updates...

- The double-extension slide I'll test with the fridge is supposed to be shipping to me from MORryde next Tuesday so it should be in my hands by the end of the week.

I've got a few ideas for mounting the fridge on the slide that I haven't seen tried before - one thing I plan to try is a swivel mount - I've got a 225-lb. capacity TV swivel/extension, and I'm thinking if the fridge swiveled out at the end of the main slide travel it could allow for more room for a work surface. The swivel I have is very similar to this one: Heavy-Duty TV Pullout Slide | Rockler Woodworking and Hardware

Not sure how the swivel will work out or if it will be practical, but seems like it could open up a bunch of workspace so it'll be an interesting experiment.

I've got a few other new ideas to try out with the fridge/slide, stay tuned.

- I got an unexpected package from the window manufacturer yesterday. Opened it up and it was another set of hardtop sliders. It took me a few minutes to notice that this set (bottom of the photo below) has clear glass; the production sets have tinted glass (top set). This set is a mystery, don't know why they were built or why I got them - I never specified clear glass because I don't think anyone would want clear.

- On the same subject, I turned over a final version of the window installation instructions to the company Thursday:

- Also did some work on the JKU Thursday, the flat fenders turned out to be a really handy work surface .

Old 04-22-2017 | 04:11 AM
JK Super Freak

The Clear Sliders are Serendipitous, I prefer clear to tinted for visibility, plus clear is less prone to scratches from excited K9s .
I'll gladly take them ! Even if 4dr . Make a blank, use until 2dr comes out, do drivers side only for now.
PS , neither RetroFit nor MorRyde has updated their website to show the inside Ammo can carriers. I wanted measurements , to see if would fit in 2dr, rear seat removed. Soon, I hope ?

Last edited by Four Low; 04-22-2017 at 04:20 AM.

Quick Reply: Custom modular JK hardtop