Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Custom modular JK hardtop

Old 04-17-2017 | 10:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 2qik2see
Really interested in the 2 door hardtop sliders! Also, the soft top option for the hardtop as well. I'm looking into flat fenders..I'm really wanting to go with aluminum. Any suggestions? Totally dign your ideas and thoughts..you turn imaginations and ideas into real possibilities. I thank you for that. Keep it up!
Thank you.

I talked to the company at EJS about the 2-door sliders and they say as soon as they launch the JKU slider kit (within a week or two), they'll decide about the 2-door kit - if the JKU kit sells as expected, they'll definitely be doing the late model 2-dr next. It will only take me a few days to get the ball rolling on the 2-dr kit, I've done almost all of the work already, mostly I just have to deliver the prototype parts to the hardware company that will be making the retrofit kit.

I don't have any recommendations on aluminum flat fenders, I don't really know what's on the market - all I've done is check around to see if anyone's done true Willy-style flat fenders and haven't found any except the ones I've done.
Old 04-17-2017 | 11:54 AM
JK Super Freak

I'm chiming in on the 2dr Sliders ; the way the 2dr seating is set up, the hardtop sliders actually make more sense on the 2dr , since the 4dr seats have their own door/window.
I would expect the 2dr to sell better than the 4dr, I can only hope the Vendor doesn't tie the sucess of 4dr to production of late model 2 dr.
Old 04-17-2017 | 07:10 PM
JK Newbie

I saw an old FJ that basically only had the top panel from the hardtop in place...almost like a golf cart top. Is it possible to do this with one of the jeep tops that has been made "modular"? I really like the idea of a hard top and open sides without having the pieces in the corners. I guess it would take some bracing under the top since the roll bar doesn't go to the top rear corners.

Great thread and great work on this!
Old 04-17-2017 | 07:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Four Low
I'm chiming in on the 2dr Sliders ; the way the 2dr seating is set up, the hardtop sliders actually make more sense on the 2dr , since the 4dr seats have their own door/window.
I would expect the 2dr to sell better than the 4dr, I can only hope the Vendor doesn't tie the sucess of 4dr to production of late model 2 dr.
Ild pay full price for a late model 2 door kit right now, even the prototype.
Old 04-17-2017 | 07:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jscherb
I sometimes carry a spare battery in the ammo can tray in my JKU, a battery box fits nicely.

The back seat takes up too much room for this in a 2-door, although without the back seat it might work.
Do I need to call Morryde direct to get this? They have Retofit listed as a seller but I cant find this on their site.
Old 04-17-2017 | 08:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Four Low
Definitely agree with this!!!
Old 04-18-2017 | 02:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Bobby D.
I saw an old FJ that basically only had the top panel from the hardtop in place...almost like a golf cart top. Is it possible to do this with one of the jeep tops that has been made "modular"? I really like the idea of a hard top and open sides without having the pieces in the corners. I guess it would take some bracing under the top since the roll bar doesn't go to the top rear corners.

Great thread and great work on this!
Yes it's possible and I've done it with both of my Safari Cab designs and with a factory hardtop.

Like this?

Or this?

I also recently did a modular conversion of a factory hardtop and documented it to be a DIY conversion so others can do the same conversion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdjgxPO9O1U The designs also include roll-up soft sides for the summer.

Bracing in the rear can either be the rear part of the hardtop as shown in the first and last photos above, or brackets as shown in the second photo and in this photo:

Old 04-18-2017 | 02:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by akpostal
Do I need to call Morryde direct to get this? They have Retofit listed as a seller but I cant find this on their site.
MORryde/Retrofit were showing it in the Retrofit JKU at the EJS Vendor Expo.

Should be back on the Retrofit site soon. Or you could call MORryde directly. I recommended a few minor changes in the second production run and that should be happening shortly.

I haven't tried it in a 2-door so I can't guarantee it will fit well in one.

It is listed on the MORryde site.

Old 04-18-2017 | 09:25 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks J. The last pic is pretty close to what I was looking for. I see that you have a lot of gear on top. If you didn't need to support weight, would it be possible to do it without any vertical supports in the back?
Old 04-18-2017 | 02:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Bobby D.
Thanks J. The last pic is pretty close to what I was looking for. I see that you have a lot of gear on top. If you didn't need to support weight, would it be possible to do it without any vertical supports in the back?
Yes, it could be run as shown in the photo below. The back is being supported by the brackets to the roll bars. These brackets support the rear of the roof rack, but also can serve to support the roof without the vertical supports or rear panel in place.

The JK version of the Safari Cab has similar roof rack support brackets in the rear, so it could be run the same way.

I don't run the tops this way and if I were to do it I'd probably make a minor change in the brackets to improve the side-to-side rigidity because as they are now they are mostly for vertical support, but that would be an easy change to the brackets.

Quick Reply: Custom modular JK hardtop