Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Custom modular JK hardtop

Old 04-02-2017 | 04:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by TxCoastie
Beautiful work!

Where can I order the tactical molle spare tire cover and the black water jug with the spigot?
The Rubican water container is available from Retrofit Offroad and comes with the mount. The spigot is a simple mod I did myself, using a spigot I got on eBay (Tomlinson Spigot Water Crock Replacement Spigot Faucet Dispenser Valve BLACK USA | eBay), a vent I got on eBay (5 10 25 50 100 Universal Black Fuel Diesel Gas Can Jug Air Vent Cap Plugs Single | eBay), the vent is needed because with the much smaller output tube of the spigot flow can be interrupted by air flowing back in to replace the liquid that's flowed out. The only other part is a simple insert for the cap to accept the spigot, I cut one from some scrap plastic I had on hand:

I'm told the first production run of the Tactical Spare Cover is complete and they will formally go on sale in 2-3 weeks, although the company will have about a dozen of them available for sale next week at the Easter Jeep Safari Vendor Expo. Since they won't formally announce until next week, I probably shouldn't spoil that by posting their name.
Old 04-02-2017 | 07:09 PM
JK Newbie
Veteran: Coast Guard

This is great! I want buy the Excursion Rack so I can mount a couple water jugs you mentioned. Thanks!
Old 04-03-2017 | 01:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by TxCoastie
This is great! I want buy the Excursion Rack so I can mount a couple water jugs you mentioned. Thanks!
The Excursion Rack is available at Retrofit Offroad (Jeep Wrangler Trail Racks | Retrofit Offroad) which also sells the Rubican water jugs, and Extreme Terrain (MORryde Wrangler Spare Tire Cargo Rack JP56-001 (87-17 Wrangler YJ, TJ, & JK) - Free Shipping).

I find the Excursion Rack very useful on the trails, and now that I've got the Rubican jugs mounted on it I think it'll be even more useful. Some photos from trails (before the Rubicans):

I often use it for lunch...

On this trip I was carrying a large 20mm ammo can with my recovery gear:

The following users liked this post:
Alextorello (09-18-2022)
Old 04-03-2017 | 12:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Got the production Storegate storage compartment/trail table installed on the JK tailgate. A little trimming for the Safari Cab barn door stakes was required, but that only took a few minutes.

I had a preproduction Storegate installed until I installed the Safari Cab, but I took that off when I put the barn door stakes in place, I figured I'd wait until I received a production Storegate and I'd do the trimming on that one to fit with the stakes.

Last edited by jscherb; 04-03-2017 at 12:23 PM.
Old 04-04-2017 | 03:30 PM
JK Newbie

Default Jeep Moab Easter Safari

Lots of your designs in some of these concepts, and your "SAFARI" logo:

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...um.com20170404
Old 04-04-2017 | 04:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Heater
Lots of your designs in some of these concepts, and your "SAFARI" logo:

2017 Moab Easter Jeep Safari Concepts: So Much Want » AutoGuide.com News
It wouldn't be hard to believe that the Jeep designers are following my threads... a few years ago they did the Africa concept, which looks a lot like my JK Safari Cab and came out probably two years after my concept drawings and initial fiberglass parts photos were posted, it had a rear barn door, similar profile on the raised roof (although no Alpine windows), side mounted jerry cans... and now they've done a concept they actually call the Safari, which has (if you've seen the photo of the rear of it), among other features, windows in the rear of the hardtop on either side of the hatch like both of my Safari Cab designs, again a raised roof, and check out the tailgate hinges, they're very similar to my HD hinges.

Despite whatever similarities there may be, there is one important difference between their Africa and Safari concepts and my JK Safari Cab - mine is actually on the road as a daily driver, and theirs are... ?
Old 04-07-2017 | 03:19 AM
JK Super Freak

I've posted a concept drawing of what the rear flat fenders might look like before, but here's one showing the fenders in black as I molded them. The shapes, angles and radii of the rears are the same as the front fenders.

Before I start making the mold masters for the rears, I'm exloring a few design options. In all of the options below, the flat parts are still flat and the tops are level with the ground just like the fronts, and unlike the factory fenders which slope down from the body to the outside of the fender, so the overall look of the rears is the same as the front. But I've varied a few elements in each of these drawings.

In design concept 2, I've softened the radius of the bends a bit to match the bend radius of the factory fenders. The flat parts are still flat where the factory fenders are curved.

Design concept 3 has the same outer profile as concept 2, but the inside wheel arch is trimmed differently. The original Willys MB has front fenders exactly like these fronts, but doesn't have rear fenders at all - the tire is within the body so no flare/fender is required. But the wheel arch cut in the body is a semicircle, so this concept mimics that.

Design concept 4 has a tight radius at the front bend and a more curved one at the back, basically it's the front of option 1 and the back of option 2. Option 5 (not shown) would be to trim the inner wheel arch in a semicircle as in option 3, but I haven't shown that.

I'm posting this to get your opinions - which option do you think I should build? Or is there some other option I haven't posted that you think would be better than these?
Old 04-07-2017 | 03:26 AM
JK Freak

Default Flares

Originally Posted by jscherb
I've posted a concept drawing of what the rear flat fenders might look like before, but here's one showing the fenders in black as I molded them. The shapes, angles and radii of the rears are the same as the front fenders.

Before I start making the mold masters for the rears, I'm exloring a few design options. In all of the options below, the flat parts are still flat and the tops are level with the ground just like the fronts, and unlike the factory fenders which slope down from the body to the outside of the fender, so the overall look of the rears is the same as the front. But I've varied a few elements in each of these drawings.

In design concept 2, I've softened the radius of the bends a bit to match the bend radius of the factory fenders. The flat parts are still flat where the factory fenders are curved.

Design concept 3 has the same outer profile as concept 2, but the inside wheel arch is trimmed differently. The original Willys MB has front fenders exactly like these fronts, but doesn't have rear fenders at all - the tire is within the body so no flare/fender is required. But the wheel arch cut in the body is a semicircle, so this concept mimics that.

Design concept 4 has a tight radius at the front bend and a more curved one at the back, basically it's the front of option 1 and the back of option 2. Option 5 (not shown) would be to trim the inner wheel arch in a semicircle as in option 3, but I haven't shown that.

I'm posting this to get your opinions - which option do you think I should build? Or is there some other option I haven't posted that you think would be better than these?
GOOD JOB as usual. I would go with #1
Old 04-07-2017 | 06:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Option 1 is the strongest in my opinion. It matches the look of your front fender, and so while it may not be just like the Willys, it's closer in spirit. If the Willys would have needed a rear fender I imagine it would have been flat too.
The following users liked this post:
Alextorello (09-18-2022)
Old 04-07-2017 | 07:21 AM
JK Super Freak

I prefer the original, #1 . The squared off openings match front to rear . Also would match the squared -off trailer fenders of the 416 trailer. Nice cues to the past, work table, picnic tables, aka "fenders"

Last edited by Four Low; 04-07-2017 at 08:03 AM.

Quick Reply: Custom modular JK hardtop