Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Custom modular JK hardtop

Old 03-03-2017 | 07:15 AM
JK Super Freak

This morning I installed a pair of cardboard mockup flat fenders on the JK to check fit, shape and proportions. The fiberglass mounting flange is longer in the front and in the wheel arch than the final fenders will be, I've left it long for making the mold.

I plan to start making the mold masters tomorrow so if you have any suggestions for improvement of the size, shape or proportions of these cardboard mockups please let me know.
Old 03-03-2017 | 10:16 AM
JK Newbie

It's hard to make an aesthetic judgement with the stock rear fender on....but at first glance the hard edge/angle of the rear of the flat fender is jarring.
The whole JK is just so curvy all-over that having that hard edged down-angle?
Dunno, it just doesn't look right to me.
Personally I'd like to see a curve at the top rear of the fender, a Photoshop or something just to see.
Then again when the rear fender matches, it might all make sense and "flow" together.

As always, your work is fantastic.
Old 03-03-2017 | 11:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by furbishv
It's hard to make an aesthetic judgement with the stock rear fender on....but at first glance the hard edge/angle of the rear of the flat fender is jarring.
The whole JK is just so curvy all-over that having that hard edged down-angle?
Dunno, it just doesn't look right to me.
Personally I'd like to see a curve at the top rear of the fender, a Photoshop or something just to see.
Then again when the rear fender matches, it might all make sense and "flow" together.

As always, your work is fantastic.
All of the sharp edges will be radiused, similar to the TJ flat fenders. I don't want to make them too round, because then they start to get away from the original Willys MB fenders, but some radius is necessary for them to look right. It's far too much work to put nice radiuses on the cardboard mockups so all of the corners on the mockups are sharp.

I believe when the edges are softened as above and the rears are in place too, everything will look right. This concept sketch does show some rounding at the rear corner:

Old 03-03-2017 | 11:07 AM
JK Super Freak

A few more photos of the flat fender mockups:

Old 03-03-2017 | 11:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Doggone Nice !
Old 03-03-2017 | 05:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Looks seriously nice; I've held off on buying flares or cutting mine, I just haven't liked the lines I've seen in other flares. These with plastic tree installation (so they rip off instead of twisting the jeep skin) would be my ideal setup. I love that old school look.
Old 03-03-2017 | 06:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Four Low
Doggone Nice !
High praise indeed coming from someone with a Willys flatfender as his avatar .

Originally Posted by Erok
Looks seriously nice; I've held off on buying flares or cutting mine, I just haven't liked the lines I've seen in other flares. These with plastic tree installation (so they rip off instead of twisting the jeep skin) would be my ideal setup. I love that old school look.
Thank you.

I am planning on two methods of installation - bolt on, or break-away/pull out plastic fasteners. Will have to do some testing to find the most suitable plastic fasteners - something secure enough not to worry about in daily driving, but quick-enough to break away on contact with a trail obstacle. Also planning for the marker light wiring to be break-away.

Definitely going for the old school flatfender look - if I can't make people like Four Low happy with the looks of these then I haven't achieved my goal .
Old 03-09-2017 | 12:16 PM
JK Super Freak

I'm told the first production run of Tactical Spare Covers is now underway. The colors for the first run will be black, "Coyote 498" and Olive Drab. It took longer than expected to start the production because it took a while to source the right Coyote at the right price. Apparently there have been several "official" shades of Coyote used by the military; some are known as Coyote Brown, some as tan, and the shades are all over the place from different suppliers. The current milspec color is called Coyote 498; finding Coyote 498 at a good price took some time, but it's done and everything's in the sewing company's hands now (the sewing company is in Indiana, so these will be U.S.-made). The company tells me the retail price will be $99.99. They don't have an availability date yet, but hopefully they'll be ready in time for the Easter Jeep Safari Vendor Expo in 5 weeks.

Old 03-09-2017 | 12:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Spring may be late in the North East, but good things are coming for our JKs !
Tire Covers, Tailgate Boxes, Hardtop Sliders, FLAT FENDERS, Racks !
Old 03-09-2017 | 12:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jscherb
I'm told the first production run of Tactical Spare Covers is now underway. The colors for the first run will be black, "Coyote 498" and Olive Drab. It took longer than expected to start the production because it took a while to source the right Coyote at the right price. Apparently there have been several "official" shades of Coyote used by the military; some are known as Coyote Brown, some as tan, and the shades are all over the place from different suppliers. The current milspec color is called Coyote 498; finding Coyote 498 at a good price took some time, but it's done and everything's in the sewing company's hands now (the sewing company is in Indiana, so these will be U.S.-made). The company tells me the retail price will be $99.99. They don't have an availability date yet, but hopefully they'll be ready in time for the Easter Jeep Safari Vendor Expo in 5 weeks.
Awesome! Will there be different sizes or is it adjustable? What's the max size?

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Quick Reply: Custom modular JK hardtop