Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Custom modular JK hardtop

Old 01-06-2017 | 02:01 AM
JK Super Freak

He's got some rectangular LED lights he hasn't mounted yet, so we compared the size of the cubes to the size of these new lights. His lights seem to be unbranded - they have 6 LEDs which the best I can figure probably are 75-100 lumens each, so the total light output is maybe 450-600 lumens. The much smaller single-LED pods have an output of 1000 lumens.

Along with these lights he had gotten a pair of windshield light brackets, so I stuck one on my Jeep and put one of the lights on it. Being pretty small, this bracket is larger than needed to support this light, but it does work well.

Another good location for a backup light:

We gave some thought to how the lights might be mounted on the side rails of the Gobi rack for illuminating a camp site, I'll post on that shortly.
Old 01-06-2017 | 03:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Those lights look fantastic on his Gobi rack, very noninvasive and not overwhelming like most lights out there. BTW I live in NY as well and my conditions don't seem to matching yours, lol.
Old 01-06-2017 | 10:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by d. gage
Those lights look fantastic on his Gobi rack, very noninvasive and not overwhelming like most lights out there. BTW I live in NY as well and my conditions don't seem to matching yours, lol.
What, your part of NY doesn't look like this right now?

Took this photo today, just below the Seven Mile Bridge in the Keys, on the way to Key West. Will begin the trip back to the frigid north tomorrow, after I do some bicycle riding around Key West. Hard to do many miles on my bike at home right now .

Old 01-06-2017 | 10:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Here you go. Welcome Home
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	scaled_image.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	184.7 KB
ID:	664108  
Old 01-06-2017 | 11:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Something to look forward to I suppose
Old 01-06-2017 | 11:58 AM
JK Super Freak

I guess I'll have to switch to this Jeep when I get home.

Old 01-06-2017 | 01:08 PM
JK Junkie

Default do you ever have issues from having a plow

Originally Posted by jscherb
I guess I'll have to switch to this Jeep when I get home.

on your jeep , ive thought about it on mine, but hesitant , if it would beat up a jk
just doing your drive way only. Because its my dd
Old 01-06-2017 | 02:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jeepmojo
do you ever have issues from having a plow on your jeep , ive thought about it on mine, but hesitant , if it would beat up a jk just doing your drive way only. Because its my dd
I've had no issues at all, and this is the sixth year I'll have the plow on the Jeep.

I don't run with it on all winter. I bolt the mounts to the frame in November, and take them off in late March before I drive the Jeep to Easter Jeep Safari (the mounts reduce approach angle). I only put the plow on the mounts when I need to plow, which where I live in a normal winter is 4-5 times per season, although two years ago we had such a hard winter I left the plow on full time. I usually plow three driveways each snowstorm - my two houses and my in-law's house. But I haven't had any issues with it and I wouldn't say there's any signs of stress on the Jeep.
Old 01-06-2017 | 04:47 PM
JK Enthusiast
Veteran: Marine Corp

Originally Posted by d. gage
That is what I loved about these lights getting mounted to the gobi. I am not a light guy and these were small and no where near overwhelming. If/when they may come available I plan to get 4 for the rear of the the Jeep as they are pictured. I loved the way they sat.
Old 01-07-2017 | 02:43 AM
JK Super Freak

When Donnie and I (rubicon91) were trying the lights on his Jeep, we also thought about mounts to allow the lights to mount to the side of his Gobi rack to serve as illumination for camp sites. We tried them in various positions...

There are many different racks and places on them one might want to install camp lights, so designing only one or two custom mounts for racks probably won't serve all the applications. So here's what I'm thinking... there's an industry-standard mount called AMPs (AMPS Pattern Mounts) - it's basically a 30mm x 38mm rectangular bolt pattern, and it's used on all kinds of electronics like GPS's and other gear.

An adapter could be made to allow the light pod to bolt up to the AMPs standard, then there are hundreds of mounts available off the shelf that could be used. For example, here's a mount that attaches to a round tube like the side tubes of the Gobi rack. These could be used, plus a swivel arm which would allow the lights to be positioned exactly as needed for the campsite.

The ball mount on the left is an AMPs-compatible ball that would go on the light pod; the mount on the right is a basic mount that would accept the ball.

There are dozens of other mounts that accept that ball that could be used, here are a few examples. Some of these would work very well on the Gobi, and some would work well on larger bars - I passed a Jeep yesterday that had a rack with what appeared to be made of 2" tubing, some of these would fit that, and the one at the lower right would fit large roll bars and bull bars. In the upper left is a swivel arm, which would connect the light to these mounts, they come in a range of lengths.

There are lots more at RAM (Component search for all components - Page 1), on eBay and other places.

Quick Reply: Custom modular JK hardtop