Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Custom modular JK hardtop

Old 12-18-2016 | 06:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Jfk70
Another thought that I had if you can't find a manufacture for the tops would be to sell plans (how to) and possible even DIY kits. Just manufacture the parts and sell the parts. It might make it less expensive.
Plans and "how to" instructions wouldn't necesarily make building one from scratch possible for the average DIYer - the key to this whole project is making molds that will make parts that actually fit properly. Since there are almost no straight lines on the JK all of the parts have multiple compound curves so making the molds accurately enough so that the final parts fit well is a very advanced project. Over the years I've posted lots of detail on how to make fiberglass parts in threads on several forums, and I am not aware of anyone who's used that info to make their own parts, let alone a complete hardtop.

I suspect selling kits wouldn't be a very good business - someone would have to make almost the same investment to get just the parts into production as they would if they were selling complete hardtops, but kits would sell for less than complete hardtop and there would be fewer people interested in doing the work to assemble a kit than there would be to buy a complete top. Almost the same investment, lower sales price, fewer sales?

Sorry if I'm sounding negative. I'm always willing to talk to any company or individual that's interested in being in business with any of my fiberglass designs, but I personally don't have any interest in being in business to sell anything I design.
Old 12-19-2016 | 11:28 AM
JK Freak

Default Tops

Back in the day when you did the roof on your black Jeep, the Wrangler world was not anywhere close as to what it is today. The majority of the JK people are a sophisticated bunch who would pay $$$$ for the top. Either a fully put together roof, or a do it yourselfer that comes in a flat box! People would buy it! Keep up the good work. Go for it!
Old 12-19-2016 | 01:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by saharaharry
Back in the day when you did the roof on your black Jeep, the Wrangler world was not anywhere close as to what it is today. The majority of the JK people are a sophisticated bunch who would pay $$$$ for the top. Either a fully put together roof, or a do it yourselfer that comes in a flat box! People would buy it! Keep up the good work. Go for it!
It would ship in a flat box, here's a photo of the parts before I finished a few details on them (like installing the Alpine windows in the roof). It would be a pretty big box though, the JKU roof panel is roughly 5' x 8' - too big for UPS. If I made the roof in two pieces the entire hardtop could ship UPS Ground.

I'm have no plans to "go for it" though, turning this into a business would take all the fun out of my hobby and turn it into work
Old 12-19-2016 | 02:41 PM
JK Newbie

That's more along the lines of what Ieas trying to express. Maybe I didn't make myself clear. When I say diy I am simply saying that someone like myself may even be interested in buying just the panels and handling the fitting and window cutting etc myself.
One would have to have the same passion for the project and tools, shop, money and education to build one from scratch.
If you used the molds you currently have and made and sold the parts that are not readily available I think it would be pretty popular.
Also when I say you, I really mean to is if someone. I completely understand about turning the hobby into a business and how it can ruin. I've also heard "Do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life"
Either way I respect your position because I am the same way about many things. I have built websites for Myself and would never do it for anyone else, because making it perfect took passion that someone couldn't pay me enough to do again. Same thing with a book I wrote about 10 years ago. It won five awards, is a best seller, number one in its class on Amazon and I don't have the inspiration to write a second one even though I have had agents and publishers offer me six figures to write two more. So I understand you position completely
Old 12-19-2016 | 02:49 PM
JK Newbie

One other though that had occurred to me is that is I got a set of templates I might even forgo one of the side windows and fabricate my own Rotopax side holder.
Old 12-19-2016 | 03:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Jfk70
One other though that had occurred to me is that is I got a set of templates I might even forgo one of the side windows and fabricate my own Rotopax side holder.
I'm planning to do window compartments, I've done a few quick prototypes already and have a final design ready to implement, I just have to make the time to do it.

I've also done a prototype of "quick release" windows:

I've got lots of ideas for alternatives to the factory windows, including a slider window kit that a company's picked up and should have on the market in the next month or two.
Old 12-19-2016 | 06:04 PM
JK Junkie

Default did your inside rear ammo can holder

ever make it to production ? might be interested in one that will hold 50 cal can
i already bought the side mount jerry can holder you designed . Very happy with that purchase. if so is there a link to it?
Old 12-20-2016 | 03:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jeepmojo
ever make it to production ? might be interested in one that will hold 50 cal can
i already bought the side mount jerry can holder you designed . Very happy with that purchase. if so is there a link to it?
They should have been on the market by now. The company that's doing them was showing them at the SEMA Show last month, they had this flyer at the show announcing new products (I've blurred the company info). The ones you're adking about are the photo at the lower right; they also have a few other ammo can holder options coming out, plus the Storegate tailgate storage compartment/trail table...

I'll check with them and see if I can find out the exact release date, should be very soon.
Old 12-20-2016 | 05:35 AM
JK Super Freak

You mentioned 3 companies interested in manufacturing this Safari Top ; you ruled out 2; does this mean 1 is still in the running ?
Hopes , like Jeeps, are Eternal.
Old 12-20-2016 | 06:00 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jscherb
They should have been on the market by now. The company that's doing them was showing them at the SEMA Show last month, they had this flyer at the show announcing new products (I've blurred the company info). The ones you're adking about are the photo at the lower right; they also have a few other ammo can holder options coming out, plus the Storegate tailgate storage compartment/trail table...

I'll check with them and see if I can find out the exact release date, should be very soon.
ok thanks

Quick Reply: Custom modular JK hardtop