Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Custom modular JK hardtop

Old 01-04-2015 | 08:19 AM
JK Newbie

I own a 2013 2 door, I would buy this in a heart beat and sell my factory hard top. I love the roll up sides and back. Perfect for the summer. Pop the doors and you have a hard top bikini. Absolutely love it. Plus the idea of a integrated roof rack is my big seller, I'm looking at doing some west coast trips.

One question, how to the summer side and rear curtains seal to the existing body?

Love it, I'm sure the big producers will see the value in this. Step up guys get it to market!
Old 01-04-2015 | 03:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Fwalter
I own a 2013 2 door, I would buy this in a heart beat and sell my factory hard top. I love the roll up sides and back. Perfect for the summer. Pop the doors and you have a hard top bikini. Absolutely love it. Plus the idea of a integrated roof rack is my big seller, I'm looking at doing some west coast trips.

One question, how to the summer side and rear curtains seal to the existing body?

Love it, I'm sure the big producers will see the value in this. Step up guys get it to market!
The soft side curtains seal to the tub in exactly the same was as the factory soft top does - a plastic strip in the bottom of the soft panel slips under the soft top retainer rail on the tub. No mods to the tub required, it works exactly in the factory way.
Old 01-04-2015 | 04:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jscherb
The soft side curtains seal to the tub in exactly the same was as the factory soft top does - a plastic strip in the bottom of the soft panel slips under the soft top retainer rail on the tub. No mods to the tub required, it works exactly in the factory way.
I live in Rochester ny! Let me know if you need help fitting one of these on a two door lol. Or how much a One off would be(probably too much for me)
Old 01-05-2015 | 03:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by cormac827
I live in Rochester ny! Let me know if you need help fitting one of these on a two door lol. Or how much a One off would be(probably too much for me)
Thanks, I'll keep you in mind if I decide I need to make a 2dr prototype. At the moment my plans are to make just a JKU prototype; a JKU prototype will prove all the design and engineering issues for both the JKU and the 2dr versions.
Old 01-05-2015 | 05:04 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks, I'll keep you in mind if I decide I need to make a 2dr prototype. At the moment my plans are to make just a JKU prototype; a JKU prototype will prove all the design and engineering issues for both the JKU and the 2dr versions.
Tears, I was going to offer mine up as a guinee pig.
Old 01-05-2015 | 11:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Fwalter
Tears, I was going to offer mine up as a guinee pig.
He's only 90 minutes away. Are you closer?
Old 01-05-2015 | 11:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Awesome! Let me know when you start building prototype would love to visit!
Old 01-09-2015 | 06:50 AM
JK Super Freak

When I made the molds for the JK Safari Cab side panels, I made the window openings the same size as those in the later model factory hardtops. I did this so that any windows that got made for the Safari Cab, for example sliders, could also be adapted to the later model factory hardtops.

For the first set of prototype Safari Cab side panels, I installed something a little more custom than sliders - I did kick-out windows that I had from an old Toyota FJ40 hardtop:

The Toyota windows almost certainly wouldn't be in a production version, most likely a production version would have RV-style sliders or perhaps swing-up windows. I found a source for very affordable sliders in small quantities the other day, as as a test I made up a mockup of the frame in poster board to see how it might fit on the Safari Cab side panel. At left is the panel with the Toyota windows, at right I've overlaid the mockup frame.

I'll probably order a pair of these windows and mold a second set of Safari Cab side panels to test fit them in.
Old 01-19-2015 | 02:39 PM
JK Newbie

I loved the look when I first saw it. I've always had a soft top and almost every year I price out hard tops to try and decide if "this is the year" I get a hard top. A top like this would definitely be a convincing factor because I love the look a lot. Nice work and design!
Old 01-19-2015 | 04:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by mJeep
I loved the look when I first saw it. I've always had a soft top and almost every year I price out hard tops to try and decide if "this is the year" I get a hard top. A top like this would definitely be a convincing factor because I love the look a lot. Nice work and design!
Thank you.

I used to swap my hardtop off and put my soft top on after every winter, but in the four years since I've had the Safari Cab on my LJ, I've never had any desire to put the soft top back on - I just pull the side panels off and and swap the soft sides on for the summers. Usually I swap the full doors for half doors as well.

I'm sure I'll be running my JK Safari Cab the same way.

Quick Reply: Custom modular JK hardtop