Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Custom modular JK hardtop

Old 11-30-2016 | 03:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Since I don't plan to remove the Safari Cab from the JK to try out the skylight Freedom Panels, I've set up the JK2 modular hardtop in the spare room again so I can put the panels in place on the hardtop. I've only modified one panel so far, once that prototype is complete with a temporary plexiglass skylight I can get tempered glass made and convert the other panel. A few photos:

The hardtop also currently has a quick-release removable side window installed.
Old 12-01-2016 | 05:26 AM
JK Super Freak

I see that when you cut the opening, the raised "ridges" are stepped back, giving a flat sealing area for the clear panel. Do you have a pix of how you did that ? Thanks
Old 12-01-2016 | 06:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Four Low
I see that when you cut the opening, the raised "ridges" are stepped back, giving a flat sealing area for the clear panel. Do you have a pix of how you did that ? Thanks
Here's a little closer view of the modified ribs/flat mounting surface. I have been taking step-by-step photos of the entire project for a possible future "how to", if I decide to post the steps elsewhere I'll post a link to them here.

Old 12-01-2016 | 02:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Sneak preview on the openable Freedom Panel skylights... I made a template for the glass out of plywood today so I could get the hardware installed and get the dimensions of the glass finalized. Here are a few photos of the plywood panel installed.

Tomorrow I plan to make and install a tinted plexiglass prototype skylight to replace the plywood, more photos then.

Last edited by jscherb; 12-01-2016 at 02:16 PM.
Old 12-02-2016 | 06:46 AM
JK Super Freak

A plexiglass prototype skylight installed in the Freedom Panel. More photos to come.

Old 12-02-2016 | 07:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Awesome work as always Scherb!
ps- your inbox is full
Old 12-02-2016 | 08:09 AM
JK Super Freak

Some shots in place on a hardtop.

Some inside views:

A closer top view from outside:

A video showing the latch. The latch I've used locks in both the open and closed positions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1C2rWoar3xs
Old 12-05-2016 | 02:34 PM
JK Super Freak

I put the Safari Cab roof rack to work again today, this time to transport a new queen-sized mattress. It's wider than the Cherokee rack bars, so I mounted longer rack bars on the Cherokee rack rails. That's a big part of why I chose the ZJ/XJ rack for the Safari Cab - there are lots of aftermarket options that bolt right up to it.

Old 12-11-2016 | 05:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Several weeks ago I posted about a "Tactical Spare Cover" I designed and sewed:

A company contacted me about it with interest in turning it into a product, so I sent them sewing instructions so they could make up some samples of their own. They sewed some samples in black, and sent me one to test, it arrived yesterday. Their sample is sewn to fit a 33+" tire, so it's slightly loose on my factory 32" spare.

And here's a video with my recovery strap stored inside.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BS8byoqXLY I'm sewing another one for myself in Coyote (tan/spice). I'm waiting for the mailman to deliver webbing in that color so I can finish sewing it.

Old 12-11-2016 | 05:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Awesome job on everything! Thanks for constantly building things for us!

Quick Reply: Custom modular JK hardtop