Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Custom modular JK hardtop

Old 01-02-2015 | 07:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by frisco08
jscherb, is there a way I can reach you directly? I actually work for a fiberglass manufacturer and would love to have a discussion with you. Thanks, Sean!
You can send me an email; click on my user name and you should get a "Send Email" option.
Old 01-02-2015 | 08:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by frisco08
jscherb, is there a way I can reach you directly? I actually work for a fiberglass manufacturer and would love to have a discussion with you. Thanks, Sean!
YES!!! Don't forget about forum discounts!!!
Old 01-02-2015 | 08:37 AM
Former Vendor

I think it is quite cool! It would be awesome if it went into production!
Old 01-02-2015 | 12:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

I would buy that top in a heartbeat
Old 01-02-2015 | 05:37 PM
JK Freak

Subscribed as well and would buy one too.
Old 01-03-2015 | 04:37 AM
JK Super Freak

A JK Safari Cab concept view I haven't posted before.

Old 01-04-2015 | 05:54 AM
JK Super Freak

A few more concept images I haven't posted here before.

Many of the concepts I've drawn have the Safari Cab painted in body color; here's one in "hardtop black".

This one is a JK-8 version of the Safari Cab, with swing-up side panels. Because the Safari Cab has integrated roof-rack support, a Maggiolina roof-top tent mounts right up.

The same one, but the Maggiolina and the swing-up side panels are closed.

Old 01-04-2015 | 06:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jscherb
If you've owned old Toyota FJ40's then maybe you've noticed... for the prototype side panels the kick-out vent windows I've installed came from a 70's FJ40 hardtop... If the JK Safari Cab ever makes it to production, it wouldn't have FJ40 kick-out windows, but I thought for the prototype they'd be a cool feature .

Sell /license this design so I can selfishly get one! Lol. Love the roll up soft windows for summer.'
Old 01-04-2015 | 07:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by cormac827
Sell /license this design so I can selfishly get one! Lol.
I don't know if the design will get licensed for production; two companies have contacted me indicating interest but it's too early to predict where those discussions will end up.

Originally Posted by cormac827
Love the roll up soft windows for summer.
The roll-up sides have worked out great for me on the road and trail. Lots of open-air feeling, but the roof protects you from the sun; also because of the integrated roof-rack support I can still carry a load on the roof. And if inclement weather happens, it's quick to roll the sides down.

I'm thinking about two possible options for the roll-up side curtains on the JKU. In this first drawing, the roll-ups are just behind the rear doors, so the back rear doors work as usual:

But for people with JKUs with half doors, I'm wondering if a longer roll-up would be a good option - more JK8-like. Inconvenient for back seat passengers when the sides are rolled down, but if you're riding on the road or trail and it starts to rain, all you've got to do is roll down the sides, you wouldn't have to mess with rear half door uppers.

It's my impression that very few people with JKUs have half doors, so maybe the latter option doesn't make sense.

Last edited by jscherb; 01-04-2015 at 07:16 AM.
Old 01-04-2015 | 07:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jscherb
I don't know if the design will get licensed for production; two companies have contacted me indicating interest but it's too early to predict where those discussions will end up. The roll-up sides have worked out great for me on the road and trail. Lots of open-air feeling, but the roof protects you from the sun; also because of the integrated roof-rack support I can still carry a load on the roof. And if inclement weather happens, it's quick to roll the sides down. I'm thinking about two possible options for the roll-up side curtains on the JKU. In this first drawing, the roll-ups are just behind the rear doors, so the back rear doors work as usual: But for people with JKUs with half doors, I'm wondering if a longer roll-up would be a good option - more JK8-like. Inconvenient for back seat passengers when the sides are rolled down, but if you're riding on the road or trail and it starts to rain, all you've got to do is roll down the sides, you wouldn't have to mess with rear half door uppers. It's my impression that very few people with JKUs have half doors, so maybe the latter option doesn't make sense.

Aesthetically, I think the one with longer roll up windows and half doors looks a bunch better.

Like u said though- I bet only -5-10% of jks have half doors(if that).

The other issue is the passengers in rear would have harder time opening windows.

I have a two door, so not worried about rear passengers much!

Quick Reply: Custom modular JK hardtop