Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Custom Bumper Anyone?

Old 05-21-2010, 10:48 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally, I would agree with Dan. Unless you are making something really simple this is pretty much a waste of time. I'm an Auto Body Tech with my own MIG welder and I have a good idea how long it would take to make a bumper similar to the one he designed. Welding it together would be quick and fun, its just the fabricating of all those facets out of steel plate plus cutting up all that square tubing and getting all the angles right would be very time consuming. I'm still considering making my own bumpers but they will be very simple if I decide to do it. Don't let that stop you though if you want something really custom.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:07 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dream crushers!!!

I completly understand. And i will probably end up buying a bumper online from someone who makes them for a living.

I've been watching american choppers on tv alot, and not only was i inspired, but those guys make fabrication look easy....guess i got a little ahead of myself.

Tools arent cheep, but they are sometimes easier to justify to my wife than bumpers if that makes sense. "come on baby, if i get this welder, i can save money on the bumper i want, and i'll have a welder to do OTHER projects on"

Paint isnt a problem, i work with a guy who paints cars on the side and only charges me for the paint he uses.

All that being said, i work for an architect, so designing things without building or paying for them is something i do every day, so i guess thats why i had no problem sketching up a bumper with lots of angles.

How much do you think a fabricator would charge to make such a thing?
Old 05-22-2010, 12:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by VICECIV
I completly understand. And i will probably end up buying a bumper online from someone who makes them for a living.

I've been watching american choppers on tv alot, and not only was i inspired, but those guys make fabrication look easy....guess i got a little ahead of myself.

Tools arent cheep, but they are sometimes easier to justify to my wife than bumpers if that makes sense. "come on baby, if i get this welder, i can save money on the bumper i want, and i'll have a welder to do OTHER projects on"

Paint isnt a problem, i work with a guy who paints cars on the side and only charges me for the paint he uses.

All that being said, i work for an architect, so designing things without building or paying for them is something i do every day, so i guess thats why i had no problem sketching up a bumper with lots of angles.

How much do you think a fabricator would charge to make such a thing?
Theyd charge you quite a bit just for labor and then like everyone has mentioned, materials costs a decent amount and obviously you can tack that onto the price. Average labor cost around my area is 100/hr for a good fabricating shop, im sure you can find cheaper but you get what you pay for. If your going to pay someone to make one, buy a welder and make it yourself, the amount for labor will far exceed the welder I can almost guarantee it.

NOW, to NOT be a dream crusher, I am currently building my own rear bumper and tire carrier, and it is relatively complicated as well. 11 different cut out pieces of steel for each corner and 9 for the center, totaling up to 31 pieces cut out just for the bumper. Add in the swing away carried, safari basket, and jerry can holders, Im looking at a HUGE project here, all done with a grinder with cut out wheels, it takes hoouurrsss. Will it be cheaper in the end? Depends how you look at it. In materials, ive estimated it to be about 300 total in the end with the deal I got on the steel. If I were to buy the bumper, swing away, and attatchments its designed after, after tax itd come out to just over $2000. So yeah, Im saving ~$1700, but then again, Ive already got about 30 hours put into it between making the wood stencils for the mock up an then finally getting down to cutting out the steel parts. I figure by the time im done Ill have about a hundred hours into it, yes, I know, thats a lot. Multiply that by what I make an hours after taxes which is 13 (yeah, im 19, I dont make a whole lot yet ) and thats about $1300 I could make if I just went to work instead, leaving about a $500 difference.

Now the short and sweet. yes, I could go to work for the same amount of hours and just buy an aftermarket one, but;

1) It wont be EXACTLY what I want

2) Id rather be working on my jeep than be working as a server at my restaurant

3) There is a MAJOR sense of pride in making your own stuff, cause it will be the only one that exists, and I can guarantee you will have people wanting your design once it is finished just because it is unique and fresh and nobody has it, Ive already had people asking if I plan to make extras of my bumper design.

4)That extra $500 difference that woulve been put toward the aftermarket bumper just bought me a sweet Lincoln Mig welder that is handling 1/4" steel like it is nothing. Yeah, its pretty amazing

SO, on that note, take from this what you will, and if you choose to build it, good luck, happy fabbing, and post some pictures
Old 05-22-2010, 12:31 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Woah, your 19? Big kudo's on doing this. Most would be spending any extra time they have partying. Hat's off to you sir.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

I will put in my 2 cents. I built my rear bumper and I am currently building a front bumper. I have spent a good bit of money and time but I am proud of the fact that the bumper is one of a kind and I built it. Im sure if you added the dollars together I would have saved very little cash wise but I would do it again.
I say go for it.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by mkjeep
Woah, your 19? Big kudo's on doing this. Most would be spending any extra time they have partying. Hat's off to you sir.
Haha thanks Yeah I spend most of my time in college and working to make my jeep payments and other builds, rest of my time goes to working on my jeep, designing tattoos, and just hanging out with friends. Yeah, I party, but not too often, I choose to be a bit more productive, haha
Old 05-22-2010, 09:45 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by So_Cal_Tay_12
Haha thanks Yeah I spend most of my time in college and working to make my jeep payments and other builds, rest of my time goes to working on my jeep, designing tattoos, and just hanging out with friends. Yeah, I party, but not too often, I choose to be a bit more productive, haha
Productive? College Kids? Ha! I doubt it.

We are a rare breed aren't we?
Old 05-22-2010, 09:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Yamaha90
Productive? College Kids? Ha! I doubt it.

We are a rare breed aren't we?
I think we just get a bad wrap, but hey, I work my but off to be riding in a sweet jeep

I started working when I was 15, literally I got the job on my 15th birthday. Saved for two and a half years for the 10 grand for my down payment
Old 05-24-2010, 12:57 PM
JK Freak

that's awsome! It's not only the money spent it's the experience of building something from scratch. I'm starting to plan my rear bumper and I see that it will take time, hard work, and alittle coin. Go for it and you won't regret the many lessons you'll learn, I know I don't
Old 05-24-2010, 04:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Northernmedic
that's awsome! It's not only the money spent it's the experience of building something from scratch. I'm starting to plan my rear bumper and I see that it will take time, hard work, and alittle coin. Go for it and you won't regret the many lessons you'll learn, I know I don't
So true, cause once you build your own stuff, you understand it inside and out, and you can fix it on your own with no problem. Not to mention the satisfaction is insane

Quick Reply: Custom Bumper Anyone?