Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Custom Bumper Anyone?

Old 05-20-2010, 06:40 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom Bumper Anyone?

Im a draftsman and tinker a bit with 3d and was wondering if this bumper looks buildable / durable.

I've been looking into bumpers, and have two reasons for trying to design my own.

1) Nothing that i see is EXACTLY what i want, and

2) They are all EXPENSIVE, lol

i used square tubing for the stinger because i plan to build this in the future, and i dont have a pipe bender, and i like the angles. They work well with the geometry of the "end caps" if you know what im saying.

Im just lookin for someone who fabricates, or just someone with a little knowlege to look at this concept and tell me what they think.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2..jpg
Views:	352
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	68831   Click image for larger version

Name:	3..jpg
Views:	300
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	68832   Click image for larger version

Name:	1..jpg
Views:	305
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	68833  
Old 05-20-2010, 06:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

I like it. It looks like you took some ideas from a Lod and a rugged ridge. Both of which I like. I was thinking of doing the same but I talked myself out of it for now.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:04 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VICECIV
Im a draftsman and tinker a bit with 3d and was wondering if this bumper looks buildable / durable.

I've been looking into bumpers, and have two reasons for trying to design my own.

1) Nothing that i see is EXACTLY what i want, and

2) They are all EXPENSIVE, lol

i used square tubing for the stinger because i plan to build this in the future, and i dont have a pipe bender, and i like the angles. They work well with the geometry of the "end caps" if you know what im saying.

Im just lookin for someone who fabricates, or just someone with a little knowlege to look at this concept and tell me what they think.

Thanks
I like angular stuff so I think its cool. I tell what though with all those seperate facets you are gonna have to fab each one hand by cutting them out with a pneumatic cut-off wheel or a really good jigsaw or sawzall. This is gonna take a good deal of time so be prepared. Then go buy a Lincoln MIG welder like an SP-140T or C, tack weld it all together, put it on the JEEP, take a look how it fits and looks, take it off then weld the whole thing up and spray paint with Hammerite and call it good. Good luck.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:22 PM
JK Newbie

I definately borrowed some ideas. Took a few elements from all the bumpers I like.

I was also looking for some dimensions on the bumper. What type / size bracket I'll need, their spacing, etc. ( I don't have my jeep YET, but I would like to have some of my ideas finalized by that point so I can hit it hard when I get it.

So if anyone knows of a thread / site that gives specs, dimensions, etc, that would be most appreciated.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:52 AM
JK Newbie

should be a fun project!
Old 05-21-2010, 03:31 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by subdude732
should be a fun project!

i hope so. at this rate, i'll have the bumper before the jeep...lol
Old 05-21-2010, 06:06 PM
JK Newbie

Just my thoughts....

I own a welding shop. I BOUGHT my front and rear bumpers. Sometimes, the time spent and the material used on a project like this add up to way more than the money to just go out and get what you want.

Look, think about lay-out, welding time, grinding time, marking the holes and drilling. Just the time to cut out and weld out for the fog lights will time consuming. And, towards the end, you will need help just moving it around and mounting it.

Then when it's all done, go out and have it powdercoated. No thanks.

Find what you want and buy it, or if you really enjoy doing this kind of work then go for it. Me, I want to get paid to fabricate.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:13 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Dang It Dan
Just my thoughts....

I own a welding shop. I BOUGHT my front and rear bumpers. Sometimes, the time spent and the material used on a project like this add up to way more than the money to just go out and get what you want.

Look, think about lay-out, welding time, grinding time, marking the holes and drilling. Just the time to cut out and weld out for the fog lights will time consuming. And, towards the end, you will need help just moving it around and mounting it.

Then when it's all done, go out and have it powdercoated. No thanks.

Find what you want and buy it, or if you really enjoy doing this kind of work then go for it. Me, I want to get paid to fabricate.
Disagree on some levels. Built both my bumpers for much cheaper then I would have paid. If you use the scrap bin at your local metal shop you can some some stuff CHEAP I also enjoyed working on it and learned a ton.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:38 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Kupost
Disagree on some levels. Built both my bumpers for much cheaper then I would have paid. If you use the scrap bin at your local metal shop you can some some stuff CHEAP I also enjoyed working on it and learned a ton.
Don't get me wrong here, if you really like working with metal and have a bunch of free time, then this would be great. I built all the bumpers for the prior six CJ's that I owned, but to make it look really clean and neat, you need the right equipment which will also cost money. Looking at what I bought, I would have had at least 10 hours into it. Not including material and powder coat, the welding rod (wire) and gas, grinder and discs and finishing wheel, and the wench rollers etc. just doesn't make it right for me. As always, your mileage may vary.

Respectfully;

Dang It
Old 05-21-2010, 07:57 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Dang It Dan
Don't get me wrong here, if you really like working with metal and have a bunch of free time, then this would be great. I built all the bumpers for the prior six CJ's that I owned, but to make it look really clean and neat, you need the right equipment which will also cost money. Looking at what I bought, I would have had at least 10 hours into it. Not including material and powder coat, the welding rod (wire) and gas, grinder and discs and finishing wheel, and the wench rollers etc. just doesn't make it right for me. As always, your mileage may vary.

Respectfully;

Dang It
Great point. You build it yourself it has to be a love affair. I thought it was worth it but as he says mileage will vary.

Quick Reply: Custom Bumper Anyone?