Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

cummins diesel

Old 02-10-2009, 10:42 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hotnready
Anyone working on putting the new cummins turbo inline 6 in to the jk. This is the motor to have...Would love any info if there is any so far.

I would stick with the trusty 5.9L HO inline CTD vs the 6.7L inline CTD any day! 6.7L has too many emissions sensors and cat boxes which is a big pain in the rear end if you want powerchips and modules. Also, the 6.7L gets freakin horrible gas mileage vs a 5.9L CTD.

People thought the front rake was bad enough with the stock 3.8L V6........add in the +1200lb 5.9L CTD and the twisting of the frame with the add HP if you go nuts on stackable chips you can see over +800HP and +1000 lb/ft of torque easily!!!! But I would try slamming a 5.9L CTD in a JK if I had some serious $$$$.

Last edited by RevyJKU08; 02-10-2009 at 12:23 PM.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by keithro
No reason to put a 6BT in, you can get more than enough power out of a 4bt. Better gas mileage, amazing amounts of low end torque. I really don't understand why there is so much hemi hype and not more cummins talk....I know there are some emissions laws that some people have to live with that might favor a hemi, but if you don't have those restrictions go with cummins and instead of getting 10 mpg out of the hemi get 25 from the cummins. Then you can always do a dual fuel setup and run vegi oil too :-)

The axles will handle the extra 350 pounds of weight no problem, but you will probably need some stiffer springs.
Have you invstigated this to any extent? I wonder what a used 4BT costs? Apparently there are a lot of aftermarket hot rod mods available for the 4BT. I posted on another thread that I found a forum dedicated to 4BT swaps http://www.4btswaps.com./forum/index.php .

This really could be the conversion - power and fuel economy.
Old 02-11-2009, 05:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

5.9L would not fit without MAJOR modification to the front clip and firewall. It barely fits in my Ram...
Old 02-11-2009, 10:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 08RUBIJK
5.9L would not fit without MAJOR modification to the front clip and firewall. It barely fits in my Ram...
I just read that a 4BT is just a 4 cyl version of the Cummins 5.9 and that all the 5.9 mods work on the 4BT. That seems preety cool given what has been done to the 5.9.

There was a thread on the 4BT swap forum about the cost and it seems to be doable for 5000. One guy claimed about 3500 and the consensus seems to be 7000-10000. It depends on what you pay for the bread truck, which tranny you go with, how good a scrounger you are, and how much fab work you can do yourself.

Going with the 4BT seems to be the way to go as compared to the Jeep diesel. It has a lot more potential for making more torque. I am reading that the 4BT is very receptive to mods and that it is easy to take it to 300 hp and 500ft/# of torque. If gearing is set up such that you cruise at 1800 rpm milage in the mid to high 20's is apparently doable. I'm thinking that with that kind of mileage, an 8-10k cost and that kind of torque this would be afar better way to go than any Hemi.

Last edited by chuck45; 02-13-2009 at 10:38 PM.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

anyone know where i can get one of those????(inline 6 cummins)
Old 02-20-2009, 12:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JEEPSHANE
anyone know where i can get one of those????(inline 6 cummins)
To do what with? It barely fits in a Dodge PU and you're going to try to shoe-horn it into a Wrangler? The shorter 4 cyl 4BT should fit. It'd lighter too and all the 6BT performance mods work on it. As to where......well you can buy one new (expensive) or buy a wrecked or used "bread truck" with one in it.
Old 02-20-2009, 04:14 PM
JK Freak

I agree with the 5.9 HO
I have it in my 05 dodge and chipped and injectors have her at about
525 horse.
But it is big and heavy. You're lookin at alot of money to pry that in
a JK.
Now enough money can make anything happen and you would have a jeep
that would fall apart long before you ever needed to swap that motor or rebuild it.
I bet screamin lizard could do it!!!!

Quick Reply: cummins diesel