Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Crunch

Old 03-03-2008, 01:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crunch

So I went wheeling on Saturday with my Jeep club for a trail builder day. Day started out cold and the ground was frozen and kind of slick (but it was manageable). After lunch the temps started to rise quickly and the ground was thawing fast. What was hard and slick was now sloppy and very slick. I attacked a hill but lost momentum about half way up. It was pretty steep and in hindsight I should have let them winch me up. My ego wouldn't let me consider that and away I went. Heres the result.

When I lost momentum I clutched it and before I could get on the brakes I was in this tree. The whole thing is on video and I hope to have a copy of it soon to post for your enjoyment.

The thing that upsets me the most is how crappy the stock bumpers are. The thing just flexed in and let the tail light/body tub stop me. I also would have expected the body to deflect less but who knows. I've read on here that the body tubs aren't as stout as those on a TJ. Body shop estimate for metalwork and paintwork only was $1095. That doesn't include tail light and license plate bracket and also doesn't include blending paint to the tailgate (getting AEV corners so theres no need for the blend).

Be careful out there,
Ty
Old 03-03-2008, 01:42 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice job.....
Old 03-03-2008, 01:46 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx
let me throw some of my .02 advice your way.

i also SMASHED my corners on my previous rig.

rather than have the body shop put all that $ and time into it, why not buy a nice set of corners, have the shop paint them to match, then install them over the damage, and maybe add some flush Led lights.

Then move your LP to the spare or somehwere cool, use some litebolts and ditch the stock bracket.

it'll be cheaper, look better, it'll be beef and you'll never have to worry about smashing a corner ever again.

just my .02. why put it back to stock, where there will be putty in it anyway, just upgrade.

My thoughts exactly, the having it painted to match the body color is a great idea. I'f i ever smash my corners thats the route i would definately take.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

The pics don't show it very well but the quarter panel is also bent up pretty bad. Corners aren't going to fit (or fit right at least) without getting the body work done. I was eying the AEV corners since before I even bought the Jeep but wasn't completely sure I wanted something that I had to drill into the body for. I'm well past that now and think I'm going to get the Purejeep sliders that are body mounted as well instead of Shrockworks.

As far as the license plate mount I am giving strong consideration to something that mounts on the spare. I just need to find something that I like and that wont get me a ticket.

Ty

Last edited by TSmith0820; 03-03-2008 at 01:59 PM.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by putnam dan
Hey my lens looks the same as yours well I fixed it now with AEV corners and a new light - I wish there was an LED light that would fit the stock opening (recessed) rather than sticking out so far.

Its just begging to get knocked off as it is
I think they will be on the way sometime in the future. I like the litedots but I'm not sure how to make them work with the rounded corners of the JK. I'm sure this wont be the last tail light I replace. I just hope I don't have any more body damage soon. I've got a wedding to pay for!

Ty
Old 03-03-2008, 02:01 PM
JK Super Freak

get a decent bumper

this is why the stock JK bumpers are completely useless

most aftermarket bumpers will protect the corner by hitting the bumper first, so the corner shouldnt evne touch the tree
Old 03-03-2008, 02:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeepik
get a decent bumper

this is why the stock JK bumpers are completely useless

most aftermarket bumpers will protect the corner by hitting the bumper first, so the corner shouldnt evne touch the tree
You couldn't be more correct. Both of my stock bumpers are damaged now. Junk!

As far as the corners, I know I could just pound them out but I'd really rather just have them fixed right. Even if I couldn't see the damage I would know its there and it would bother me.

Ty
Old 03-03-2008, 06:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sorry for your mis-hap
Old 03-03-2008, 06:45 PM
JK Super Freak

The real question is, why did you "Cluth-it"? You should have let it stall out, then try to start ut again. Then you should have let them winch you over. The common mistake I always see with newbies wheeling, is clutch use and brake use on hills. It;s amazing when iteach them to let it stall out, so you can maintain control. Through the clutch is playing roulette with gravity, and usually you loose, i.e. your damage. Sorry it happened, expensive lesson learned. I woudl go the corner guard route myslef, even if you have to have the body adjusted, then just primed, Then have the painted corners installed. Your choice, your jeep.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

I really like the look of the black guards against the red rock paint the best. The AEV site has them displayed on a Flame Red JK and I think they look sharp. Plus I can pull em off and touch up black a lot easier.

As far as the wheeling goes... I'm slowly learning. I had the land owner riding with me and was worried about too much wheel spin tearing up the trail and upsetting him. Leting it stall out actually didn't cross my mind. One more thing to try next time I get in a bad situation.

Ty

Quick Reply: Crunch