Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Cross your fingers for my JK...

Old 03-23-2010, 07:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cross your fingers for my JK...

Well, this is how I started my morning:

I made it 3 miles from home and oil like dings. Luckily I was at a good spot to pull into the grocery store, find the first spot, and shut it down. I get out and pop the hood and there is oil everywhere. Look under the jeep, oil everywhere.

I think I may have had a bad oil filter seal because I just changed the oil last night. Maybe the old oil filter gasket stuck to the block and I torqued the new one down on top of it? However, it's a little odd because after changing it I started it up and ran it for 3+ minutes and it wasn't leaking or anything.

So, maybe once the engine was under some load/acceleration the seal couldn't hold, but was fine at idle? Otherwise, something catastrophic must have happened, because oil was everywhere from radiator fan, to front of block, sides of block, oil pan, all the way to the rear tires. Cross your fingers it's something simple like the filter not being seated correctly! And cross your fingers I didn't mess anything up after it was so low on oil... I only drove maybe 100 yards after the light first dinged, so I think I should be OK?
Old 03-23-2010, 08:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sucks. Hopefully it is nothing major.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Ah, man! Bad way to start the day. Being that you changed oil last night, I bet that you are correct in thinking that you left the old oil filter seal on and put the new filter over it. Easy fix, just sorry ya had to call a wrecker!
Old 03-23-2010, 08:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

That does suck. Better safe than sorry on the wrecker. My guess is the oil filter is the problem.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by redrockin7

I torqued the new one down on top of it?
Hopefully that was just a figure of speech.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:14 AM
JK Junkie

You did put the oil cap back on the motor, right?
Old 03-23-2010, 10:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by daggo66
Hopefully that was just a figure of speech.
Yeah, torque not the right word. I tightened it down until it was snug, but always try not to overtighten. Once snug, I give it maybe one more quarter turn or so...
Old 03-23-2010, 10:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Well, assuming I did no damage to the motor once the pressure dropped (like I said only drove maybe 100 yards after the first oil ding), I think my inkling was correct. I checked the old filter when I got home and low and behold:

It's gasketless.

So, that means I put the new filter ontop of the old gasket. No wonder it was spitting out (probably between the two gaskets?). I wonder why it did nothing while I ran it for 3-5 minutes last night after the change? I supposed not enough pressure at idle. I've heard of this happening before and should be more careful, but I just did not see it on there; garage is somewhat dimly lit, will need to resolve that.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

had this happen before with a bosche or whatever oil filter....scared me too
Old 03-23-2010, 12:49 PM
JK Super Freak

I've had several people console me today by saying they have done the same thing. Makes you feel like a real idiot though!

Quick Reply: Cross your fingers for my JK...