Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Crash's Carnage- The Death of the Tonka?

Old 12-03-2009, 06:12 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AlmightyCrash
I agree it was unprofessional and irresponsible to leave it out there....
But I don't see what good it is going to do to get angry and make a big scene if I don't even know what damage it caused. I'm not going to ask for a bunch of free stuff just because a jeep got wet.

In regards to claiming this incident on my insurance, I'm afraid that isn't an option. Though I'm sure I would be covered for the negligence of the dealership, the only things we know need to be fixed were damaged prior to the rain.
However, last month I had to choose between insurance and groceries for my family...and since the jeep wasn't running anyway, and my family comes first, I unfortunately had to let my insurance lapse. The kids are on WIC now, so that helps a little with food for them, and we have an appt next week to get them set up with food stamps.
Again, I'm not asking for anything, just being thorough in my explanations. I do not lie or exaggerate about anything. I think it's ridiculous that I get verbally flogged on here for helping people understand my situation. I have never asked for money or pity. Things are just tough right now, as they are for many.

I go to talk to the service manager in an hour or so.
I'll let you guys know what's up.
Crash,
You don't need insurance for there mistake.
The Jeep was on there Lot and is there for covered under their insurance. When you hand them your keys your JK is covered under the Dealers Insurance. Get mad but ask for the Service Mgrs Boss and get him involved.

Best to you my friend, let me know if I can help,
Sean at SLC
Old 12-03-2009, 06:13 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to say I am with you on taking responsibility for your own actions Crash, and I applaud you for not wanting to try and take the dealership for "anything free". In this rare case I am going to have to disagree with you though. I understand certain issues were already documented, but from here on out everything should be under warranty and on the dealers dime. Not because your a douche, but basicly because the dealer forgot to cover their own ass (aka tonka). From here on out you will never truly know if damage, expecially water damage, was from you or from their negligance. Even those issues already documented can be made worst now. I have to agree with the others here, your a stand-up guy, but they just bought all your repairs by their actions and should pay for them warranty or not. Its not about being a douche, or being honest, its about responsibility and better buisness practices. You manned up to your part and what you did, its time for them to do the same.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Don't know you...

Tonka, I don't know you personally and I'm sure this was covered somewhere else, but I was just wondering, is this Jeep your daily driver/primary vehicle?
Old 12-03-2009, 07:35 AM
JK Junkie

Here's what the estimate says:

replace and program WCM (need all keys)
replace shifter assembly
replace clockspring

80.84 shifter assembly
69.02 WCM
239.70 clockspring

labor 691.00
parts 390.00
tax 32.00

1113.00 total repair costs.

They still show no remorse or regret for leaving the Jeep outside. (I know, I know)

I have cleaned the entire console area, oiled all of the gearing areas, and it's fine. Plus, I made $1.40 in change that was under the console.

a note on the clockspring...
They have been saying they were going to replace it for months...under warranty.
Then they suddenly found dust and moisture and changed their tune.

A lot of you may disagree, but I'm considering scraping the $$ together and just paying for the WCM, instead of waiting to see if they will cover it.

This is all very frustrating.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:00 AM
JK Junkie

Do all the labour yourself Crash, just buy what you can when you can and it will all come together.
Definatly start with the WCm and go from there

Damn those clocksprings are damn expensive!!
Old 12-03-2009, 08:17 AM
JK Freak

You would think they would use a digital clock so they wouldn't need a spring

My guess is the WCM is going to fall into "flood damage" and you will just need to pony up for it.

If there were discussions on the clock spring (and isn't there a notice about that somewhere) then you may have a point on that one.

I would also work up an "invoice" showing how much time you spent re-drying the jeep due to them leaving it outside. I would doubt that there would be any additional components damaged by clean rainwater, but the time spent drying/cleaning the interior because they did not take reasonable efforts to protect it from the weather would be legitimate damages. I certainly would expect a dealer to clean & dry the interior of my car or jeep if they left it out in the weather.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:20 AM
JK Freak

Crash, how hard would it be to do the work yourself? It's apparent that the warranty is already voided, so what difference will it make if you do versus the dealership doing it?
Old 12-03-2009, 08:38 AM
JK Jedi

If I were you I would buy the WCM and go from there. It sounds like it would at least make your jeep drivable again. Maybe the clockspring needs to be replaced, but it is not gonna keep you from starting your Jeep up. That will make you feel better when you here it crank and it will be good for the Jeep to run a bit. I would call a couple dealers and see what you can get price wise on that stuff. They have a set cost they pay for the parts but they do not have a set price they have to sell them to you for.

If I were in your shoes I would talk to the service manager about leaving it in the rain with the components open to the elements. I would tell him that you indeed already had problems, but who knows what others could happen now. I would tell him that a fair expectation would be that they sell you the components at their cost. That will cost them nothing and save you quite a bit. Then I would install the components yourself. You may have to pay a hour labor to get it hit with a starscan for the new WCM (I dunno if you do or not) but it won't be $700 labor.

If they refuse to sell you the components at cost I would remind them that you are a local business owner with a very large family and know a large portion of the auto-buying age group of your area. I would ask them if they would leave the top down on a new challenger out in the rain or the windows rolled down in a new truck in a storm? I would tell them that if they were not willing to assist you that you will tell every person in town you can get to listen about how they left your leave torn apart uncovered out in the rain.

Then I would ask for the owner of the dealership. Make an appointment if you have to. Then tell him why you are about to tell everyone in town about how poorly they take care of customers vehicles. That is not how you take care of customers, especially in economic times like this. I think you asking for the parts at cost is fair to everyone. It costs them nothing and saves you lots.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:46 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by hayden911
I was just wondering, is this Jeep your daily driver/primary vehicle?
yes, it is.

For the rest, I'll respond when I get to a computer. It'll just be easier.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:10 AM
JK Freak

I'll scavenge the junk yards around my parts and see if I can come up with anything off your parts list....

Quick Reply: Crash's Carnage- The Death of the Tonka?