Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

this could happen to you

Old 03-07-2013, 09:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default this could happen to you

So here's the story.. I wheel my jeep fairly hard but not extreme.. and I go out often to an area close by called the Rio Puerco, which gives you mild to wild,,,,
been to moab twice nothing really hard.. and a lot of trips to Colorado and a few trips to Arizona.. which are all on the easy to moderate ratings... more of the scenic trails then difficult....
But then there's rock crawling.... which I would say is a totally different animal. other then some rock stuff here and there on the normal trials I have done three trails that are constant rock crawling, two times on a trail north of Albuquerque (just outside of Santa Fe) called Tank trap, (now closed) which I did twice early and middle of last year, and once to a trail south of Albuquerque called Gordy's Hill.
these trail had a lot of rocks and where rated as difficult with a minimum (or ideal min) requirements of I would say 33's and 2" lift with skid plates. Good driving and spotting would be required with anything less.... IMO
So after Gordy's Hill driving back on I-25 I hear a squeaking sound which goes away after maybe 10-15 miles.... at least so I thought.. it returns only when breaking and turning towards the left..... I can not say I know when this happened... other then it appeared after Gordy's Hill, (and we didn't even do the so called hard stuff,, 34-35's needed)
anyone want to guess?
here's is the video of my problem.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TiYMpDUuAk It's being covered under warranty... I think I got lucky...

Last edited by JK-jeepit; 03-07-2013 at 09:41 PM.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:43 PM
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bent flange its common or more common with guys that wheel....I don't bend em I break em lol

One of the more overlooked things here is rear axles.....

I went ten factory chromoly they have a 10 year warranty for breakage and bent flanges..

Here's my recent breakage now I'm on chromoly shafts

Last edited by BRUT4CE; 03-07-2013 at 09:48 PM.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dhpinned
Bent flange its common or more common with guys that wheel....I don't bend em I break em lol

One of the more overlooked things on this site in particular being there's a lot of building and less beating going on is the rear axles..

I went ten factory chromoly they have a 10 year warranty for breakage and bent flanges..
I would agree it seems to be one of those items that is over looked on needing to upgrade,, at least for me... after warranty repair is done I'm thinking of upgrading to the chromoly and saving the OEM as spares...
Old 03-07-2013, 09:53 PM
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JK-jeepit
I would agree it seems to be one of those items that is over looked on needing to upgrade,, at least for me... after warranty repair is done I'm thinking of upgrading to the chromoly and saving the OEM as spares...
That right there is one of the best ideas.....

Super easy to swap even if the splines are stuck in the rear carrier mine were stuck in the Detroit locker I pulled it all out and smacked it out, reinstalled and put axles back in...doesn't take long at all and if you wheel I'd do the job yourself 1 time so if it happens you'll be familiar with it....

Quick Reply: this could happen to you