Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Conversion for JK 2 WD to 4WD?

Old 01-26-2010, 12:54 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Conversion for JK 2 WD to 4WD?

I have a 2007 JK X, 2 wheel drive. Wanting to convert to 4 wheel drive. My understanding is everything underneath is already sized and cut to accomodate 4 wheel drive. However, is it worh the money or better off getting a new 2010......I like my current cheap payments........
Old 01-26-2010, 12:59 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is so much that goes into converting that I doubt it would be worth it. You would need a new fron axle, transfer case, front driveshaft, and reprogramming the computer and possible wiring harness modifications to get the computer to recognize and adjust to the 4wd settings.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:03 PM
JK Freak

not to mention a mods to the interior too... trade it in!
Old 01-26-2010, 01:23 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by dhayes
I have a 2007 JK X, 2 wheel drive. Wanting to convert to 4 wheel drive. My understanding is everything underneath is already sized and cut to accomodate 4 wheel drive. However, is it worh the money or better off getting a new 2010......I like my current cheap payments........
Originally Posted by Littlejon
There is so much that goes into converting that I doubt it would be worth it. You would need a new fron axle, transfer case, front driveshaft, and reprogramming the computer and possible wiring harness modifications to get the computer to recognize and adjust to the 4wd settings.
I didnt think about the BAS,

If it were me, i would start pricing out axle, t-case, and driveshaft, shifters..

If you dont care about the computers, I bet it would be cheaper than trading up
Old 01-26-2010, 01:36 PM
JK Super Freak

It is possible to do a conversion on a limited budget. You would have to scout around for parts (could probably get most used with low miles) for a while and purchase as money allows. I would bet that going this route would be more cost effective than trading up.

Other things you will need:
cross member tranny mount
4WD tailshaft (shorter than 2wd)
adapter to go between the t-case and the tranny

I don't think you have to do any programming for this conversion to work properly. I am sure the ORE guys would know, they did a conversion from 2wd to 4wd that was feature in Petersons (or one of the other mags - was a while back).

Last edited by RDY4RKS; 01-26-2010 at 01:41 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Could probably make a sick set up for same cost as buying stock parts. Just go with all the heavy duty stuff, used. Seems as though everyone who wheels upgrades anyway. Probably better just to by a 2wd and build one like this guy's doing.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

there are some places and ppl selling 4x4 trannys from hemi swaps.
also, try contacting burnsville OR and ask if they have all the parts you need. bet they do and will be willing to sell them pretty cheap.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Try the search I think someone on here has done it
Old 01-26-2010, 06:16 PM
JK Junkie

Make it into a hemi powered 2wd mud drag Jeep.

My friend in NC has a 'yota with 38" boggers in the back and 37" BFG MT in the front. That dude can go anywhere most of his friends with 4x4 can't go. I followed him in a '94 Jimmy with a 5" lift, camo paint, and 33" TSLs. He completely sprayed me with mud and ended up being the tow rig.

So I vote go that path instead of making it full 4x4. True, you might need more aggressive meats in the rear but it makes up for the front wheels.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dhayes
......I like my current cheap payments........
You may have cheap payments but a big credit card bill from the parts.

Quick Reply: Conversion for JK 2 WD to 4WD?