Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Constructed an "instatrunk"

Old 11-27-2011, 04:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good. Great work
Old 11-27-2011, 04:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sallenr
Had to secure my subwoofers an make sure they couldn't be stolen!

What material did you make it out of, what did you paint it with, and that Jeep logo is out of sight
Can you post a close up of the mounting hardware?
Old 11-28-2011, 09:31 AM
JK Newbie

It was actually really simple to make. While its almost impossible to theft-proof a soft top, unless someone climbs in, and pulls the seat back, it's safe. I used a shelf that measures about 63 inches across. And has different notches and widths due to the tailgate and roll bars. I covered it with felt and staple gunned it to the bottom of the shelving unit. I added a support beam underneath the shelf directly in the center to keep it from bending. If you have a table saw or a jig saw, you can construct it easily.
The three bolts shown in the picture simply go into the holes that the hardtop would be bolted into.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-67585246.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	242913   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-454517330.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	242914  
Old 11-28-2011, 10:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Sallenr
It was actually really simple to make. While its almost impossible to theft-proof a soft top, unless someone climbs in, and pulls the seat back, it's safe. I used a shelf that measures about 63 inches across. And has different notches and widths due to the tailgate and roll bars. I covered it with felt and staple gunned it to the bottom of the shelving unit. I added a support beam underneath the shelf directly in the center to keep it from bending. If you have a table saw or a jig saw, you can construct it easily.
The three bolts shown in the picture simply go into the holes that the hardtop would be bolted into.
The close up picture helped, thanks. I'm going to cut one out this weekend, will probably spray it with bedliner (I like the way it looks).
Is that a 4dr Sahara in all white I see in the garage too? "you are making me JEALOUS "
Old 11-28-2011, 10:31 AM
JK Junkie

Well done. I've been considering this for some time with my rig. I've seen others do it too. If done right, I think it is a valuable addition.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:00 AM
JK Newbie

Yeah that's the all white sahara 4 door. Unfortunately I do not have access to it because it is my mom's but it is a hell of a wrangler.
I like the idea of spraying it with Berliner. It will give it a rugged look
Old 11-28-2011, 11:07 AM
JK Freak

I did something very similar to my '92 XJ some 10 years ago and have thought about doing it with my JK. I believe you've added a check mark to the do it column... Nice work and welcome!

Quick Reply: Constructed an "instatrunk"