Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Completed: At Home 6.1 Hemi Conversion

Old 09-11-2009, 05:10 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Completed: At Home 6.1 Hemi Conversion

In short: 2007 JK Rubicon Unlimited. Bone stock to start. 6.1 Hemi with 5 speed automatic from Burnsville Offroad. AEV: 4.5 premium lift, 37 MT/R w/Kevlar tires, AEV Pinter wheels, and AEV front bumper with Warn 9500ti winch.

I installed a 2 post lift in the garage prior to install to facilitate a much easier install. Separated the body from the chassis. Only minor welding required for the motor mounts and transmission mount. A little more experience required to "re-clock" the header flanges to clear the upper control arm mounts on the JK. That was done professionally. A/C lines required modified as well as a little tweaking of the power steering cooling lines. A complete custom exhaust is required. I am using a Hot Rod shop here in Denver who only does mandrel bending for a true 3" exhaust all the way back.

In the end it took me 3.5 days from start to finish for the Hemi conversion. An additional 2 days for the lift and other little things to finish the job. It would have gone quicker if I has more help from buddies but when I worked on it from 6:30 till midnight every day it was a little much to ask.

Videos: Separating the body and chassis. The 1st start of the HEMI

New Shoes compared to the originals:

Body and Chassis separation (3.5 hours total from start to apart)

The Hemi in the stand (you have to replace the oil pan for proper mating to the transmission as well as remove the headers for the re-clocking)

Empty chassis waiting for a new heart and mounts:

New motor mounts:

Speaking of new heart:

Re-Clocking of the header flanges:

Ready to mate the two back together:

Friends always willing to lend a hand:

Finished:

New AEV Bumper:

Completed rig with lift and new tires and wheels:

This was nothing hard but time consuming. I wouldn't hesitate to anyone who can wrench to do this themselves. I searched long and hard prior to me taking this on trying to find someone else who did it themselves but couldn't find anyone. I am more than willing to assist anyone with what I learned along the way.

Enjoy!!

Mike

Last edited by TheMike; 09-11-2009 at 05:23 PM.
Old 09-11-2009, 05:25 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is so beautiful it brings a tear to my eye. I wish I had the wrenching knowledge to do one myself.
Old 09-11-2009, 05:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

What is funny is after all of that, you are still a "JK newbie" because you only have 5 posts. Your status should automatically be raised. Well done with the conversion. The JK looks cool separated like that. did you yank the drivetrain prior to lifting the body or after? Seems like it would be cake afterwards. I have hemi-envy!
Old 09-11-2009, 06:07 PM
JK Freak

That is truly awesome.
Old 09-11-2009, 06:13 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by theosdad
That is so beautiful it brings a tear to my eye. I wish I had the wrenching knowledge to do one myself.
I really don't consider that any harder that a lift installation. Just takes time. I was very suprises how easy it all went together. The Devil is in the details so time will tell as to long term durability. I'de do it again, no hesitation at all.
Old 09-11-2009, 06:14 PM
JK Junkie

dude that is soooooooo sick. very nice work my friend
Old 09-11-2009, 06:19 PM
Former Member

Good for you dude, that's pretty close to the perfect JK.

I want your job if you install a hydraulic lift in your "garage" to install a HEMI and a ton of other sweet stuff.
Old 09-11-2009, 06:44 PM
JK Freak

much respect to you for taking that project on. looks great
Old 09-11-2009, 06:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Perfect except that CAI - get rid of it before you have to put another engine in (I speak from experience).
Old 09-11-2009, 08:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Wow!! My hats off to you. Great Work! I cant beleive some of these places are charging 10,000 in labor.

Quick Reply: Completed: At Home 6.1 Hemi Conversion