Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Coil Over System,... Can Anyone Explain the Benefits?

Old 11-10-2008, 03:56 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wayoflife
so far as i know, off road evolution is working on developing a kit where you can use all stock control arms but no official test has been done as of yet. however, with this setup, i think the minimum height you will want out of it is 4".
Now, how is that a problem?
Old 11-10-2008, 04:22 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Robar
I believe he is talking about lifts that don't include control arms, like an economy lift of some sort.
Exactally. If I did away with my springs and shocks the only thing left is the track bar brackets and longer sway bar links. I purchased the control arms separately' Can I get the lift from the coil overs? I mean, the lift I got came from the springs. Sorry if I'm still not understanding.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:32 PM
JK Jedi Master

Yes. The coil overs replace the springs and shocks that you currently have. They call it a coil over because the coil spring is over/around the shock. Your current shock and spring mounts will be cut off and replaced with the mounts needed for the coil overs. Here is a thread with some install pics.

Project-JK Gets Off Road Evolution EVO-flex - Part 1: Front Coil
Old 11-10-2008, 04:38 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Robar
Now, how is that a problem?
it's not - at least, not really, but if you have stock tires or something smallish, your jeep will look like a roller skate. also, in order to make this work with stock arms, you will need to use cam bolts and i am not a fan of them.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:49 PM
JK Jedi Master

it's not - at least, not really, but if you have stock tires or something smallish, your jeep will look like a roller skate. also, in order to make this work with stock arms, you will need to use cam bolts and i am not a fan of them.
Oh, I see. (no pun intended) Control arms it is then.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:07 PM
JK Super Freak

if you have stock tires or something smallish, your jeep will look like a roller skate.
The visual picture that popped into my mind when I read this made me laugh out loud..... My wife looked at me with that look, then laughed herself when she read it.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

4 inches would be all I need right now. I have 35's at the moment and am thinking about going to 37's when these wear out. I was wanting to get this kit then get the control arms from Clayton. I guess I just have to save a little bit longer so it can be done all at once. Maybe I will win them in the 12 days of Christmas give away.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:26 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jerseyjk08
OK.. after reading this through.. Whats the best set up to run the Evo. I was thinking the Terraflex long arm upgrade and then get brakelines, trac bars... etc...

I have the 4.5" clayton lift but if I was going with the Evo Kit wouldn't I want to upgrade to long arms to take full advantage of the kit?
well, to take full advantage of the EVO flex kit, long arms would be the way to go. however, i can tell you that you really don't need em. i am running the EVO flex setup on my JK with short arms and it performs amazingly well. on road ride quality and handling is better than stock, on desert washes, you can jam across them like and feel smooth as silk and on the rocks, it will still give you stupid crazy flex. honestly, i would save your money and just run the EVO flex with your clayton setup first. and, if you then decide that you want more (like run 40's), go long arm at that time

Quick Reply: Coil Over System,... Can Anyone Explain the Benefits?