Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Coil Over System,... Can Anyone Explain the Benefits?

Old 06-19-2008, 06:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, forgive me 'cause I'm just learning all this Jeep stuff and real suspension lingo. Last 4x4 was an '03 Ranger and it had IFS (first bad thing) and torsion bar front springs (to make matters worse). I just threw a body lift on it and slapped some 33x12.50 boggers and threw some mud!

With this Jeep, I'm learning there are ALOT of other things to consider.

That being said, I think I followed you with most of what you said. I wasn't implying that it didn't matter whether I bought a BB or full kit? I realize that I need adjustable track bars, new driveshafts, etc.

To make it a bit clearer, one of the kits I'm considering (mainly for the warranty aspect) is the Clayton. I believe they come in 3.5" and 4.5", but if I'm going to run coilovers, would it even matter to me? I'm not going to get the Clayton springs anyway and I'll use the coilovers in their place, right? In addition, if I go with the Clayton and coilover, then when I move up from 35's to 37's (just for numbers) can the coilovers be "adjusted" to give me more lift or would I need to buy new coilovers and sell the old ones to someone else?

Hope I'm not going off too much on a tangent and/or asking stupid questions.
Old 06-19-2008, 06:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Call Adam at 203-757-0339 from Clayton. He is extremely knowledgable and helpful and he'll figure it out for you. He is even very involved with the installations so he knew his stuff and what to look out for...

I beleive the answer you are looking for is Yes the coilover spring and shock combo replaces the springs. Let Adam now of the setup you are considering and even tell him you come from JK-forum...
Old 06-19-2008, 06:22 AM
JK Super Freak

I will do that when the time comes. Right now, I'm just browsing, trying to learn as much as I can, looking at different setups to see what I like, and trying to figure out my game plan. I likely won't even have my JK until October sometime.

Thanks for your help. Maybe someone else will chime in with more info. If not, I'll cross that bridge when I've got a JK to cross it in.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:56 AM
JK Super Freak

This is the kit I'm looking at. Seems it has the adj control arms and adj front track bar included. Is the adj rear track bar an absolute necessity or could it wait?

http://www.northridge4x4.com/proddet...LAYTON-PD-JK35
Old 06-19-2008, 08:13 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KJRubiconWannaBe

To make it a bit clearer, one of the kits I'm considering (mainly for the warranty aspect) is the Clayton. I believe they come in 3.5" and 4.5", but if I'm going to run coilovers, would it even matter to me? I'm not going to get the Clayton springs anyway and I'll use the coilovers in their place, right? In addition, if I go with the Clayton and coilover, then when I move up from 35's to 37's (just for numbers) can the coilovers be "adjusted" to give me more lift or would I need to buy new coilovers and sell the old ones to someone else?

Hope I'm not going off too much on a tangent and/or asking stupid questions.
I'm not sure what the differences between the clayton 3.5" and 4.5" kit, but I would assume that the only difference component wise of these kits are the springs and possibly the shocks. If this is the case, then no it would not matter which you were to purchase.

As for adjusting the amount of lift. Once installing coilover shocks you would not have to replace anything on the EVO systems including the coilovers and springs to adjust ride height for 35's to 40's. On the coilover itself there is a spring tensioning screw that you adjust on the coilover itself, this will rise or lower you jeep by simply screwing it tighter (lifting your jeep) or screwing it looser (lowering your jeep). The only thing that is recommended after adjusting you ride (more than 2" up or down) is an alignment.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:17 AM
JK Super Freak

PM sent, EVO.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Mel is correct in his assumption...the 3.5 and 4.5 Clayton's kits are exactly the same except the spring size. Shocks don't come included with the kit and you would need to purchase them separate. The adjustable rear track bar is required on the 2 door.
Old 06-19-2008, 03:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ColinW
Mel is correct in his assumption...the 3.5 and 4.5 Clayton's kits are exactly the same except the spring size. Shocks don't come included with the kit and you would need to purchase them separate. The adjustable rear track bar is required on the 2 door.
Not disputing you, but wondering... are you with Clayton or do you have other first hand knowledge of this from an install on either yours or someone elses JK?

If you are with Clayton, can you tell me how much the kit would cost w/o springs since I'm contemplating the coilover system?
Old 07-02-2008, 10:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KJRubiconWannaBe
Not disputing you, but wondering... are you with Clayton or do you have other first hand knowledge of this from an install on either yours or someone elses JK?

If you are with Clayton, can you tell me how much the kit would cost w/o springs since I'm contemplating the coilover system?
Sorry for the delayed response...didn't see your question until tonight...

I know this little tidbit of info because I have a Clayton's suspension lift and was looking at both before I bought.

Don't know about the price w/o the springs, but the base price of it now is about $2050 (w/o the rear adj. trackbar or shocks)

www.claytonoffroad.com They have updated prices and everything. I would also give them a call up...both Clayton and Adam are great guys and great people to talk with.

Last edited by User 12721; 07-02-2008 at 10:42 PM. Reason: fixed link
Old 07-03-2008, 01:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ColinW
Sorry for the delayed response...didn't see your question until tonight...

I know this little tidbit of info because I have a Clayton's suspension lift and was looking at both before I bought.

Don't know about the price w/o the springs, but the base price of it now is about $2050 (w/o the rear adj. trackbar or shocks)

www.claytonoffroad.com They have updated prices and everything. I would also give them a call up...both Clayton and Adam are great guys and great people to talk with.
Thanks for the info. I sent 'em an email and I'll be lookin' at it more and more as soon as I have a definite date when I'll be back in the States.

Quick Reply: Coil Over System,... Can Anyone Explain the Benefits?