Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

CJ bumper to a JK

Old 04-04-2011, 06:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CJ bumper to a JK

This was given to me today by a good friend that is taking his newly found CJ to complete crawler. Now I just have to modify it to our frame.

This bumper is 35" wide at the mount where our frames are about 37" from mounting holes. I have a plan to extend it an inch on each side and add an inch to the bottom so it will bolt right up to the mounting flanges on ours. I will also add a 3/8" plate behind this to strengthen it.

Here is the starting form.

I will post more tomorrow when I get into the actual metal cutting.

These are another project.

Old 04-04-2011, 06:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Where there's a torch and welder there's a way. From the measurements it shouldn't be too hard but we will see when it gets bolted on. Plus, it's better than spending $300+ on a new one haha.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:08 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I first saw this thread I had to ask myself why you would want to do this. Then I saw the pics of what you were wanting to do. Props to ya and post up plenty of pics so we can see your progress!
Old 04-05-2011, 02:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

I got a little more into it today. I think it will fit perfectly and look pretty good too.

Not I need some 3/8" plate to make the adapters to bolt to the factory bumper mounts. It would be nice to incorporate the factory tow hooks but I think the shackles will work just fine, and I like that they are right in front of the frame.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:25 PM
JK Freak

Are you gonna use something to cover up the lower parts of the frame? I see potential for a winch mount there too.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeepguy553
Are you gonna use something to cover up the lower parts of the frame? I see potential for a winch mount there too.
Yea I am devising a skid plate type of thing for the frame. I don't want the frame to be the lowest point. There will be a winch mount in there as well in the near future. I don't have the funds for a winch just yet but this is being built with one in mind.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:38 PM
JK Freak

Gotcha, Sargeant! Good to see that you have some forward thinking.

HOOYAH!!!! GO NAVY!!!!
Old 04-06-2011, 04:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

haha Thanks. I go with the Proper prior preparation method. I am picking up a winch plate today to put in there now while I have it all apart. I should have the mounting plates cut today as well hopefully I can start welding as well.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Finally got it mounted up. I had some 3/8" steel plates cut up to match the jeep mounts and welded em into the bumper. Now it should be much stronger than factory.

Needs some cleaning up yet, how should I cover up the ends?
Old 04-13-2011, 04:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yea I could kinda cap them but I still need the area for the mounting bolts. No there isn't a hitch, the mounts in front are for a tow bar. The first owner towed it behind a giant motor-home, so that means the 35k miles that were on the clock are way wrong haha.

Quick Reply: CJ bumper to a JK