Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

chopped my front stock bumper on the weekend

Old 10-06-2011, 04:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rob_p
Thinking about this too, especially as my stock has a tree ding on the drivers side!

Any disadvantages? What's the downside of removing the air dam?

Guess I should really put some real protection down there, any recommendations with the stock bumper?
I saw no disadvantage to doing it. The only potential issue is that with some of the caps, the color/texture is not a perfect match. If I hated it, I am sure there is an abundance of clean front bumpers out there and someone would be up for a trade.

Removing the air dam will probably give you a case of the hood flutters and for me (when combined with a mild lift) resulted in a drop in mpg's. Hard to fight the aerodynamics of a brick). Interestingly, I gained back the lost mpg's when I did the Bank's Ram Air Intake. The hood flutters can be resolved in a number of ways.. Zip Tie Mod, Daystar Hood Latches, Drake latches, Jeep Swag hood thingy... I opted for the Zip Tie Mod while I sort out my own version of the Drake latches.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Thinking about this too, especially as my stock has a tree ding on the drivers side!

Any disadvantages? What's the downside of removing the air dam?

Guess I should really put some real protection down there, any recommendations with the stock bumper?
I saw no disadvantage to doing it. The only potential issue is that with some of the caps, the color/texture is not a perfect match. If I hated it, I am sure there is an abundance of clean front bumpers out there and someone would be up for a trade.

Removing the air dam will probably give you a case of the hood flutters and for me (when combined with a mild lift) resulted in a drop in mpg's. Hard to fight the aerodynamics of a brick). Interestingly, I gained back the lost mpg's when I did the Bank's Ram Air Intake. The hood flutters can be resolved in a number of ways.. Zip Tie Mod, Daystar Hood Latches, Drake latches, Jeep Swag hood thingy... I opted for the Zip Tie Mod while I sort out my own version of the Drake latches.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks.

I found the VDP end caps online, but can't find the AEV one mentioned by the OP.

Does anyone have the link?
Does anyone else supply these?
Old 10-06-2011, 09:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Thanks.

I found the VDP end caps online, but can't find the AEV one mentioned by the OP.

Does anyone have the link?
Does anyone else supply these?
Rough Country was the only other vendor I knew of other than VDP... maybe that was a typo cause those look exactly like VDP's.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:35 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by MikekiM
Rough Country was the only other vendor I knew of other than VDP... maybe that was a typo cause those look exactly like VDP's.
hey guys, yes sorry I ment the VDP caps. sorry about that. I grabbed mine off ebay, found a cheap auction one day for the VDP caps so figured I would try them out. I've seen the caps squared off as well if you like the square end stubby look.
thanks
Old 10-06-2011, 04:50 PM
JK Super Freak

The square ones are from RC...

The VDP's are working just fine for me!!

Old 10-06-2011, 05:24 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who sells the VDP caps? Do we have any sponsors on here?
Old 10-06-2011, 05:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Quadratec has them for around 60bucks I believe. One of the easiest and best looking mods I did.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

love those VDP cap
Old 10-07-2011, 02:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by scooby snacks
Who sells the VDP caps? Do we have any sponsors on here?
I ordered them from 4WD parts...

Quick Reply: chopped my front stock bumper on the weekend