Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

CHEAP but EFFECTIVE welder

Old 11-03-2010, 03:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by warlord
id say since your in az just run over to rutdiggers place and use his, im sure he wont mind
Yeah, just run on over, it's only 140 miles south.

If you are wanting to rent one to try before you buy, a couple shops in the east valley offer in shop training classes. If you want to rent instead of buy, try A-Z Rentals.

The Hobart, Miller, and Lincoln are all good units. You can buy used in any pawn shop; call around. I have the Hobart 220 and my neighbor has the Lincoln 110. My neighbor has been welding for decades, I am only a beginning hobbyist. She was always partial to Lincoln, until she tried my Hobart; there is a noticeable difference between the 110 and 220 units. If you have 220 readily available, go that route. If you don't, just get the 110 and remember to make multiple passes. You can buy the Hobart online for about what you want to spend.

Bottom line is that either one will do the job. One just does it more quickly. The real key is practice on lots of scrap. Most recycling yards in town also sell scrap steel. Pick up a bunch of shorts and drop pieces; they are cheap. Just practice welding boxes and triangular parts until you feel ready to build something.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cheap but Effective.. what do you think about flux core vs gas? Just curious. I have a craftsman flux core but it always seems really sloppy.. but then again I don't know what I'm doing most of the time with it.

Quick Reply: CHEAP but EFFECTIVE welder